• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand doom and gloom thread

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Neither of them have proven that though.

McCullum retired 18 months ago now, and the two guys who have had a chance to replace him, Brownlie and Latham haven't been up to the expected level. You're kind of expectations are how you end up with a keeper averaging 10 for two and a half years, because it's supposly the "best" we have.
30 isn't 10 the last time I checked, I just want us to have a slightly more solid batting unit and it's small pickings.

Jeez mate, how many middle order utter capitulations do we need to suffer before we decide we need more steel in that batting line-up?.

Howsie

International Captain
30 isn't 10 the last time I checked, I just want us to have a slightly more solid batting unit and it's small pickings.

Jeez mate, how many middle order utter capitulations do we need to suffer before we decide we need more steel in that batting line-up?.
Oh I fully agree, hence why I would drop Broom who has been a complete spud in the middle order, play just one all rounder (Neesham) and pick a keeper who will actually score some runs.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Oh I fully agree, hence why I would drop Broom who has been a complete spud in the middle order, play just one all rounder (Neesham) and pick a keeper who will actually score some runs.
Yeah, Broom's latest selection seemed personal to me, and that pissed me off. Apparently he's very cosey with Hesson from the Otago days.

Have to take you up on Neesham though. Has shown potential with the bat at times, but can we seriously consider him an all-rounder when he's such a liability with the white ball?

We're just gifting the opposition easy runs when we throw the ball to him.

Last edited:

Howsie

International Captain
Yeah, his bowling is laughably bad for someone who has so much natural ability with the ball, but who else do we have...

Anderson has refused to improve with the bat, he's not good enough to bat in the top six. de Grandhomme isn't international standard with either discipline, Santner much the same as Anderson and Munro looks to have been given the chop.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Yeah, his bowling is laughably bad for someone who has so much natural ability with the ball, but who else do we have...

Anderson has refused to improve with the bat, he's not good enough to bat in the top six. de Grandhomme isn't international standard with either discipline, Santner much the same as Anderson and Munro looks to have been given the chop.
In Anderson's case the injuries haven't helped I suppose. Seem like a cycle - he gets injured, rushed back in when he's recovered, and is either rusty or making the same old mistakes. Some extended game time in domestic cricket might help? I would probably look at asking him to spend the greater part of next season with ND and working on his game, since there aren't a lot of international fixtures.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Good on him. Now that the selectors can't be a thorn in our side by continuing to select him in roles he's not suited for, it's time to say well done to Ronchi on a few top knocks and a brief but effective test career.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
He served us well for a time, and his woeful ODI batting in recent times betrays he could be a nifty keeper. His 170 in Dunedin and cameo test innings vs England were pretty darn good and got us out of tough spots. Could be devastating when he got going.

Looking forward to seeing who takes up the gloves next.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Yes, should have been given more chances in the test side, considering his first class form. Unfortunately he was given the endless chances in the wrong format.

Mike5181

International Captain
He probably would've been a useful player to have around 2010-12 when McCullum retired from wicket-keeping. Certainly when the likes of Young, Hopkins, and Van Wyk were being used. He looked better in first-class/test player than limited overs cricket - where he was heavily overplayed by Hesson. BJ Watling was a thing though so he was never going to get past him.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes, should have been given more chances in the test side, considering his first class form. Unfortunately he was given the endless chances in the wrong format.
That's the Colin Munro 'hits the ball hard and plays shots, therefore is better suited to limited overs cricket' rule, even when evidence and deeper thinking suggests not. Sorry, should've used the word 'intent'.

Did some good things in NZ colours, not his fault Hesson kept picking him when he should've moved on 12-18 months ago. His team mates seem to share the sentiment that he was a great team man and bloke, so that'll do for me.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
NZ contracts accounced, new players bolded.

Contracts: Corey Anderson, Trent Boult, Neil Broom, Colin de Grandhomme, Martin Guptill, Matt Henry, Tom Latham, Mitchell McClenaghan, Adam Milne, Colin Munro, Henry Nicholls, James Neesham, Jeet Raval, Mitchell Santner, Ish Sodhi, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Neil Wagner, BJ Watling, Kane Williamson, George Worker.

Omitted: Doug Bracewell, Mark Craig, Luke Ronchi (Retired)

Quote from article
Neil, as well as averaging 43 in ODI cricket (with a strike-rate of 90) since his recall, is also seen as viable cover for the Test team’s middle-order.

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, tempting to view Hesson as having no more scruples than a Deep South Howsie these days. Vastly overrating the potential of Otago's working-class domestic heroes is really nothing new with him.

Volts players in IPL contention - Mike Hesson | Stuff.co.nz

Hesson was confident Rutherford, Jimmy Neesham, Ian Butler and possibly century-maker Neil Broom would join the McCullum brothers as IPL signings for next year's tournament.

"There will be four or five guys the IPL would definitely pick up from that team. I don't think that's in any question," Hesson said.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Neil Broom and CDG will be irrelevant in two years time. Jeet Raval would be too if we had any other possible openers.