Cricket Player Manager
Page 30 of 41 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: New Zealand doom and gloom thread

International Vice-Captain Mike5181's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahnz View Post
    Team for NZA?

Raval, Redmond, Papps, Broom, Young, Anderson, Ronchi, Nethula, Milne, Wheeler, Arnel

With Sodhi, Crachopa, Latham and Butler going along as well?
    Sodhi for Nethula, Henry for Arnel. Wouldn't totally be against Mitch either.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Team for NZA?

Raval, Redmond, Papps, Broom, Young, Anderson, Ronchi, Nethula, Milne, Wheeler, Arnel

With Sodhi, Crachopa, Latham and Butler going along as well?
    Raval
    Latham
    Craigchopa
    Broom
    Young
    Mitchell
    Ronchi
    Sodhi
    Henry
    Wheeler
    Milne

Johnston
    Bartlett
    Anderson
    Carlchopa/Boam/I forget what happened last summer

We know what Papps, Redmond, Butler etc provide so I wouldn't pick them. I realise you're being realistic with your selection and I'm not though.

edit: I'm not a big fan of Latham opening either but I want him on that tour and that's where a gap is

put flynn in there too somewhere
    Last edited by Flem274*; 27-05-2013 at 12:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5181 View Post
    Sodhi for Nethula, Henry for Arnel. Wouldn't totally be against Mitch either.
    I understand the compulsion to go for youth, but it's an NZA side, not an emerging players XI. Nethula comfortably outbowled Sodhi last season, and it's hardly as though his career is about to wrap up.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    Now he can bowl outswingers at 150kph.
    Haha, can't kill that kiwi optimism [/ruggedbattlers]
    Exit pursuing a beer

I understand the compulsion to go for youth, but it's an NZA side, not an emerging players XI. Nethula comfortably outbowled Sodhi last season, and it's hardly as though his career is about to wrap up.
    I don't see any point in sending guys like Arnel over if we already know they aren't and never will be test standard. It's a waste of money, and more importantly it's a waste of an opportunity for younger guys who will be playing tests in the future. The whole team shouldn't be filled up with players with records like Sodhi/Mitch, but if we see enough talent there it's more beneficial to develop those players as best as we possibly can rather than throwing proven failures in their mid-30s in the team because they're slightly better atm.

1. Jeet Raval
    2. Tom Latham
    3. Craig Cachopa
    4. Neil Broom
    5. Jesse Ryder (should be begging him to make the trip)
    6. Daryl Mitchell
    7. Luke Ronchi+
    8. Ish Sodhi
    9. Matt Henry
    10. Adam Milne
    11. Ben Wheeler

There's no glory in winning an A series though. If someone has no realistic chance of playing for New Zealand again, then there's no real point picking him. It's great to have some experience on A squads so the younger guys on the trip can learn from those players, but I don't think anyone would call Arnel a natural leader anyway. I'd think about sending someone like Papps to captain the side and see if his P.S. revitalisation could translate to a level above in the same way Fulton's (probably briefly ) did, but there are a lot of young bowlers who are pretty highly rated here so it's a chance to get them some experience abroad.

If I was going to send an experienced bowler it'd be Butler. Firstly because he's actually improved of late and is worth having a look at, and secondly because he does seem like more of a leader.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a manís right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of oneís own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain oneís life and to keep the results of oneís own efforts.

I don't see any point in sending guys like Arnel over if we already know they aren't and never will be test standard. It's a waste of money, and more importantly it's a waste of an opportunity for younger guys who will be playing tests in the future. The whole team shouldn't be filled up with players with records like Sodhi/Mitch, but if we see enough talent there it's more beneficial to develop those players as best as we possibly can rather than throwing proven failures in their mid-30s in the team because they're slightly better atm.
    Yes because there's no chance that a 30's something cricket could ever make a contribution to the NZ side.

International Captain straw man's Avatar
    worryingly low levels of doom and gloom currently detected in this thread

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    If I was going to send an experienced bowler it'd be Butler. Firstly because he's actually improved of late and is worth having a look at, and secondly because he does seem like more of a leader.
    Yeah no Otago players ftr, due to the CL.

Guptill, Fulton and Brownlie probably all go. NZC bound to be wary of sending another underdone top team to Bangladesh, for another October spring clean.
    Last edited by Kippax; 27-05-2013 at 01:20 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Feral Abacus View Post
    Another exaggerated personality stereotype conspiracy brought to you by Kippax.
    NZ RAIN RADAR . AGRIBUSINESS MONITORING . KIPPAX CRICKET . DOOR TO THE VAULT

Yes because there's no chance that a 30's something cricket could ever make a contribution to the NZ side.

And that lasted a grand total of one test.

Contributing in one test < the development of a talented young player

Maybe if Fulton learned how to leave the ****ing ball when he was 24/25 and not in between tests in this series he could have been a decent test player.

And that lasted a grand total of one test.

Contributing in one test < the development of a talented young player

Maybe if Fulton learned how to leave the ****ing ball when he was 24/25 and not in between tests in this series he could have been a decent test player.

With the exception of the Lord's test, Fulton has been pretty decent in every match since his return - far more consistent than Rutherford.

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Jeet Raval
    Hamish Rutherford
    Craig Cachopa
    Dean Brownlie
    Tom Latham *
    Martin Guptill
    Luke Ronchi +
    Ian Butler
    Ish Sodhi
    Ben Wheeler
    Adam Milne

Corey Anderson
    Matt Henry
    Michael Papps
    Will Young
    Doug Bracewell

With the exception of the Lord's test, Fulton has been pretty decent in every match since his return - far more consistent than Rutherford.
    He's played five tests since his return, take out Auckland and he's averaged 22.

Taking out a huge score and him still averaging 22 seems decent. Not sure you could do that with any other kiwi bar Taylor.
    "Your averages, captain, coaches and players can probably survive incompetence over a relatively short series, so if youíre going to be rubbish, make sure itís against Pakistan, Sri Lanka, New Zealand or someone."

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Taking out a huge score and him still averaging 22 seems decent. Not sure you could do that with any other kiwi bar Taylor.
    It was actually two huge scores.

Page 30 of 41 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread Information