• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand doom and gloom thread

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Not for long though, even 3-2 takes us ahead of you.

Think that has a lot to do with Australia playing a lot in the subcontinent.
England should drop below us to fifth though, I’d assume?

I think it’ll be about right once that happens ... I’d have had us on our own level below the big four over the past few years, but England have dropped off a bit ... I think we should take them out next year.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
England have dropped off a bit ... I think we should take them out next year.
I certainly hope so, and if they're the same side as we're seeing in Australia at the moment I think we will.

But I have an unpleasant feeling that they'll make some big changes post-Ashes, and some of their new blood might take to international cricket like ducks to water. We've been on the receiving end of some dream starts to test careers before, even if they've ultimately turned out to be short-lived (Joe Burns is an example that instantly springs to mind).

The Hutt Rec

I certainly hope so, and if they're the same side as we're seeing in Australia at the moment I think we will.

But I have an unpleasant feeling that they'll make some big changes post-Ashes, and some of their new blood might take to international cricket like ducks to water. We've been on the receiving end of some dream starts to test careers before, even if they've ultimately turned out to be short-lived (Joe Burns is an example that instantly springs to mind).
I was just wondering whatever happened to Joe Burns the other day!

Yeah with only one home series win against England, and that being way back in 83/84, I can definitely see something unexpected happening ... only two tests makes it unpredictable too. Gosh I hope we can do it, though!

BC_fan_abored

School Boy/Girl Captain
That session under lights in Adelaide has me a bit scared tbh. Anderson and Woakes looked next to unplayable when the ball was swinging.

jcas0167

International Debutant

Even if they don't, I suspect the English batsmen will relish the more leisurely pace of the NZ seam attack & they won't have to worry about an attacking spinner like Lyon. I expect them to fill their boots. The NZ pitches should suit Broad, Anderson & Woakes too.

Just to rub it in, a decision on Stokes will probably be made in time to allow him to join the tour.

The Hutt Rec

I like most of them, to be honest ...

I think when Canterbury took back over the tops from W Star were our darkest days, but they’ve redeemed themselves from the 2015 World Cup top onwards.

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pretty tough side to beat at home. I think only RSA have managed it in recent times.

Immenso

Williamson's career record on the rare occasion NZ play a 3rd test in a series. A 20 run improvement over his career average.

Enough of trend here to classify as what-if gloomery?

Williamson 3rd test.PNG
taken from:
Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPNcricinfo

Does the cream rise to the top once they've had a good look at their opponent?

Of course, the flipside anti-gloomery viewpoint is the more mediocre 7 or 8 of his team mates don't get the same treatment applied to them by superior opponents. Only thought about that while in the process of posting.

either way, 2 match series suck .......

Immenso

Made me curious to compare Kane with other 3 in the fab 4.
In summary, I don't think there is a trend (beyond Kane).

Would be good if Kane could dominate series early .....

Fab3 3rd test and more.PNG

The Hutt Rec

Interesting, I had him down as a player who starts off series really well, after our Aus and England tours, I guess.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
If we were to get it, White's compromise would probably be replace future NZ tests with ODIs/T20 for the next 2 years after.
I honestly wouldn't care in this case. I'm already making plans in my mind for Dec 26, 2019.

Course, White could completely **** it up such is his incompetence.

Mike5181

International Captain
Couldn't care less about one boxing day test in the grand scheme of things, tbh. I want more test cricket in general. Doesn't have to be a special occasion.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Couldn't care less about one boxing day test in the grand scheme of things, tbh. I want more test cricket in general. Doesn't have to be a special occasion.
Dunno about you but the Boxing Day test was basically the pinnacle of the cricketing summer growing up in Australia. NZC should be pushing for it. We should be in a better position to compete in 2019 compared to the last tour, too, so it should be a corker.

Athlai

Not Terrible
TBF if you had to choose between Pakistan and NZ right now, you'd go NZ. Pakistan have been looking woeful.