• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand doom and gloom thread

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
About time too. WW's always walked a fine line but in the past few months its become just annoying.

cnerd123

likes this
Hahahaha that was quick. I didn't even get to his like his post before he was banned.

Liked it now tho.

Howsie

International Captain
I am not talking down NZ based on one performance my opinion is based on combination of NZ history and my personal take on the current side. Batting wise you guys still worry me team will remain too dependent on Williamson and Taylor. Iam not putting Brendon among the top echelons of world class batsman based on18 months this is a guy who averaged under 35 for a decade and I believe he will go back to that level. Latham and Corey are impressive buy have a lot to proof. In Watling I agree you have a world class keeper among the best in the world and bowling also has a good future though Milne and henry are also not proven yet. I think a lot of NZ future fortunes will depend on how Anderson, Latham, Henry and Milne come up if these guys can realize their potential I have no reason to believe NZ can't be among the top 3 sides in the world but till then to big them up is a bit premature methinks.
Yeah I really like this. Williamson, Taylor, Boult and Southee will only take you so far. Four top class players is enough to win with, especially if two of them are bowlers but you're not competing for the top three without some help. The bowling depth is there with the likes of Henry, Bracewell, Milne and a couple of other young bowlers who haven't played international cricket yet. The batting leaves a lot to be desired however. Latham will need to make it, as will Anderson. There isn't much in the cupboard after them though, hopefully that changes in the next 12-18 months.

vandem

International 12th Man
Y...The batting leaves a lot to be desired however. Latham will need to make it, as will Anderson. There isn't much in the cupboard after them though, hopefully that changes in the next 12-18 months.
Young?
Nicholls?

Howsie

International Captain
Young?
Nicholls?
14/15 was the first good season for both as far as I'm aware, with Young being particulary bad last season. Both averaging mid 30's so you'd probably need to see another big season for both before really getting excited.

Flem274*

123/5
Young has the technique and some good knocks in tough conditions but not the consistency...yet.

I'm liking how dismissive o'donnell can be of domestic bowlers when he gets bored of being a nuggety fighter and McClure reminds me of a raw ross taylor but both guys have very few appearances in fc to date.

Macewell has the runs and age on his side but seems suspect to spin and Mitchell hasn't scored heavily this year and also looks dubious to spinners.

There are no prodigies like kane, ross and jesse though which means we need the next gen to be watlings.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I really feel like you're doing a disservice to Watling there.

He got into the Test team relatively young as a mis-placed opener, but he was always a talent.

Flem274*

123/5
Nah, he was just another young opener who only got talked about because we had no openers and he hadn't failed yet.

And he was certainly never talked about like kane, ross, jesse and baz were.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Young has the technique and some good knocks in tough conditions but not the consistency...yet.

I'm liking how dismissive o'donnell can be of domestic bowlers when he gets bored of being a nuggety fighter and McClure reminds me of a raw ross taylor but both guys have very few appearances in fc to date.

Macewell has the runs and age on his side but seems suspect to spin and Mitchell hasn't scored heavily this year and also looks dubious to spinners.

There are no prodigies like kane, ross and jesse though which means we need the next gen to be watlings.
Have you seen McClure play? That's a similar description Paul Wiseman to what used to describe him a few years ago. It's been frustrating that he hasn't had many opportunities for Canterbury so far.

In terms of prodigies, hopefully Leopard can live up to his early billing. Phillips & Seifert also seem likely to make a big impact in the next couple of seasons.

I really feel like you're doing a disservice to Watling there.

He got into the Test team relatively young as a mis-placed opener, but he was always a talent.
I got the impression that him and Flynn were both earmarked for higher honours early on. Not in the Kane, Ryder superstar type category maybe, but certainly seen as future internationals.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
In terms of prodigies, hopefully Leopard can live up to his early billing. Phillips & Seifert also seem likely to make a big impact in the next couple of seasons.

It depends what Flem meant by generation - Seifert and Leopard are a bit younger, iirc than the others being mentioned, especially Leopard; I don't even think he is in 7th form yet.

But yes good post I was going to reply they are both our next two young hopes.

Every time I have checked the score card Seifert has not done that great this season, but here's hoping he goes better next season.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Na that wasn't doom and gloom, that was cricket. Good teams don't just hand you victories, England won out some key moments to get ahead in a game that we had almost taken control of. We should be applauding them not grumbling about ourselves*

*except Craig, #bringbackJeets

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I think you should bring back Jeets. Broad will enjoy the fact there's someone in the opposition who's less prepared to get in line.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Na that wasn't doom and gloom, that was cricket. Good teams don't just hand you victories, England won out some key moments to get ahead in a game that we had almost taken control of. We should be applauding them not grumbling about ourselves*

*except Craig, #bringbackJeets
Couldn't it be argued that England were there for the taking considering they'd lost badly in Barbados, had no permanent head coach in place and also the whole "KP" thing hanging over the whole squad? NZ were great in spells but i get the feeling they never truly believed they could win the game, hence they let England off the hook time and time again until England finally took full advantage.

That's just my opinion.