Cricket Player Manager
Page 18 of 41 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
Results 256 to 270 of 602
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: New Zealand doom and gloom thread

  1. #256
    International Captain BeeGee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,199
    Quote Originally Posted by straw man View Post
    WTF Chris Rattue?

    So the first article was just to get a few thousand extra clicks and links then? I guess it worked.

    Chris Rattue: Reinstate Taylor as skipper - Sport - NZ Herald News
    What a ****ing ******.

    Nice to see NZ sports journalism is just as amateur as I remember.

  2. #257
    State Vice-Captain Meridio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    London, West New Zealand
    Posts
    1,317
    There is a part of me that's ... well, happy isn't the right word, maybe satisfied ... that we've been such a steaming pile of turd this tour, if only because it's proved what anyone with half a brain knew - that Taylor's captaincy was the absolute least of our problems.

    Mostly though, I'm just utterly despairing at the state of NZ cricket. The whole organisation is rotten from top to bottom, and if those at the top continue running things they way they currently are, it's not going to get any better. I'm not usually one to say these things, since they're usually the knee-jerk reaction of the talkback radio crowd, but we need a cleanout of New Zealand Cricket. It won't happen though, and I think the likes of David White actually are deluded enough to think they're doing a good job.

    On the field, well, we're ****ed. Our batting has made no progress since the retirements of Fleming, Styris etc. I honestly can't remember the last time we made 500 in a test. Our bowling is promising, though Bracewell seems to be going backwards and we are still extremely reliant on the new ball. Obviously, our captain and coach aren't helping matters by focusing on the wrong issues - 'aggression', 'being positive' etc - rather than the things that actually matter, like technique, discipline and consistency.

    Having said that, I reckon we'll beat England in one test, just to give us false hope. We'll get flogged in the rest.

  3. #258
    Cricketer Of The Year hendrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    7,574
    McCullum set to move down the order - Yahoo! New Zealand Sport

    Coach Mike Hesson says that had Fulton been available, McCullum would have given solidity to the New Zealand middle order.

    "I don't think Brendon's game suits blunting an attack, which is what we really needed in this series," he said.

    "He applied himself for 240 balls against a top side at the top, but I don't think that's the role that he's going to play best for this team."
    Great. So now we need to find 2 new openers instead of 1.

  4. #259
    International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    away from the palms
    Posts
    6,653
    We have 9001 middle order bats baz. WAT R U DOIN

    This all points to moving Watling up to open, but then Baz has to take the gloves which we know isn't happening.
    Last edited by wellAlbidarned; 15-01-2013 at 03:58 PM.
    Exit pursuing a beer


  5. #260
    Cricketer Of The Year hendrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    7,574
    Also, I have serious questions about whether McCullum can make the side as a middle order bat when Taylor and Ryder return, especially with Watling and Brownlie performing recently.

  6. #261
    Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand
    Posts
    19,605
    Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    McCullum set to move down the order - Yahoo! New Zealand Sport
    Great. So now we need to find 2 new openers instead of 1.
    "He applied himself for 240 balls against a top side at the top, but I don't think that's the role that he's going to play best for this team."
    No ****. A good opener should apply themselves to face 240 balls per innings on average, not over an entire ****ing series.

    So where does he go? Will hesson give him 4 and shaft Taylor to somewhere else? Put him to 5 and bump Brownlie and Watling down? Or 3 and hide Williamson?

    He actually averages more with the gloves and at number 7 than anything else...
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    The NZTailender Supporting XI:
    H Rutherford, T Latham, N Broom, M Bracewell, D Brownlie, BJ Watling, D de Boorder+, M Henry, B Wheeler, H Bennett, A Milne
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

  7. #262
    Cricketer Of The Year hendrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    7,574
    I don't think Watling is up to it as a keeper and would prefer he concentrate on his batting, which has looked very solid in this new version of him.

    So I wouldn't mind if someone like Ronchi came in (if he is genuinely a good keeper - something I'm yet to be convinced of)

  8. #263
    Cricketer Of The Year hendrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    7,574
    Quote Originally Posted by NZTailender View Post
    No ****. A good opener should apply themselves to face 240 balls per innings on average, not over an entire ****ing series.

    So where does he go? Will hesson give him 4 and shaft Taylor to somewhere else? Put him to 5 and bump Brownlie and Watling down? Or 3 and hide Williamson?
    Of these, the last option is the only one that works for me, with Williamson at 5 and Brownlie at 6, Watling at 7.

    But then what happens if/when Ryder returns?

    And who are going to be our 2 new openers?

  9. #264
    Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand
    Posts
    19,605
    Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    Also, I have serious questions about whether McCullum can make the side as a middle order bat when Taylor and Ryder return, especially with Watling and Brownlie performing recently.
    For as much as I've derided him lately, I've been generally supportive of McCullum in the past, but this just does my head in. Where does he expect to bat? He's managed to push up his average as a specialist bat iirc, but he still averages 35 and isn't that consistent. I don't think he should displace Taylor or Williamson, who are more talented, will have better careers and will provide more for us in their preferred positions. McCullum flirted with being specialist number 3 before going back down the order, then wanted to open. He's changed his game, and we've had another player (Watling) change his as well. I imagine McCullum won't be taking the gloves back up, so I think, realistically, 3 is his best option, but that displaces Williamson. he could go 5 and bump the others down, but what happens to Ryder when he comes back?
    Last edited by NZTailender; 15-01-2013 at 04:11 PM.

  10. #265
    Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand
    Posts
    19,605
    Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    Of these, the last option is the only one that works for me, with Williamson at 5 and Brownlie at 6, Watling at 7.

    But then what happens if/when Ryder returns?

    And who are going to be our 2 new openers?
    Indeed. Maybe they'll get Watling to open and bring in Ronchi? Then who else? Continue with Guptill?

    If Baz takes up the gloves again i'd be overjoyed, tbf. Would solve a couple of issues. Not likely, though.

  11. #266
    Cricketer Of The Year hendrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    7,574
    Quote Originally Posted by NZTailender View Post
    He's changed his game, and we've had another playing (Watling) change his as well.?
    Yes, this is the most annoying thing.

    Watling and pretty much everyone in the team has worked around him.

    Remember when we picked actual domestic openers to open for the team? Maybe that will happen again. I suppose that's a good thing.

  12. #267
    Cricketer Of The Year hendrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    7,574
    Quote Originally Posted by NZTailender View Post
    Indeed. Maybe they'll get Watling to open and bring in Ronchi? Then who else? Continue with Guptill?

    If Baz takes up the gloves again i'd be overjoyed, tbf. Would solve a couple of issues. Not likely, though.
    I wouldn't mind this if they picked some domestic journeyman.

    Baz will not take the gloves again.

  13. #268
    International Captain straw man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    l
    Posts
    6,381
    Quote Originally Posted by NZTailender View Post
    For as much as I've derided him lately, I've been generally supportive of McCullum in the past, but this just does my head in. Where does he expect to bat? He's managed to push up his average as a specialist bat iirc, but he still averages 35 and isn't that consistent. I don't think he should displace Taylor or Williamson, who are more talented, will have better careers and will provide more for us in their preferred positions. McCullum flirted with being specialist number 3 before going back down the order, then wanted to open. He's changed his game, and we've had another player (Watling) change his as well. I imagine McCullum won't be taking the gloves back up, so I think, realistically, 3 is his best option, but that displaces Williamson. he could go 5 and bump the others down, but what happens to Ryder when he comes back?
    Pretty much agree. Really can't see McCullum being one of the best 4/5/6s in the country - would probably rank around 6th if I cbf writing it down. Remember this is someone who, to his credit, has managed to get through the new ball once or twice in all our recent series... and then every single time he gets out in the 50s or 60s and doesn't make a hundred.

    No point whatsoever in the rest of the lineup going through contortions so that we can maximise the output of one of our lesser batsmen.

  14. #269
    Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand
    Posts
    19,605
    I think he could actually do better as an opener than anywhere else. I think the fact he currently has a weak opening partner makes him look a lot worse. Find him a decent partner and he may do better? When combos get settled and know each others game, get on the same wavelength etc they can be devastating together or provide each other with enough base after getting a start for one of them to go on when the other gets out for less. Chopping and changing doesn't settle much...
    Last edited by NZTailender; 15-01-2013 at 04:25 PM.

  15. #270
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    44,181
    Giving McCullum keeps getting out to left arm spin over and over and over again, I don't see how moving him further down the other is meant to help, especially since he's clearly the best opener available.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

    Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a manís right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of oneís own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain oneís life and to keep the results of oneís own efforts.


Page 18 of 41 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •