• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand doom and gloom thread

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Right flounce aside

Here is where each blackcap kiwi born was born.

Corey Anderson - CHCH
Astle - Palmy
Boult - Rotorua
Bracewell - Tauranga
Ellis - CHCH
Flynn - unknown
Franklin - Wellington
Fulton - CHCH
Guptil - Auckland
Hira - Auckland
Latham - CHCH
McClenaghan - Hastings
Baz - Dunedin
Nathan- Dunedin
Marto - CHCH
Mills - Auckland
Milne - Palmy
Neesham - Auckland
Nicol - Auckland
Oram - Palmy
Jeetan - Wellington
Southee - Whangarei
Ross - Wellington
Daniel Luca - Auckland (grew up in Hamilton)
Kane - Tauranga

No Hamiltonians. Shocking. Someone made a post here that cricket was dieing out in Auckland and was only strong now in CHCH, Hamilton, and Palmy. I am surprised by the large number of Palmerston north boys in this list tbh.

Anyway there are some Aucklanders there which is a good thing - Although the strong CHCH and Palmy contingent show that cricket may indeed be stronger there than other cities.

Very unscientific I know.

Where did Ross grow up?

Flem274*

123/5
Palmerston North Boys is one of the best sports schools in the country so it's no surprise really.

Auckland's exported a lot of players elsewhere. CD have three in their first eleven.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Andrew Alderson surely NZ's best cricket journalist at present. Obviously cares about the game and follows it closely and that comes through in his writing - contrast to Richard Boock who seems to just want attention and to feel special.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Seemed to ignore that NZ is ranked below Bangers in the ODI rankings. Could've been a pretty scathing remark edged that way.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Call me crazy, but I'm still holding out some hope that sanity will prevail and Taylor will once again be offered the test captaincy and accept it. I'm aware that horse is likely bolted, but I genuinely think NZ would be better off with McCullum taking the short forms and Taylor the longer form. What about a separate short-form and long-form coach as well?

Last edited:

Days of Grace

International Captain
Don't mind the split captaincy idea but I think Taylor is only thinking about getting back onto the park again, tbh.

Should be one coach for all formats.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I think the split captaincy could work and Taylor might accept it if Hesson wasn't the coach. Don't see any way Taylor could be captain under Hesson though.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I agree it wouldn't be a bad idea, but it won't happen now. If Taylor wanted the test captaincy then he should've humbled his pride when Hesson and the NZC offered it to him.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Couldn't have accepted it with Hesson remaining as coach - would be unworkable
Well then you'll be waiting for a while. This series win will have bought Hesson some serious time as coach. Even if NZ do terribly from now on (less likely given the return of several critical players) I can't see his place coming under pressure any sooner than the Champion's Trophy.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I agree it wouldn't be a bad idea, but it won't happen now. If Taylor wanted the test captaincy then he should've humbled his pride when Hesson and the NZC offered it to him.
Disagree, I think everybody, including those pranksters from NZC understood the context in which Taylor declined it. Whether he would accept it or not is another matter, but they NZC should at least try to pursue it since things have cooled down.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Well then you'll be waiting for a while. This series win will have bought Hesson some serious time as coach. Even if NZ do terribly from now on (less likely given the return of several critical players) I can't see his place coming under pressure any sooner than the Champion's Trophy.
Maybe so, but that that just shows that what should happen and what will happen often tend to be different.

Fundamentally, I just cannot see NZ's team culture and results progressing under Hesson. He's the Rob Nicol of coaches. Doesn't know what to do so just charges and swings wildly.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
He managed to get through the test against Sri Lanka alright, and that was arguably an even worse position for him to be in.
But to work long term under someone who doesn't support you and probably actively undermines you is all but impossible. And to everyone else it just looks like you're doing a **** job.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Tbf, in the long-term, having McCullum as captain might work out well, once he learns the skills of the job at international level and we can have Taylor to play his natural game and hopefully pile on the runs (though he did average better as captain, but that may also coincide in his best form with the bat to date and not include his slow start). Hesson should go, though. The whole thing was handled poorly as we know but Hesson has been shown up as just awful. We can do better than this guy, surely.