• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand doom and gloom thread

Mike5181

International Captain
Team of players not selected that would legitimately challenge that squad we're sending to Sri Lanka, excluding the injured/unavailable players:

Michael Papps
Jesse Ryder
Anaru Kitchen
BJ Watling
Peter Fulton
James Franklin
Derek de Boorder
Jeetan Patel
Matt Henry
Mark Gillespie
Hamish Bennett

Anton Devcich
Tom Latham
Grant Elliot
Collin Munro
Corey Anderson
Luke Ronchi
Jimmy Neesham
Nathan McCullum
Kyle Mills
Adam Milne
Mitchell McClenaghan

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Apparently an A tour pencilled in for the end of thus season to UAE. Not sure who we are playing or the itinerary, but I thinks a focus should be some potential ODI spinners.

Lets hope they do better, selection-wise, than what they came up with for openers on the recently completed A tour.

Immenso

Apparently an A tour pencilled in for the end of thus season to UAE. Not sure who we are playing or the itinerary, but I thinks a focus should be some potential ODI spinners.

Lets hope they do better, selection-wise, than what they came up with for openers on the recently completed A tour.
Ugh. Can't believe I typed that.
NZ A tours should not be wasted on discovering the scourge of cricket; the Limited Overs left arm darter. Just look in the sewers instead, and leave the A tour for developing real cricketers.

Mike5181

International Captain

Where did you hear/read that?

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Team of players not selected that would legitimately challenge that squad we're sending to Sri Lanka.
I know they're injured/unavailable, but even so I reckon this XI would fare better:

JL Kerr
HG Vivian
WA Hadlee
ML Page
WM Wallace
MP Donnelly
DAR Moloney
EWT Tindill
AW Roberts
JA Dunning
J Cowie

Luke Vivian probably at a loose end too.

Immenso

Where did you hear/read that?
UAE at end of this season, I think was in a Fairfax article recently, about 1 paragraph or sentence in an article about something else.

Apparently 3 A tours over 2 years, with assistance of the ICC grant that NZC got earlier this year to try and stop us being so ****.

Flem274*

123/5
So I've been looking for some shining lights, and since recall Southee has 38 wickets @ 22.89, often bowling in conditions where penetration with the new ball is vital or you will struggle to get wickets until it starts reversing.

It's only 8 tests, but for a 24 year old that's really impressive. It's actually very easy to forget he's only 24 since he's been around for half a decade. It's encouraging to think he should have his peak years ahead of him, and he has a good chance of getting himself very close to Hadlee's wicket tally considering he's still managed to play 26 tests despite being in and out since 2008. If he plays the same ratio of tests over 10 more years (so retiring at 34) he will play 78 tests and probably more if he can keep fit, which would be a good return. I expect he will have a few form slumps along the way but his last 12 months have been in all sorts of conditions bowling to generally very fancied batting units and worldwide batting stocks appear to be taking a momentary dip after the ridiculous generation we've just had, so there are no excuses for him not putting together a very good record.

EDIT: Random q, but have we decided where we're taking India yet? Dunedin (early starts) and the Basin imo. It's a shame they're touring after Christmas when the pitches dry out. Hopefully they're not here in March like England were. They will be at home on low and slow pitches. I'd like to see something more akin to the South African series decks: little lateral movement but plenty of pace and bounce so their ****s can poop themselves and our ****s can get away with jammy hitting through the line minimal footwork.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
More optimism; since Colombo KW has played 10 tests and scored 741 @ 43.58 (2 tons, 5 fifties). Not world beating but an improvement. I suspect batting at number three for New Zealand is one of the harder jobs in world cricket. He's still only 23 as well.

Also since he became a regular thanks to Dougeh stepping on some glass, Neil Wagner has 26 @ 29.69 bowling on some pretty unfavourable pitches, tour of England excepted.

Flem274*

123/5
Honestly the further back I read that tumblr the more I know KW will never hear the end of it if his team mates discover that, and Trent Boult by extension. Apparently Trent Boult likes a team hug.

Also we now know what Howsie does in his spare time.

Last edited:

Days of Grace

International Captain
Noted misery guts Glenn Turner will be on radio sport at 4pm or thereabouts.

Apparently, New Zealand cricket fans aren't allowed to feel positive for more than 24 hours.

Last edited: