• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand doom and gloom thread

Skyliner

International 12th Man
If Boult was out for the Aus series, the attack should be Southee and a debut for Wheeler, and I'd have Bracewell there as third seamer as he has some physcological wood on Australia and was really good in his last test against the Lankans in Wellington.

I think it's time to dispense with Wagner. Hugely disappointing in terms of what he was built up to be vs reality.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So the best case scenario sees Boult out for 18 months. Yipee.
Yet the man that missed 18 months turned out to be (in some people's minds) the greatest quick of all time. I'd be happy if that were the case long term :p

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I can understand the doom & gloom from the NZ Herald, but It still doesn't seem to be confirmed that he actually has a 'stress fracture' as such, just some of the symptoms. So I'm still hanging onto some hope it might be something more minor, like a strain.

Skyliner

International 12th Man
Yet the man that missed 18 months turned out to be (in some people's minds) the greatest quick of all time. I'd be happy if that were the case long term :p
If Boult misses the up coming series' against Australia, I will be devastated. I have been waiting to see Boult / Southee go up against Aus with an obsessive zeal.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
The test rankings are meaningless between 2-7 right now. I don't think we have to win in AUS. I'd take a 1-1 draw.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Two exciting batting all rounders. Both stuffed with back injuries simultaneously. Sigh.

Flem274*

123/5
this is such a talkback statement to make but hear me out. I reckon ross the boss could do worse than getting an eye check up. i haven't seen his batting today but in the first innings and for the past couple of years it looks like he hasn't really been picking the line and length up as early as he did in his 20s. he shouldn't be having this issue for so long this early in his career.

his technique was always tidy without being excellent because he had moments of laziness with his strokes (attack and defence) but got away with it because his eye was ridiculous.

my other thought is, and i don't mean to talk down mcmillan because his work with mccullum has clearly done great things, but ever since macka became batting coach ross has tinkered with his technique almost every series. changing all the time can't be helping him read the ball or keep track of where off stump is.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Talkback callers are generally the dumbest people alive.
Yes, you get some shockers mixed with the occasional person who makes sense. One of the better ones did suggest they try to get Dirk Nannes as bowling coach as he had discussed during his radio commentary ways each of the bowlers could increase their pace.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
this is such a talkback statement to make but hear me out. I reckon ross the boss could do worse than getting an eye check up. i haven't seen his batting today but in the first innings and for the past couple of years it looks like he hasn't really been picking the line and length up as early as he did in his 20s. he shouldn't be having this issue for so long this early in his career.

his technique was always tidy without being excellent because he had moments of laziness with his strokes (attack and defence) but got away with it because his eye was ridiculous.

my other thought is, and i don't mean to talk down mcmillan because his work with mccullum has clearly done great things, but ever since macka became batting coach ross has tinkered with his technique almost every series. changing all the time can't be helping him read the ball or keep track of where off stump is.
Doesn't sound talkback-y or dumb at all. Genuinely good theory. You'd hope they are having regular eye checks, as much as fitness tests. I'd suggest the former is even more important. It's just so hard to pinpoint with Ross as he's had a few things go right and wrong through his career

jcas0167

International Debutant
lol, fantastic Mark Watson rant at David White calling for his resignation over the poor preparation for the test.

McMillan would certainly be familiar with the need to get eye-check ups. He switched to contacts for batting around 2000. Rutherford got laser eye surgery last season too.