• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand doom and gloom thread

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I think Hesson is correct up to a point. McCullum should have always stayed in the middle order.

The problem is that since he's moved to opening we have not picked out any other promising openers, but we have picked out tons of middle order batsmen.

Indeed in the case of Watling we've asked him to move into the middle order and take the gloves.

Moving around the order has also reduced McCullum's accountability.

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
1. D Brownlie
2. C Munro
3. K Williamson
4. B McCullum
5. B Watling
6. L Ronchi+
7. N McCullum
8. J Patel
9. D Bracewell
10. T Southee
11. T Boult

:ph34r:
Surely you can find a spot for Wagner somewhere, and Bulter deserves a spot for topping the wickets table :ph34r:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
The problem is that since he's moved to opening we have not picked out any other promising openers, but we have picked out tons of middle order batsmen.
It's because we don't have any. Guptill was the most promising of a bad bunch.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
It's because we don't have any. Guptill was the most promising of a bad bunch.
Well, not even promising. Just someone who could average 30 and soak up a ****load of deliveries.

The Craig Cummings, Tim McIntosh's, Aaron Redmonds etc would have had more of a chance to stake their place in the team had McCullum not switched.

Now we're not even left with an incumbent, because there's no way Guptill can be retained.

In my book this means that it is best for the team if McCullum remains an opener.

banquetbear

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
...well: at quarter to seven this morning Tony Veitch told us that he was going to reveal what the "new information" was that New Zealand Cricket was investigating and that it didn't look good for Mike Hesson. After seven: Veitch said that he could no longer reveal that information for legal reasons.

Hmmmmmm: any speculation?

BeeGee

International Captain
...well: at quarter to seven this morning Tony Veitch told us that he was going to reveal what the "new information" was that New Zealand Cricket was investigating and that it didn't look good for Mike Hesson. After seven: Veitch said that he could no longer reveal that information for legal reasons.

Hmmmmmm: any speculation?
He has a chipmunk fetish and he wets the bed?

I don't care what it is, just please, please, please let it be bad enough to get Hesson fired.

I know it won't happen, but **** I want that prick gone so bad.

Last edited:

Blain

U19 Captain
He has had "relations" with the McCullum clan? Na but seriously, I heard a bit of this in the car and TV normally has pretty good sources.

I wouldnt mind seeing Siddons coach the Blackcaps tbh, the way Tamin Iqbal has talked of him is pretty hard to ignore, saying he is easily the best coach he has ever had and came to NZ for some batting coaching..

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
...well: at quarter to seven this morning Tony Veitch told us that he was going to reveal what the "new information" was that New Zealand Cricket was investigating
lol,

I don't think there is any new information. Why would they tell the press about it if they don't want to say what it is?

It's just something to make them seem like they're doing a job.

banquetbear

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
lol,

I don't think there is any new information. Why would they tell the press about it if they don't want to say what it is?

It's just something to make them seem like they're doing a job.
...it was obviously leaked: it didn't come from NZ Cricket itself. Veitch claimed it didn't make Hesson look good: obviously someone told NZ Cricket who got the lawyers involved.

This is in regards to comments made by Moller in the press conference last year.

Since then, the board has been presented with additional material related to the captaincy saga.
“This additional material is about clarifying and being clear of the process of what occurred,” says Moller.

Moller wouldn't reveal more about the material, but it could be key in answering Taylor's claim someone is "definitely" lying over issues relating to his axing from the captaincy.
Read more: Chris Moller: New Zealand Cricket 'looking into' Ross Taylor's comments - Story - 3 Sport - 3 News

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Looking forward to "we have concluded that the players and management have been through enough difficulties in recent times so it is best that we build some stability in the ranks blah blah mchesson will stay" any time now.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
To be honest, while I don't like Hesson for the central part he played in the Taylor debacle, I really don't think that another coach and captaincy change is what this team needs right now. I'd be prepared to give Hesson a chance to mend fences with Taylor, and hopefully put this whole shambolic episode in the past.

At the very least I don't think a change should be considered until after the Champion's Trophy later this year. If by that stage results still haven't picked up, then it's fair enough to start casting about for someone else.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
To be honest, while I don't like Hesson for the central part he played in the Taylor debacle, I really don't think that another coach and captaincy change is what this team needs right now. I'd be prepared to give Hesson a chance to mend fences with Taylor, and hopefully put this whole shambolic episode in the past.

At the very least I don't think a change should be considered until after the Champion's Trophy later this year. If by that stage results still haven't picked up, then it's fair enough to start casting about for someone else.
+1.

As much as Taylor may have been alienated by the debacle, there are other players who are just starting a relationship with the coach and it wouldn't be good for them to have to start that process all over again.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing

Yeah agree with this actually. The fact he doesn't want to screw about with Watling's role anymore put a few points in his favour with me.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Hesson wants McCullum to go down the order. He stripped Taylor of the captaincy and gave it to his mate.

What more is there to say. Good riddance.

Good things he has done:

Giving wagner a run in the second test was probably the right move even though it didn't work and even though he didn't perform in the warm up game. It was the right move as Wagner has done so well in domestic cricket that he deserved a couple of chances.

Flem274*

123/5
Hesson also deserves credit for not moving Watling (yet). Would be so easy to do on spur of the moment.

Surely the McCullum -> middle order won't happen though.

BeeGee

International Captain
Hesson wants McCullum to go down the order. He stripped Taylor of the captaincy and gave it to his mate.

What more is there to say. Good riddance.

Good things he has done:

Giving wagner a run in the second test was probably the right move even though it didn't work and even though he didn't perform in the warm up game. It was the right move as Wagner has done so well in domestic cricket that he deserved a couple of chances.
The worst thing Hesson did was to lie about the whole Taylor-gate affair to try and make himself look better and Taylor look worse. That tells you a lot about the sort of character he is. Very, very low.