• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand doom and gloom thread

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Well he's only played 2 games. Still, all the better. The more he gets carted in CC the sooner he gives up on playing for England and accepts the dismal fact that his only chance for intl cricket is to recommit to NZ.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Since we're taking this to ludicrous extremes, how about we kidnap Michael Clarke, hypnotise him into thinking he's a kiwi, forge him a kiwi birth certificate, give him a fake moustache and change his name to Clark Michaels

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
In the 12 Tests they've played together:

Tim Southee - 46 wickets @ 26.65
Trent Boult - 42 wickets @ 27.33

Can't ask for any more than that from your opening bowlers.
Actually, how about they request Dukes for certain series, Davis Cup-style. Or is the batting so bad that we can't.

draw - won 1st v Sri Lanka Napier 4 Apr 2005 Test # 1746
won inns & 38 runs won 2nd v Sri Lanka Wellington 11 Apr 2005 Test # 1748
won 27 runs lost 1st v West Indies Auckland 9 Mar 2006 Test # 1787
won 10 wickets lost 2nd v West Indies Wellington 17 Mar 2006 Test # 1790
draw - won 2nd v West Indies Napier 25 Mar 2006 Test # 1793
won 5 wickets lost 2nd v Sri Lanka Christchurch 7 Dec 2006 Test # 1820
lost 217 runs lost 2nd v Sri Lanka Wellington 15 Dec 2006 Test # 1822
won 9 wickets won 2nd v Bangladesh Dunedin 4 Jan 2008 Test # 1859
won inns & 137 runs won 2nd v Bangladesh Wellington 12 Jan 2008 Test # 1861
won 189 runs won 1st v England Hamilton 5 Mar 2008 Test # 1866
lost 126 runs won 2nd v England Wellington 13 Mar 2008 Test # 1867
lost 121 runs lost 2nd v England Napier 22 Mar 2008 Test # 1868
draw - won 1st v West Indies Dunedin 11 Dec 2008 Test # 1897
draw - lost 2nd v West Indies Napier 19 Dec 2008 Test # 1900

lost 10 wickets lost 1st v India Hamilton 18 Mar 2009 Test # 1915
draw - won 1st v India Napier 26 Mar 2009 Test # 1917
draw - won 2nd v India Wellington 3 Apr 2009 Test # 1918

won 32 runs lost 1st v Pakistan Dunedin 24 Nov 2009 Test # 1934
lost 141 runs won 2nd v Pakistan Wellington 3 Dec 2009 Test # 1938
draw - lost 2nd v Pakistan Napier 11 Dec 2009 Test # 1940
won 121 runs lost 1st v Bangladesh Hamilton 15 Feb 2010 Test # 1953
lost 10 wickets lost 2nd v Australia Wellington 19 Mar 2010 Test # 1955
lost 176 runs lost 2nd v Australia Hamilton 27 Mar 2010 Test # 1957
lost 10 wickets lost 1st v Pakistan Hamilton 7 Jan 2011 Test # 1990
draw - won 1st v Pakistan Wellington 15 Jan 2011 Test # 1991
won inns & 301 runs lost 1st v Zimbabwe Napier 26 Jan 2012 Test # 2033
draw - won 2nd v South Africa Dunedin 7 Mar 2012 Test # 2035
lost 9 wickets lost 1st v South Africa Hamilton 15 Mar 2012 Test # 2036
draw - won 2nd v South Africa Wellington 23 Mar 2012 Test # 2037
draw - won 2nd v England Dunedin 6 Mar 2013 Test # 2077
draw - won 2nd v England Wellington 14 Mar 2013 Test # 2080
draw - lost 1st v England Auckland 22 Mar 2013 Test # 2084

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
If we want to introduce new players we should start at the beginning of next season in Bangladesh imo so we can get a good look at them over an entire season.

Obviously Southee and Boult have been excellent this summer but Wagner has surprised me as well. I still think Wheeler is the second best left arm paceman in the country but Wagner has been respectable.

I'd be very tempted to introduce Adam Milne to the side before he gets too comfortable bullying domestic batsmen with sheer pace. Now he can bowl outswingers at 150kph he has the highest ceiling of any bowler in the country imo. Every time he's played in the whites for Central he's been quality so I think very soon the Shield will run out of lessons to teach him.

I'm pretty disappointed Henry hasn't made at least the Champions Trophy squad.

I'd stick with Rutherford/Fulton now. They're considerably better than any other possible opening combination we can name, and despite last night both are very good at flat track bullying.

Batting stocks are low, so it boils down to KISS selection - runs plus technique

IMO the only batsmen proven to have test standard techniques against all bowling are

Williamson
Watling
Taylor

Then there is a big gap. I don't actually think Ryder will be a saving grace either. Brownlie is a significantly better batsman than the Ryder of last summer and he is better against fast bowling in general. Ryder has always preferred to murder spinners down at number five. He would not have enjoyed Lords at all, even if he was batting properly.

We basically need the technicians in the Plunket Shield like Will Young to show they can also score huge runs next season. A bit of new blood in general would also be good because part of the problem is many batsmen in domestic cricket are not going to be test batsmen and everyone knows it. I do accept though that in many cases the batting line ups that got repeatedly destroyed by the bowlers last summer are the best many of those teams could put together.

I didn't mean to write an essay on this since it's all pretty obvious. One final note though is we need that A tour and we need it bad. We also need to make intelligent selections.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Only seen him against Sodhi at Karori Park last season. The ball was turning quite a lot in the later stages of the match. He looked a bit iffy to be honest, though he did manage to go on and score twin hundreds, so he must've been doing something right.

Flem274*

123/5
I suppose the bright side of our Bangladesh tour will be we'll be batting against pacemen who would be fortunate to play Hawke Cup.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I didn't mean to write an essay on this since it's all pretty obvious. One final note though is we need that A tour and we need it bad. We also need to make intelligent selections.
Team for NZA?

Raval, Redmond, Papps, Broom, Young, Anderson, Ronchi, Nethula, Milne, Wheeler, Arnel

With Sodhi, Crachopa, Latham and Butler going along as well?

Mike5181

International Captain
Team for NZA?

Raval, Redmond, Papps, Broom, Young, Anderson, Ronchi, Nethula, Milne, Wheeler, Arnel

Sodhi for Nethula, Henry for Arnel. Wouldn't totally be against Mitch either.

Flem274*

123/5
Team for NZA?

Raval
Latham
Craigchopa
Broom
Young
Mitchell
Ronchi
Sodhi
Henry
Wheeler
Milne

Johnston
Bartlett
Anderson
Carlchopa/Boam/I forget what happened last summer

We know what Papps, Redmond, Butler etc provide so I wouldn't pick them. I realise you're being realistic with your selection and I'm not though.

edit: I'm not a big fan of Latham opening either but I want him on that tour and that's where a gap is

put flynn in there too somewhere

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Sodhi for Nethula, Henry for Arnel. Wouldn't totally be against Mitch either.
I understand the compulsion to go for youth, but it's an NZA side, not an emerging players XI. Nethula comfortably outbowled Sodhi last season, and it's hardly as though his career is about to wrap up.

Mike5181

International Captain
I understand the compulsion to go for youth, but it's an NZA side, not an emerging players XI. Nethula comfortably outbowled Sodhi last season, and it's hardly as though his career is about to wrap up.
I don't see any point in sending guys like Arnel over if we already know they aren't and never will be test standard. It's a waste of money, and more importantly it's a waste of an opportunity for younger guys who will be playing tests in the future. The whole team shouldn't be filled up with players with records like Sodhi/Mitch, but if we see enough talent there it's more beneficial to develop those players as best as we possibly can rather than throwing proven failures in their mid-30s in the team because they're slightly better atm.

1. Jeet Raval
2. Tom Latham
3. Craig Cachopa
4. Neil Broom
5. Jesse Ryder (should be begging him to make the trip)
6. Daryl Mitchell
7. Luke Ronchi+
8. Ish Sodhi
9. Matt Henry
10. Adam Milne
11. Ben Wheeler