• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ashes Tour

archie mac

International Coach
So I have decided to travel to England for a couple of Tests. As a person with a shocking sense of direction I have decided to go on a hosted tour. This is the one I am learning towards 2013 Ashes Series - Lord's and Old Trafford Tests + Europe - Australian Sports Tours my questions are:

Has anyone on here ever been on one of these things and what was it like?

Is anyone for CW going to England for the Ashes?

Are there better ones to go on?

Should I bite the bullet and do it alone?

Help greatly appreciated

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm thinking of doing a tour next Ashes - would be epic. I haven't been on an organised tour before though.

TNT

Banned
I have done both, travelled in a group for the Eng v Ind tests last year and have just returned from travelling around Europe with friends on our own.

We got to see and do a lot more travelling by ourselves. Travelling in a group can be frustrating if you have people within the group who are not good travelling companions.

Andre

International Regular
I'm also thinking of doing the trip, but I reckon it would be better not being in a set tour group so we can all have a bit more freedom between matches.

Couldn't rule out getting together a CW contingent for the trip.

howardj

International Coach
So I have decided to travel to England for a couple of Tests. As a person with a shocking sense of direction I have decided to go on a hosted tour. This is the one I am learning towards 2013 Ashes Series - Lord's and Old Trafford Tests + Europe - Australian Sports Tours my questions are:

Has anyone on here ever been on one of these things and what was it like?

Is anyone for CW going to England for the Ashes?

Are there better ones to go on?

Should I bite the bullet and do it alone?

Help greatly appreciated
You should do it. Even if none of your friends/partner want to go, it would still be great on your own, and after all you'll be in the company of other like-minded cricket lovers. I too have a shocking sense of direction, and this trip takes that out of the equation for you, and gives you guaranteed Test tickets. Bite the bullet.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Good idea to go for the second and third Tests - if you wait till the fourth when you're 3-0 down there won't be much in it for you

archie mac

International Coach
I'm thinking of doing a tour next Ashes - would be epic. I haven't been on an organised tour before though.
Yes sounds good, there are quite a few to choose from, just hope I pick the right one:wacko:

expensive

amsterdam with skull would be something else though
Haha, true, certainly thought about that one!

Takes the worry of getting tickets out of it though, I'd assume.
Yes a big selling point

I have done both, travelled in a group for the Eng v Ind tests last year and have just returned from travelling around Europe with friends on our own.

We got to see and do a lot more travelling by ourselves. Travelling in a group can be frustrating if you have people within the group who are not good travelling companions.
Have a few mates who want to come but can't afford it, so on my own I think:(

I'm also thinking of doing the trip, but I reckon it would be better not being in a set tour group so we can all have a bit more freedom between matches.

Couldn't rule out getting together a CW contingent for the trip.
Is an option for sure but too many thinks that worry me about organising it all, but happy to go if someone else organises it. hint, hint

You should do it. Even if none of your friends/partner want to go, it would still be great on your own, and after all you'll be in the company of other like-minded cricket lovers. I too have a shocking sense of direction, and this trip takes that out of the equation for you, and gives you guaranteed Test tickets. Bite the bullet.
Great points:cool:

Good idea to go for the second and third Tests - if you wait till the fourth when you're 3-0 down there won't be much in it for you
:D was going to come and visit you, but that remark has ended that idea:p

Camo999

State 12th Man
Archie, went on a corresponding 2009 Ashes one with Big Merv.

Fairly pricey (and looks to have gone up a couple of $k since 09) but if you can get past that, is a sensational time and definitely worth doing. With the big man one of my all-time cricketing heroes was a thrill to meet him and even better got the chance to play cards with him one evening. After breakfast each morning before play started, he also arranged a special guest to speak to the group. From memory we had the likes of Gus Fraser, Derek Pringle, Bob Willis and Jim Maxwell.

The tour guides we had were excellent - plenty of free time was available but they were also happy to organise additional optional outings for anyone interested. Went to Moulin Rouge on one of the nights we were in Paris for example and also did the Wimbledon Tour.

No problems going as a single, you'll meet new friends in no time. Demographic was mainly 40+ probably due to the price but there were quite a few in their 20s and 30s too and the organisers will tend to allocate you to room / group with similar age group etc as appropriate.

Tickets etc are all organized on your behalf and everyone is taken to the ground by coach and picked up at the end of each day. Admittedly this is the only tour like this I’ve ever done so can’t comment on any other providers but personally thought AST were fantastic.

Last edited:

archie mac

International Coach
Already kicked my son out so you can have use his room
Didn't know about that. I think I would spend a full day just gazing lovingly at your cricket book collectioN:cool: Are you going to any of the Tests?

Archie, went on a corresponding 2009 Ashes one with Big Merv.

Fairly pricey (and looks to have gone up a couple of $k since 09) but if you can get past that, is a sensational time and definitely worth doing. With the big man one of my all-time cricketing heroes was a thrill to meet him and even better got the chance to play cards with him one evening. After breakfast each morning before play started, he also arranged a special guest to speak to the group. From memory we had the likes of Gus Fraser, Derek Pringle, Bob Willis and Jim Maxwell.

The tour guides we had were excellent - plenty of free time was available but they were also happy to organise additional optional outings for anyone interested. Went to Moulin Rouge on one of the nights we were in Paris for example and also did the Wimbledon Tour.

No problems going as a single, you'll meet new friends in no time. Demographic was mainly 40+ probably due to the price but there were quite a few in their 20s and 30s too and the organisers will tend to allocate you to room / group with similar age group etc as appropriate.

Tickets etc are all organized on your behalf and everyone is taken to the ground by coach and picked up at the end of each day. Admittedly this is the only tour like this I’ve ever done so can’t comment on any other providers but personally thought AST were fantastic.
I think you have just sold me!!!!!!

I am 46 and decided against the Fanatics because they looked a bit young and the trip with Stackpole because they looked a bit old. So the age group you suggested looks about right:)

archie mac

International Coach
I am 46 and decided against the Fanatics because they looked a bit young and the trip with Stackpole because they looked a bit old. So the age group you suggested looks about right:)
haha, just read what I had written and I sound like Goldilocks:D