• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand doom and gloom thread

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Way off IMO. This is actually a big improvement. 2015 had a number of 7.5 k for Pakistan ODI, 6.3k for SL ODI. They did get 15k vs. Pakistan in 2016 for a deciding T20 game when they were 1-1 all. But yeah it's pretty abnormal to see 10k+ for any non-Australia/England/India game in the big stadiums.
20-20s have always (till now) got much bigger crowds than ODIs at Westpac, though.

Have to agree it was probably the most boring match I’ve been to. Which was disappointing after a pretty exciting ODI at the Basin a few days earlier.

Food and drink options were also light years ahead at the Basin.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
TBF, 2015, was not a typical year - everyone was going to the World Cup games, so attendances at the pre-tournament matches were naturally below average.

Also, once again there was a loooooooooot of LO cricket played in 2015 - we crammed in 10 in a month against Pakistan and Sri Lanka even before the World Cup kicked off. Again, this diluted the brand and people stopped caring.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
8k seems like a pretty good number for a t20 against a team that isn't England/India/Australia?
That's really poor. Not even bigger than the Basin Reserve capacity. Just the floodlights justifying the extra costs of hosting at the stadium.

The last T20 at the Caketin was also coincidentally v Pakistan 2 years ago:
22 January 2016 Cricket T20: New Zealand vs Pakistan: 15,252

Other recent crowds:
25 February 2017 ODI: Black Caps v South Africa - 16,145
6 February 2016 ODI: New Zealand vs Australia - 20,495
21 March 2015 ICC Cricket World Cup: New Zealand vs West Indies (Quarter Final) - 29,680
12 March 2015 ICC Cricket World Cup: South Africa vs United Arab Emirates - 4,747
1 March 2015 ICC Cricket World Cup: England vs Sri Lanka - 16,947
20 February 2015 ICC Cricket World Cup: New Zealand vs England - 29,195
31 January 2015 ODI: New Zealand vs Pakistan - 7,524
29 January 2015 ODI: New Zealand vs Sri Lanka - 6,380
15 January 2014 T20: New Zealand vs West Indies - 11,298
31 January 2014 ODI: NZ vs India - 13,811
15 February 2013 T20 NZ vs England 19,598
17 February 2012 T20: NZ vs South Africa 17,857
25 February 2012: ODI: NZ vs South Africa 9,100
22 January 2011 ODI: New Zealand vs Pakistan 7,860
26 February 2010 T20: NZ vs Australia 19,977
13 March 2010 ODI – NZ vs Australia 10,991
07 January 2009 ODI - New Zealand vs West Indies 12,384
27 January 2009 T20 - New Zealand vs India 20,636
06 March 2009 ODI - New Zealand vs India 8,475

Last edited:

Jezroy

State Captain
Should I bump this?

I can’t see us going well at the CWC with Munro and Southee.

Munro - the only better options are to reshuffle the order so Two Toes opens with Kane or Tom. Or Guptill opens with Young or someone else unproven.

Southee... I just think there are better options in ODI cricket. Bennett, Milne, Henry.

I like both Santner and Sodhi in the team.

And I’m on the Dougie/Neesh bandwagon

I hope this is the 15 they pick for the WC

Guptill
Latham
Williamson
Taylor
Nicholls
Neesham
Bracewell
Santner
Sodhi
Ferguson
Boult

Young
Bennett
Astle
Philips/Seifert/Watling

Then make sure the following guys are playing in England

Henry
Milne
Somerville
Worker
Anderson
Whoever doesn’t make the squad out of the keepers

I know I’m dreaming with Southee. But you can always hope!

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
i'd rest boult and ferguson for the last 2 matches. they're on the plane. southee and henry can have a bowl off to nail southee's very nailed coffin and to give henry one last chance to book his flight.

drop bracewell, bring in one of the many names mentioned.

munro out obviously. i'm not sold on young as an odi prospect so maybe nicholls to open?

Days of Grace

International Captain
Guptill
Latham
Williamson
Taylor
Nicholls
Neesham
CDG
Santner
Sodhi
Ferguson
Boult

CDG surely wins against Bracewell for the no.7 spot. Our no.5 bowler(s) will most likely go at 6 an over. So just pick the best batsman. With Lolro out, we can afford to have one YOLO in the top 7.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
CdG is going to have to pull an epic Grunter Elliott effort out of his arse because at this stage he looks a real waste of space.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
If everyone is fit (which they probably won't be) then my first choice XI would be:

Young, Guptill, KW, Taylor, Latham, Neesham, Anderson, Santner, Milne, Boult, Ferguson

Looks like a reasonable side. Plenty of bowling options, though the one drawback is that unless someone can convince Kane to give himself a go, there's only the 1 spin bowling option. So keep Sodhi in there as a possible substitute for Milne in the event that a pitch looks likely to take turn.

Knowing that Anderson and Milne are unlikely to be available, my first choice replacements would be CdG and Henry. CdG isn't fit to tie Elliot's shoes, but he might be of some value at number 7 coming in (hopefully) in the last 5-10 overs. Nicholls to take the final World Cup squad spot. In the likely event that Milne doesn't even make it to the tournament, Southee gets the reserve bowler spot. Tom Bruce to fill in for Anderson if he can't make it.

Last edited:

Blain

U19 Captain
CDG doesn't have the bowling capabilities to offer more than 5 overs on flat decks. His slogging is only suited to flat pitches/lesser attacks. I'm not a fan, he's being found out. Munro is similar. Can't understand why Young isn't being given a chance, easily the best bat outside the BC's. Stead being too conservative, Munro was an experiment, and the writing was on the wall months ago.

I see an article saying Astle is capable of batting 7, I call bull sh*t. He's in the Bracewell/Kuggs zone, No 8 or 9. Will be a good test for him, I'm not convinced with his bowling from what I've seen, but deserves his crack. Just like Henry. Don't have much hope ATM, but give em a crack.

The selectors tinkering with bowlers only is gloomy in itself.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
The selectors tinkering with bowlers only is gloomy in itself.
Yep, this. The selectors seem fixated on following the same blueprint from 2015, ignoring the fact that a) McCullum is retired and there's no one in the country who can do his job nearly as well; and b) with only 4 fielders outside the circle from overs 10-40, it's not even necessary to take massive risks in the first 10 (especially when Guptill is in such poor form).

Flem274*

123/5
they've also forgotten mccullum was at his best when he was hitting gaps for ones. peak baz was an absolute thief in between the big shots.

munro is far more block bash