• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand doom and gloom thread

Mike5181

International Captain
This this this this this!!!

Williamson/Taylor/Brownlie/McCullum must think "here we ****ing go again...". I guess that's what makes the SL win so outstanding. Ross and Kane figured they may as well open and forget about the openers.
There's something in Rutherford. He was outclassed in this game but I think he'll be ok for us in the future.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I just laughed - I woke up at 1:30am and couldn't get back to sleep so I was going to watch the cricket but wait New Zealand is out for 68. But don't worry it was good bowling this time and not poor batting they say. Doesn't seem plausible when in every other inning in the game teams scored 200+.

My other thing I am cheesed off about as a fan - is Baz in the first dig. I don't know anymore if Baz can be counted on. This performance with the bat is not good enough. He makes a trademark 60 and NZ would have made 300. If you can't get in the right frame of mind to pace your inning correctly in a test match in Lords then I don't know what it will take. Going for an expansive drive on 2 runs was an ill conceived idea at best. Captain's need to be play captain's knocks and that was not a captain's knock. Maybe he will grow into the role but he is an experienced player and I think his development curve is over.

My other criticism to those say he is a great captain is why is Southee batting at 8. How can Watling bat at all sensibly with that sort of nonsense batting going on at the other end.

He should be #10 end of and should be happy is not 11. Wagner should be 8 as at least he bats with courage.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
NZ need to get away from the idea that if the batting is horribly weak (which it is) you can improve it by playing an extra batsman or all-rounder who's even more crappy than the guys you've got. And that should be the focus.

The improvement will be, at best, minimal.

The improvement NZ can make if they have a fourth bowler who isn't Martin could be huge. If they can bat a bit then it's a bonus. Concentrate on bowling teams out under par and hope for the best when it's your turn to bat.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
nz need to get away from the idea that if the batting is horribly weak (which it is) you can improve it by playing an extra batsman or all-rounder who's even more crappy than the guys you've got. And that should be the focus.

The improvement nz can make if they have a fourth bowler who isn't martin could be huge. If they can bat a bit then it's a bonus. Concentrate on bowling teams out under par and hope for the best when it's your turn to bat.
awta

Flem274*

123/5
One thing I'd add to Scaly's comment is adding a sub par allrounder or Vettori is it is good the top six have been well and truly exposed whenever they entered muppet mode this season. It is for the best. Going back to the mid 00s, the Vettori safety net has been absolving them of responsibility to an extent for too long. We would often turn 150/5 into 250-350 because Vettori/McCullum/Oram/tailender formed a partnership.

The batsmen need to get better and everyone in the top six has at least one century against one of England, South Africa or Australia aka the three best attacks in the world. Rinse and repeat those hundreds.

Fulton is the only one who has a technique that can be classed as too poor, and even he has proven he can score runs against good bowlers in the right circumstances.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
One thing I'd add to Scaly's comment is adding a sub par allrounder or Vettori is it is good the top six have been well and truly exposed whenever they entered muppet mode this season. It is for the best. Going back to the mid 00s, the Vettori safety net has been absolving them of responsibility to an extent for too long. We would often turn 150/5 into 250-350 because Vettori/McCullum/Oram/tailender formed a partnership.

The batsmen need to get better and everyone in the top six has at least one century against one of England, South Africa or Australia aka the three best attacks in the world. Rinse and repeat those hundreds.
Agreed. Time to throw them in the deep end.

Jezroy

State Captain
NZ need to get away from the idea that if the batting is horribly weak (which it is) you can improve it by playing an extra batsman or all-rounder who's even more crappy than the guys you've got. And that should be the focus.

The improvement NZ can make if they have a fourth bowler who isn't Martin could be huge. If they can bat a bit then it's a bonus. Concentrate on bowling teams out under par and hope for the best when it's your turn to bat.
Theortically, a happy, fit, in form Ryder would add a reasonable bowling option and bat in the top 6. Still whispers going around that he may be making the Bangladesh trip late this year. Who would you drop though? Have to be Brownlie?

BeeGee

International Captain
McCullum
Rutherford
Williamson
Taylor
Brownlie
Watling
Vettori
Wagner
Southee
Bracewell
Boult

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Unfortunately we're just going to have to accept that McCullum will not open. Given this, number six is a better spot for him than number five, with the hope that he can smack around the older ball.

Openers openers openers, that's what it's all about. Disappointing that last domestic season wasn't a breakthrough season for Raval, Brodie, or even for Rutherford or Latham itbt. Cupboard is bare.

Edit: Forgot Worker, who is grouped with Raval and Brodie

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Time for our favourite list

Martin Guptill
Tim McIntosh
Brad Wilson
Joseph Yovich
Jeet Raval
Jamie How
Michael Papps
Josh Brodie
Stephen Murdoch
Peter Fulton
Rob Nicol
George Worker
Tom Latham
Hamish Rutherford
Aaron Redmond

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
If Fulton retires in 12 months and Rutherford's form goes through a non unexpected dip, Aaron Redmond will be back in the team, opening with Guptill.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Theortically, a happy, fit, in form Ryder would add a reasonable bowling option and bat in the top 6. Still whispers going around that he may be making the Bangladesh trip late this year. Who would you drop though? Have to be Brownlie?
Nah we should be very wary of Klee and Siddons simply helping Ryder stuff a mountain of junk into a cupboard and then calling the house tidy, seeing it's Bangladesh and he can probably get a back-foot-camped joke innings away.

Don't let him slide down the depressing 'last years of McMillan' gutter while he's still stating a huge preference in his interest towards Test cricket; take more time and engage him in some proper repair.

Jesse Ryder vs. Blair Soper - YouTube

Mike5181

International Captain
5/6 months until the Bangladesh tour is sufficient time for mine. South Africa was a tough reintroduction to cricket last time, sure, and his other problems are well-known. But if he's not raring to go by November/December at 29 years of age, he'll never be.

Jezroy

State Captain
Don't let him slide down the depressing 'last years of McMillan' gutter while he's still stating a huge preference in his interest towards Test cricket;
Dang - those were some ugly days.

Must say, I wasn't saying "Pick Ryder for Bangladesh!", just interested to hear that if he was fit, ready, and raring to go, would many people pick him for Brownlie come October considering that he adds some bowling when fit.

Still think a middle order of Taylor/Ryder/McCullum would look frighteningly dangerous. Both for bowling attacks, and potentially for NZ fans sanity.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Sigh, in spite of all the doom and gloom, after 9 months of fairly regular test cricket it sure is going to be hard to have to wait 5 months before our next test series. :(