• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand doom and gloom thread

Jord

U19 Vice-Captain
Hazlewood has shown what to do if you're 130KPH without massive movement. You plug on a line and length and wait for a batsman to make a mistake. That's something neither Southee or Boult have in their game because they're so used to turning up and bowling boomerang swing at 140KPH that there isn't a plan B when that doesn't work.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Southee and Boult's overs in the last session today were pretty much the worst I've seen from them :( (though I didn't see all of their first innings bowling)

Last edited:

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Hazlewood has shown what to do if you're 130KPH without massive movement. You plug on a line and length and wait for a batsman to make a mistake. That's something neither Southee or Boult have in their game because they're so used to turning up and bowling boomerang swing at 140KPH that there isn't a plan B when that doesn't work.
hazlewood gets it to move everywhere though. Plus he's 6'169'' which helps

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Hard to believe that Wagner is our best bowler now. Don't get me wrong, I like him a lot, but I don't think he's bowing significantly better than he was a couple years ago when he was a distant third behind Southee and Boult.

Jord

U19 Vice-Captain
He's bowling to a plan and doing it with full commitment without getting bored of it and feeling he's above it. It's enabling NZ to actually be able to attack, rather than worry about where the ball is going to be pitched and what part of the field they need to run to in order to fetch it after the batsman hits it.

Southee and Boult have been absolutely dire, Wagner should never have been dropped for Bracewell and Henry doesn't look ready for test cricket.

Flem274*

123/5
looking forward to kane taking over. my pop-psychology assessment of him is he's a much colder man than mccullum. there will be less "spirit of the game!" and more "so steve smith is easily riled? my attack is bowling crap? i have an idea to get a "wicket"..." in other words i expect kane to be more like fleming. baz would never do something like the VB series go slow because #intent #dreambignz. i reckon kane would be all in for that stuff. ruthless effectiveness is his thing.

that and i hope that rather than laughs off the batting of the tail, he inserts southee's bat up southee's backside.

just as baz made a team in his own image, i really want kane to make a team in his, taylors and watlings image. pls pls.

indiaholic

International Captain
Kane will just have the Tendulkar problem where he fails to understand why other players are not as good as he is.

Flem274*

123/5
I think Kane's ruthlessness would be tempered by some feeling of moral responsibility though.
the high voice, five foot eight derpy blond guy has an interior featuring no softness imo. kimber called him a terminator and i reckon i agree - just always struck me as a man who is a wolf in sheeps clothing.

there's an ego hidden away in there too. look at his shot to get out in perth - he was treating hazlewood like a toy and got carried away.

i hope im right because kane destroying southee after one of his "innings" would just be the best

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
the high voice, five foot eight derpy blond guy has an interior featuring no softness imo. kimber called him a terminator and i reckon i agree - just always struck me as a man who is a wolf in sheeps clothing.

there's an ego hidden away in there too. look at his shot to get out in perth - he was treating hazlewood like a toy and got carried away.

i hope im right because kane destroying southee after one of his "innings" would just be the best
I've been thinking he's not really gonna sound good reading out the Dream Big New Zealand ad.

Great player, bad voice.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Still wouldn't mind Taylor getting another run at the captaincy. Still accept that it'll never happen.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Overall, I think our batting is looking reasonable going forward. If we look at the last year, when NZ has played the majority of its cricket against two of the top bowling lineups in world cricket, the numbers look decent:

KW - averaging 62.68 (if you remove his top score that average drops to 55.8)
Taylor - averaging 46.23 (22.21 if you remove his top score)
Watling - averaging 36.7 (30.3 when removing his top score)
McCullum - 36.4 (29.2)
Latham - 35.76 (29.35)
Guptill - 30.88 (23.53)

Mid-30's averages or more from everyone save Guptill is pretty good I think (though more consistency from Taylor would be nice in future). Still, given how fragile our batting became once just 1 of our first choice top 6 dropped out recently leaves me a little uneasy about the post-Baz world.

The bowling is the bigger issue at this point.

Adgey

School Boy/Girl Captain

I agree, he obviously is extremely competitive and has a strong will to win. Probably how he got so good in the first place.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I don't know how he will go ( Kane)
We have already seen him a number of times in odis and he was an average captain who made no mistakes while doing nothing memorably inventive.

The bar is pretty low as to what he has to live up to in the test match space so I am confident new Zealand's test match winning record will improve with him at the helm. Or basically even Tim southee at the helm.

I was so jealous of Australia actually having plans for our batsman. I look forward to a new era of cricket.

Godspeed Kane.