Cricket Player Manager
Page 13 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: New Zealand doom and gloom thread

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    I was a bit wrong with my runs predictions. I also forgot Ryder and Redmond existed.

Cachopa 466 @ 77
    Munro 446 @ 148 (lol)
    Fulton 435 @ 72
    Redmond 405 @ 50
    Ryder 368 @ 92
    Papps 337 @ 67 (two thirds in one innings)

Those are the 300+ after three and a half rounds (Canterbury have only played 3 matches). Brownlie is next on the list with 297 @ 49.50, with two hundreds and nothing else in 6 innings.

You get the feeling Munro at home will do some serious damage this year.
    Last edited by Flem274*; 29-11-2012 at 07:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    We've now won two tests away from home in less than 12 months. I can't remember for sure when was the last time that we managed this (not counting zim and bangladesh), but I can't think of any occasion more recently than when we beat England 2-1 in 1999 (obviously on that occasion the victories were slightly closer together.

In fact, I can think of only one away test match victory between 1999 and Hobart - when Bond knocked over a miserable Windies side in 2002. If this is accurate (cbf checking) then that is a remarkable failing of what was (until 2007 at least) still a pretty strong side.

I guess it says a lot about how much the team has changed in the past 10 years. Fleming had an usually solid batting lineup (with competent batsmen from 1-10) for much of his reign. However, after the injuries to Nash, Vettori and Cairns in 1999/2000 the side's bowling attack was a little pedestrian. Even when Bond came into the team, we only really looked likely to consistently grab 20 wickets with the advantage of home conditions. But the batting was so solid that we still performed credibly, with drawn series in Australia, SL and India from 2001-2003.

It's too early to say for sure, but it's beginning to appear that we now have the opposite problem. Our batting is so weak, that we're unlikely to score enough runs to be competitive with any consistency. As a result, even at home, we'll lose most test series that we play (especially when they're 3 matches long) - and by bad scorelines too. But with New Zealand now apparently only able to secure 2-test match tours, our bowlers will give us a chance to pinch the odd match, and thereby draw test series with what are (on paper at least) much stronger sides.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahnz View Post
    We've now won two tests away from home in less than 12 months. I can't remember for sure when was the last time that we managed this (not counting zim and bangladesh), but I can't think of any occasion more recently than when we beat England 2-1 in 1999 (obviously on that occasion the victories were slightly closer together.

In fact, I can think of only one away test match victory between 1999 and Hobart - when Bond knocked over a miserable Windies side in 2002. If this is accurate (cbf checking) then that is a remarkable failing of what was (until 2007 at least) still a pretty strong side.

I guess it says a lot about how much the team has changed in the past 10 years. Fleming had an usually solid batting lineup (with competent batsmen from 1-10) for much of his reign. However, after the injuries to Nash, Vettori and Cairns in 1999/2000 the side's bowling attack was a little pedestrian. Even when Bond came into the team, we only really looked likely to consistently grab 20 wickets with the advantage of home conditions. But the batting was so solid that we still performed credibly, with drawn series in Australia, SL and India from 2001-2003.

It's too early to say for sure, but it's beginning to appear that we now have the opposite problem. Our batting is so weak, that we're unlikely to score enough runs to be competitive with any consistency. As a result, even at home, we'll lose most test series that we play (especially when they're 3 matches long) - and by bad scorelines too. But with New Zealand now apparently only able to secure 2-test match tours, our bowlers will give us a chance to pinch the odd match, and thereby draw test series with what are (on paper at least) much stronger sides.
    Excellent post by Sir Sunshine and Rainbows
    Exit pursuing a beer

Quote Originally Posted by wellAlbidarned View Post
    Excellent post by Sir Sunshine and Rainbows

Hey they've got 7 tests in the next 6 months to prove me wrong.

I found some doom and gloom guys. Eeyore mentioning Fleming's side reminded me of something. This era is surely the weakest Canterbury has been in its entire history. The home of Paddles produced Fleming, Cairns, Bond, Astle, McMillan, Martin and Harris who all were a big part of NZ international sides in our last good era. Now their openers are imports, their best batsman is an Australian import and their two best quicks by quite some distance are currently injured. Since Bond their recent contributions to the top side have been Papps, Fulton, Ellis, Latham and Tastle.

Wellington are making steps in the right direction by importing kiwis who can't get a go for their home sides, along with playing young guys like Pollard and Boam, but for their population and their centralisation they aren't pulling their weight.

You look at the team and upcoming players now and it's all products of Central and Northern Districts. McCullum, Jeets and Guptill are the only exceptions currently in the test eleven consistently. Ryder plays for Wellington now but he was produced in Gods own district. A combined ND/CD eleven would wipe the floor with an eleven made from the other four combined.

edit: hang on did I just say Canterbury being **** was a bad thing? Someone infract me asap.

Anton Devcich just brought up 50. Definitely worthy of this thread.

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    @Flem it is time for your annual analysis where you compare the blackcaps batsman's averages against their FC averages to see if they are over or under performing in Tests...can you do it again?
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    @Flem it is time for your annual analysis where you compare the blackcaps batsman's averages against their FC averages to see if they are over or under performing in Tests...can you do it again?
    I guess I could post some numbers later on.

and we thought we were going to lock this thread...

Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    and we thought we were going to lock this thread...

International Vice-Captain Mike5181's Avatar

So top order for SAF:
    Avg
    McCullum 37
    Guptill 25
    Williamson 32
    Brownlie 31
    Flynn 30
    Franklin 25

Quality.

Fabulous.

Although our most recent Test is one of the best performances I've from NZ in a long time, I've never felt doomier and gloomier.

Same. Genuinely am wondering why I bother now. Have put up with so many bad performances over the years, yet I've always supported us, and have been pissed off at fair weather fans that have given up after a few bad games. Now though, am just feeling hollow.

International Captain straw man's Avatar
    Yeah so we're completely and utterly ****ed

Tune in again in 2017 to see if we're just starting to get over this....

Page 13 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread Information