• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand doom and gloom thread

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
After 17 consecutive JAMODIs - Kane Williamson is looking more like the second coming of Ken Rutherford than Martin Crowe. Those hanging bats and dabs outside off stump, yuck.

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
After 17 consecutive JAMODIs - Kane Williamson is looking more like the second coming of Ken Rutherford than Martin Crowe. Those hanging bats and dabs outside off stump, yuck.
Reckon Pakistan kind of worked him out and then Australia just did it better. He seems like the guy who will quickly work on his game and rectify it though, so I'm not too worried.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Reckon Pakistan kind of worked him out and then Australia just did it better. He seems like the guy who will quickly work on his game and rectify it though, so I'm not too worried.
No I'm not too worried either. Will have it ironed out by the third test.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Williamson is a gun. He's hust having a trot where he's not converting starts like he was previously, mostly due to him being a bit impatient, which is out of character. He'll come good quickly. He's a class player.

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In the spirit of the thread:

KW has already peaked and will never find his touch again. He'll get a gutsy 50 against South Africa but most teams now know his weakness at drying up his run scoring on the offside. He'll be dropped for good in 2018 by head coach Craig McMillan.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I don't have a lot of faith in our batting outside of Williamson and Taylor. I also fear that Boult may never reach his from the last two years again.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I think Boult will get back. He's already bowling noticeably better and quicker now than he was at the start of the season. Thankfully he's got a nice long break after the World T20 to work on his game and figure out with the coaches where he's gone wrong in his comeback this year.

The batting is of greater concern. Latham just stubbornly refuses to convert starts. Taylor is an enormous loss (and I can't imagine he'll have any impact on the 2nd test even if he's fit given his lack of cricket over the last month). Anderson badly needs some more time in domestic cricket, and Watling has looked rubbish with the bat all season. The only positive is Guptill continuing to defy gravity by averaging 30+ since his return to test cricket.

Flem274*

123/5
Next innings and few months might decide how this squad is completed

1. Tom Latham
2. Martin Guptill (just, and with a license to play like it's an ODI in the first innings of every test)
3. Kane Williamson
4. Ross Taylor
5. Henry Nicholls (unless he spuds somehow between now and then)
6. Corey Anderson (with reservations)
7. BJ Watling
8. Mitchell Santner (given the vettori batting allrounder at 8 job)
9. Neil Wagner
10. TBA
11. TBA

12. Will Young
13. Jimmy Neesham
14. Ish Sodhi/Mark Craig/Todd Astle
15. TBA

yeah look im going to be the nasty poor fan and say taking current southee and boult anywhere is doing neither them nor NZ any favours. they're bad right now. that doesn't mean they will always be bad, but we need bond or someone good (bradburn got southee rolling back in 2012 iirc) to do some work with them to get them back to what they're meant to be. it's just heartbreaking to watch. in my heart of hearts going into this season, i didn't expect to win every series or even lose very closely but i never expected a summer of 125kph gentle long hops and straying down leg.

henry just needs to pitch the damn ball up.

i think moving forward the team needs kane and hesson to bring more ruthlessness and attention to detail. the power hitting, letting go stuff is all there but fmd in the past 12 months they've lost the refusal to die and ruthless bowling areas that the team made its name with.

Zinzan

Hate to say it (well not really), since I've been bleating on about him for nearly 12 months, but are we getting any closer to the stage that Sir Timmy privileged Southee's name is no longer written in stone when looking at our no.1 Test and ODI selection. Had a wonderful run, and who can forget his 2012-2013 seasons, but is he really still a 'given' to take the new ball in tests without any consideration for anyone else?

And surely that's Guptill's test career, especially against any decent bowling attacks. Guy just can't survive long enough and there's just too many different ways to get him out to be successful as an opener. .

Last edited:

Zinzan

Next innings and few months might decide how this squad is completed

2. Martin Guptill (just, and with a license to play like it's an ODI in the first innings of every test)
He'd be better down the order if he's going to do that replacing McCullum at 5 and playing McCullum's old role, not that I'm advocating that, but there's more value to that then his nicking out early and exposing our middle order to the new ball. He tried attacking in the 2nd innings and Wellington and it was too little too late.

Jord

U19 Vice-Captain
Martin Guptill shouldn't play test cricket. We need Martin Guptill to be at his best in limited overs cricket and we don't want the Guptill of 2013/2014 who didn't know how to do either.

The doom and gloom is more so on the fact that the legends of Boult and Southee now seem to be mythical.

Zinzan

An interesting fact about Southee is when he was dropped around 2011, he came back better than ever (2012/13), perhaps a spell might be the best thing for him.

In the last 12 months he's managed 29 wickets @ 40 in 9 tests. To make matters worse those tests were played in English, Australian and NZ conditions.

Jord

U19 Vice-Captain
This summer has been really weird. If it were only Southee that wasn't swinging the ball then you would think it's time to bench him, but none of the bowlers have really got the ball swinging frequently through the season.

Southee looked better in Australia than he did in NZ. Boult looked bad in both series. We don't play any test cricket for the rest of the season so dropping them probably isn't an option in the off season.

Zinzan

I'm not absolutely suggesting we should drop him unless there's better options, but the days of him being an absolute non-negotiable 'lock' in the XI must be wearing thin.