• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand doom and gloom thread

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I've seen two articles from NZ press, both trying to lay blame at Taylor, with the caveat of "yes, NZ stuffed up" for one line, and spending the rest of the time castigating Ross. Seems weird.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Well Richard Boock's brother Stephen is the president of the NZC board. So I guess this is the unofficial word from the NZC board i.e. 'we did nothing wrong... oh no it couldn't possibly be our fault... it wasn't as bad as was made out... it's all Ross Taylor's fault'.

Say it enough times and people will start to believe it unfortunately.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I've seen two articles from NZ press, both trying to lay blame at Taylor, with the caveat of "yes, NZ stuffed up" for one line, and spending the rest of the time castigating Ross. Seems weird.
Yes the phrase 'handled appallingly' has been trotted recently in the media followed by 'but........'.

'Handled appallingly' is so far from the full story that it's almost a euphemism. It implies some sort of situation completely outside of anyone's control just arose of it's own will, and the worst Hesson, White, the Board etc did was merely respond a little inadequately and not make the right noises to the media.

So I guess that PR team NZC hired are doing their jobs :dry:

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
...did anyone read the Richard Boock article today in the Hearld?

Ross Taylor NZ Cricket Richard Boock | Stuff.co.nz

This is the "new meme" thats being trotted out, there was another article earlier this week with similar sentiment on the radio today as well.

I know that Boock has inside information from the team: and he has been on the attack against Taylor since he made his "Taylor is abusive" allegations a few weeks ago.

If, according to Boock, Taylors abuse of players was so bad it had become an employment issue, why is he in such a rush to get Taylor back into the side? The truth of course, is that Richard Boock is trolling: but he is IMHO expressing the "opinions" of some in the team, and I really want to know who these people are.

Disappointing article

banquetbear

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
So I guess that PR team NZC hired are doing their jobs :dry:
...they are actually using the "Karl Rovian" method of "creating their own reality." Repeat something often enough, and get enough people to repeat it, and "reality is substituted by a new reality."

So far Boock has tried to convince us that Ross Taylor was abusing players in the dressing room. That he had "lost the dressing room." That he had lost the respect of the players. That McCullum is a more exciting, risk taking captain that would be better for the team. Now he (and others) are trying to make Taylor look like a spoilt, petulant brat. No mention of the terrible shot that McCullum decided to play yesterday in his first over against spin. No mention of all the prep work the NZ team has done this week has been to prepare them against a style of bowling they weren't likely to face. Yesterday's performance was the fault of a man in another country thousands of miles away.

The problem is that this is actually how Richard Boock see's it. And he's not the only one: there are others in NZ Cricket who see it the same way. There are people in the team who see it the same way. They have created their "own reality" and are continuing on, blissfully unaware of how the real cricket fan perceives the issue.

NZ Cricket doesn't need a risk-taking inexperienced captain and an inexperienced poor communicator coach. What it needed walked away from the team last year and got fired a few months ago. And as a long time fan of NZ Cricket who, last year started to really fall back in love with a team that was starting to get into a pattern of winning, I'm heartbroken. Last season the team fought. We lost some games: but we won two hard fought tests and we managed to hold out for some respectable draws. This year: apart from Taylor's fighting knock, the "heart" is all gone. And its "heart" that makes a good team great. Winning is a habit. It was a habit we were starting to get into last season. Its all uphill from here.

Sorry for the rant: long time cricket supporter who is currently absolutely shattered right now.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
...they are actually using the "Karl Rovian" method of "creating their own reality." Repeat something often enough, and get enough people to repeat it, and "reality is substituted by a new reality."

So far Boock has tried to convince us that Ross Taylor was abusing players in the dressing room. That he had "lost the dressing room." That he had lost the respect of the players. That McCullum is a more exciting, risk taking captain that would be better for the team. Now he (and others) are trying to make Taylor look like a spoilt, petulant brat. No mention of the terrible shot that McCullum decided to play yesterday in his first over against spin. No mention of all the prep work the NZ team has done this week has been to prepare them against a style of bowling they weren't likely to face. Yesterday's performance was the fault of a man in another country thousands of miles away.
It's how dysfunctional organisations work (for NZC you can tick off most of the common problems listed here). Something goes wrong and if none of those in positions of power have both insight and courage then they look around at each other and band together to protect themselves and their peers. If some underling needs to be hung out to dry then that's just what happens - and the national team's captain is certainly a mere underling in the corporate-style heirarchy they've drawn for themselves (the coach is the captain's 'boss' ffs).

So either Taylor must be wrong or all of Hesson, White and the Board must be in the wrong. It's a dysfunctional organisation so the question of who is actually in the right is not important.

That's enough cynical complaining from me... I'm usually a very optimistic person believe it or not :huh:

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I mentioned it in the SA tour thread, but Jeremy Coney, a voice of reason if ever there was one, was as close to scathing about Hesson as someone as urbane as Jez is ever going to get on the UK Sky coverage.

He doubted Hesson's credentials for the job and more or less accused him of telling porkies about the whole "stripping Taylor of the captaincy" debacle.

banquetbear

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
...Deaker has just called for a clean-out of NZ cricket. He says he had a long chat with a NZ cricket insider today who told him the agenda's of people at the top of NZ Cricket. He said he couldn't name names: then proceeded to name Bill Francis and Chris Moller in an unrelated matter.

Waiting for the investigative journalists to get hold of this: there is an agenda here, but I can't see what it is.

jcas0167

International Debutant
...Deaker has just called for a clean-out of NZ cricket. He says he had a long chat with a NZ cricket insider today who told him the agenda's of people at the top of NZ Cricket. He said he couldn't name names: then proceeded to name Bill Francis and Chris Moller in an unrelated matter.

Waiting for the investigative journalists to get hold of this: there is an agenda here, but I can't see what it is.
Never assume malice when stupidity will suffice. - Napoleon Bonaparte.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
So after a nice high for a couple of weeks after the Colombo test, I'm back to pretty much full doom and gloom now. Yes we'll be a much better side with the reintroduction of Taylor and Southee (and an even better one in the unlikely event that Ryder and Vettori are ready to play), but the same old problems persist that are always going to hold us back. We have no test class top 3 batsmen in the country. One wicket usually leads to a couple more. The bowling is over reliant on the new ball to cause damage etc.

What this latest shambles these evening also makes plain is that neither Brownlie nor Watling are the answer to our top order woes, and should stay where they are now.

Still reckon it'll be 5-0 to England (weather permitting).

Last edited:

Meridio

International Regular
There is a part of me that's ... well, happy isn't the right word, maybe satisfied ... that we've been such a steaming pile of turd this tour, if only because it's proved what anyone with half a brain knew - that Taylor's captaincy was the absolute least of our problems.

Mostly though, I'm just utterly despairing at the state of NZ cricket. The whole organisation is rotten from top to bottom, and if those at the top continue running things they way they currently are, it's not going to get any better. I'm not usually one to say these things, since they're usually the knee-jerk reaction of the talkback radio crowd, but we need a cleanout of New Zealand Cricket. It won't happen though, and I think the likes of David White actually are deluded enough to think they're doing a good job.

On the field, well, we're ****ed. Our batting has made no progress since the retirements of Fleming, Styris etc. I honestly can't remember the last time we made 500 in a test. Our bowling is promising, though Bracewell seems to be going backwards and we are still extremely reliant on the new ball. Obviously, our captain and coach aren't helping matters by focusing on the wrong issues - 'aggression', 'being positive' etc - rather than the things that actually matter, like technique, discipline and consistency.

Having said that, I reckon we'll beat England in one test, just to give us false hope. We'll get flogged in the rest.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
McCullum set to move down the order - Yahoo! New Zealand Sport

Coach Mike Hesson says that had Fulton been available, McCullum would have given solidity to the New Zealand middle order.

"I don't think Brendon's game suits blunting an attack, which is what we really needed in this series," he said.

"He applied himself for 240 balls against a top side at the top, but I don't think that's the role that he's going to play best for this team."
Great. So now we need to find 2 new openers instead of 1.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
We have 9001 middle order bats baz. WAT R U DOIN

This all points to moving Watling up to open, but then Baz has to take the gloves which we know isn't happening.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Also, I have serious questions about whether McCullum can make the side as a middle order bat when Taylor and Ryder return, especially with Watling and Brownlie performing recently.