Page 38 of 41 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: New Zealand doom and gloom thread

International Vice-Captain BeeGee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kippax View Post
    Is the meat export business Fleming's main thing now?
    Last edited by BeeGee; 01-11-2013 at 01:26 PM.

This thread is the spiritual home for NZ cricket fandom.
    Last edited by BeeGee; 01-11-2013 at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Binkley View Post
    There must be someone who is a better bet than Hesson right now though. Surely? Surely?
    PEWS.

z

It'd be just Sinclair's luck for me to be appointed coach in his first season of retirement.
    Kippax likes this.
    ~ Cribbage

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Chalk up another clean sweep from Bangladesh to our woes, and one incoming from Sri Lanka.

When we reach 50 pages by the end of the summer we should send NZC the link to this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Team of players not selected that would legitimately challenge that squad we're sending to Sri Lanka, excluding the injured/unavailable players:

Michael Papps
    Jesse Ryder
    Anaru Kitchen
    BJ Watling
    Peter Fulton
    James Franklin
    Derek de Boorder
    Jeetan Patel
    Matt Henry
    Mark Gillespie
    Hamish Bennett

Anton Devcich
    Tom Latham
    Grant Elliot
    Collin Munro
    Corey Anderson
    Luke Ronchi
    Jimmy Neesham
    Nathan McCullum
    Kyle Mills
    Adam Milne
    Mitchell McClenaghan

International Vice-Captain Riggins's Avatar
    no t mac = no good
    The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

Apparently an A tour pencilled in for the end of thus season to UAE. Not sure who we are playing or the itinerary, but I thinks a focus should be some potential ODI spinners.

Lets hope they do better, selection-wise, than what they came up with for openers on the recently completed A tour.

Quote Originally Posted by Immenso View Post
    Apparently an A tour pencilled in for the end of thus season to UAE. Not sure who we are playing or the itinerary, but I thinks a focus should be some potential ODI spinners.

Lets hope they do better, selection-wise, than what they came up with for openers on the recently completed A tour.
    Ugh. Can't believe I typed that.
    NZ A tours should not be wasted on discovering the scourge of cricket; the Limited Overs left arm darter. Just look in the sewers instead, and leave the A tour for developing real cricketers.

Quote Originally Posted by Immenso View Post

Where did you hear/read that?

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5181 View Post
    Team of players not selected that would legitimately challenge that squad we're sending to Sri Lanka.
    I know they're injured/unavailable, but even so I reckon this XI would fare better:

JL Kerr
    HG Vivian
    WA Hadlee
    ML Page
    WM Wallace
    MP Donnelly
    DAR Moloney
    EWT Tindill
    AW Roberts
    JA Dunning
    J Cowie

Luke Vivian probably at a loose end too.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike5181 View Post
    Where did you hear/read that?
    UAE at end of this season, I think was in a Fairfax article recently, about 1 paragraph or sentence in an article about something else.

Apparently 3 A tours over 2 years, with assistance of the ICC grant that NZC got earlier this year to try and stop us being so ****.

So I've been looking for some shining lights, and since recall Southee has 38 wickets @ 22.89, often bowling in conditions where penetration with the new ball is vital or you will struggle to get wickets until it starts reversing.

It's only 8 tests, but for a 24 year old that's really impressive. It's actually very easy to forget he's only 24 since he's been around for half a decade. It's encouraging to think he should have his peak years ahead of him, and he has a good chance of getting himself very close to Hadlee's wicket tally considering he's still managed to play 26 tests despite being in and out since 2008. If he plays the same ratio of tests over 10 more years (so retiring at 34) he will play 78 tests and probably more if he can keep fit, which would be a good return. I expect he will have a few form slumps along the way but his last 12 months have been in all sorts of conditions bowling to generally very fancied batting units and worldwide batting stocks appear to be taking a momentary dip after the ridiculous generation we've just had, so there are no excuses for him not putting together a very good record.

EDIT: Random q, but have we decided where we're taking India yet? Dunedin (early starts) and the Basin imo. It's a shame they're touring after Christmas when the pitches dry out. Hopefully they're not here in March like England were. They will be at home on low and slow pitches. I'd like to see something more akin to the South African series decks: little lateral movement but plenty of pace and bounce so their ****s can poop themselves and our ****s can get away with jammy hitting through the line minimal footwork.
    Last edited by Flem274*; 03-11-2013 at 09:55 PM.

International Vice-Captain Riggins's Avatar
    He also cleans up with the chix.

More optimism; since Colombo KW has played 10 tests and scored 741 @ 43.58 (2 tons, 5 fifties). Not world beating but an improvement. I suspect batting at number three for New Zealand is one of the harder jobs in world cricket. He's still only 23 as well.

Also since he became a regular thanks to Dougeh stepping on some glass, Neil Wagner has 26 @ 29.69 bowling on some pretty unfavourable pitches, tour of England excepted.
    Dan likes this.

Page 38 of 41 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast

Thread Information