• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand doom and gloom thread

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I get dismayed at the level of ignorance in analysis people demonstrate at times.

The so called educated are most often the worst offenders. A little bit of knowledge wrongly applied.

"Oooh I know some big words and higher learning concepts and theory, I am an intellectual."
A sure sign of an enormous intellect is the ability to feign ignorance to draw out one's opponent in any given debate

Flem274*

123/5
on a completely unrelated note, i would like to raise the topic of martin guptill and how much taste he has dealt out to the haters.

i just wanna hear them say they love him again.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Who the heck do you think you are, Milton Friedman?

Unfortunately I have far too much understanding of neoliberal economic concepts, and if you actually read my post it is readily accepted that he marginal utility is diminished hence where I wrote "'Im not calling any professional cricketer a money whore. You keep bringing that topic up. Out of curiosity do you think Dan Carter is a money whore? I do not. Players will play for less to play for NZ longer or coach in NZ longer, but you have to make the decision easier for them. if matching is impossible, at least lessen the opportunity cost." I quite understand that the quality of life is not linear with salary. But it does increase with more money. So the point remains entirely intact. I notice that you have ignored Flemming, Vettori and Bond's lengthened playing and coaching careers in New Zealand as opposed to say India or even Australia.

What is this mysterious threshold in regards to Watling that you refer to? Are you BJ Watling? Do you know all his personal threshold of satisfaction for all his decisions surrounding financial opportunity to be made? Do you know what his current and future opportunities are? Do you know what his aspirations are? Have you made the decision that he is content and shall remain content regardless of his future opportunities should they arise? My sole assumption is the rational assumption that he will want more pay than what he earns now, either presently or in the future, so as to secure his financial future and to do that he would want to increase his total earning potential to lead a better life in the long term. Because I understand the flaws of broad economic theory in explaining human nature of individuals, I do understand that he may not in fact be absolutely rational all the time.But don't tell me that as an international professional cricketer he is content in securing his long term financial life based on a 150k a year from his playing career which will be over at around 40 at best and quite likely earlier, even if he remains in form for several years from now. Furthermore, don't tell me that a possible star cricketer if good at another sporting code with greater or more readily available higher salaries making the chance of financial success less risky, would not consider playing that sport instead such as Rugby. Don't even tell me that a superstar cricketer or coach would not consider retiring NZ sports to take a commercial opportunity or consider moving if any only temporarily to a country with higher salaries. Even cricket commentators like Jeremy Coney have moved on. I don't miss Danny Morrison.

Furthermore, I never made the assumption that NZers hate Test Cricket and won't watch it. Quite the opposite in fact. I said "Aren't some fans drawn into ODI cricket likely to become interested in test cricket." Now it does make the assumption that ODI cricket will get more bums on seats and higher ratings on television in New Zealand than Test Cricket from the cricket neutral audience to be drawn into the game. You are free to challenge that point if you want.

You are rather condescending and ignorant to assume to know someone's knowledge and understanding of concepts. The former is an assumption at best and the latter, and given the errors in your analysis, I don't think your capable of the latter. Talking of BJ or any other cricketer starving is irrelevant and a failed use of hyperbole to clutch at straws to make a point. Its not even accurate enough to qualify as a strawman.

I am quite well versed in sociological, political science, and economic theory thanks all the same.

*you're.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Started this in the NZ tour of Aus update thread, but this really belongs in here.

Thought I'd look at the FTP programme as agreed at November 2014, as that will presumably be fairly close to what unfolds over the next few years.

It's really very bad for New Zealand. 27 tests over the next four years against top 8 opposition. By way of comparison, Sri Lanka will be playing 49, South Africa 46, Pakistan 41 and the West Indies 34. Yes even WI will be playing more test cricket than us.
Couldn't find the FTP that used to be available on cricinfo via PDF, only tours through to march '16. Is it available elsewhere?

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
on a completely unrelated note, i would like to raise the topic of martin guptill and how much taste he has dealt out to the haters.

i just wanna hear them say they love him again.

Yeah, and unsurprisingly this success he's found has come as a result of not playing the IPL and instead repeatedly toiling away around the shires of Derbyshire in the freezing cold to improve his red ball game.

Not sure how to explain that one other than "for the love of the sport". I mean, voluntarily subjecting yourself to English weather when you could be partying with Chris Gayle in Bangalore instead?

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, and unsurprisingly this success he's found has come as a result of not playing the IPL and instead repeatedly toiling away around the shires of Derbyshire in the freezing cold to improve his red ball game.

Not sure how to explain that one other than "for the love of the sport". I mean, voluntarily subjecting yourself to English weather when you could be partying with Chris Gayle in Bangalore instead?
I stand to be corrected, but I'm not sure it was 'voluntary' on his part in 2015 (even if he has made himself unavailable in prior years). Pretty sure he was available this year, but didn't make the auction.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I stand to be corrected, but I'm not sure it was 'voluntary' on his part in 2015 (even if he has made himself unavailable in prior years). Pretty sure he was available this year, but didn't make the auction.
He wasn't forced to play for Derbyshire, was what I was getting at there.

Ha. Are you sure that it had nothing at all to do with the fact that Martin Guptill was not sold in 2013 and 2014 in the IPL auctions and that the main 2015 IPL auction was held before his rich vein of World Cup form put him in the spotlight? When did he sign his county contract? How much is it for?

Furthermore, the problem with your "quip" is the counter factual of all the players in the IPL instead of "for the love of sport" to improve their red ball game.

Do Corey Anderson, Kane Williamson, Trent Boult, Tim Southee, Mitchell McClenaghan and Brendon McCullum not love the sport or New Zealand? Surely it would have been better preparation for the England series, definitely red and perhaps white ball cricket, to play cricket in England instead of partying with Chris Gayle in Bangalore?

You seem rather naive and ignorant, and certainly do not think your "ideas" through. I hope you get wiser as you get older.

Last edited: