• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand doom and gloom thread

Flem274*

123/5
Daniel Flynn can't be put in the same bracket as the rest yet imo. Was competent in SL and looked good last night before he was forced to slog at 9 down.

I'm feeling very apathetic atm itbt.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Against non-minnows:
Brendon McCullum averages 37.28 as an opener.
Martin Guptill 25.71
Kane Williamson 31.30
Dean Brownlie 30.30
Daniel Flynn 26.31
BJ Watling 22.44
James Franklin 18.73 (2008-now)
You're the man :thumbsup:.

Our batsmen are not the man.

McCullum's average still dining out on that double hundred vs India back in 2010 too.

Sad thing is that that excluding injured/unavailable players and not counting perennial non-contributor James Franklin, there's noone else I'd rather have in that batting lineup right now.

Last edited:

Meridio

International Regular
And change how we train players, too. Batting techniques throughout the country seem quite rotten.
Yeah, and when they do have a good technique we try and coach it out of them:

Over-coached as a teen, Boam is essentially still a very orthodox player. But at the behest of Firebirds coach Jamie Siddons, Boam is now trying to become a hitter too, particularly in the Twenty20 format.
From Murdoch and Boam enter Karori folklore | Stuff.co.nz

Mike5181

International Captain
Daniel Flynn can't be put in the same bracket as the rest yet imo. Was competent in SL and looked good last night before he was forced to slog at 9 down.

I'm feeling very apathetic atm itbt.
I just hope that after this series is done, we don't revert back to the older guys like Fulton, Papps, Mcintosh etc. Make the necessary changes, and bring Southee, Taylor, Ryder, and Vettori back. I doubt Ronchi will be left for long after he becomes eligible either. I'd give Watling these two, and possibly a couple more test matches to prove himself though. I'd like to see one of Milne/Wheeler/Henry take a spot in the squad against England. Chris Martin's past it, and there's not much point having both Patel/Bruce Martin. Other than that, these are the best players we have. We just have to live with it, and get our preparation/attitude as good as they possibly can be.

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Somehow missed this article on Vettori's injury and return, though is a little short on details.

Cricket: Vettori delays big decision - Sport - NZ Herald News

Whispers had started turning to shouts that this summer's home series against England would mark Vettori's international swansong, but his continued absence from cricket could delay any such announcement.

"I don't want to make any big decision like that while I'm injured," he told the Herald. "When you do that, you make poor decisions because you do them without any clarity."
Vettori was reluctant to make the three-test England series his target for two reasons: there are no guarantees his body would respond in time; and it would be arrogant to assume that a return to fitness would automatically constitute a return to the national side. "Jeetan Patel and Bruce Martin could be the incumbents by then," Vettori said.
Wonder what he's thinking of the current team situation. Must be tempting to look at it, think 'screw that' and walk away. Really hoping he finds the inner desire and strength to work through the injury, make a comeback and contribute to the team. It will be hard work.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Sad thing is that that excluding injured/unavailable players and not counting perennial non-contributor James Franklin, there's noone else I'd rather have in that batting lineup right now.
Is cachopa (cd version) really that bad against the short ball.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Those investment properties I bought in the Hadlee/Crowe era are sure paying off right about now.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Starting to get a sense of just how critical an in-form Southee is to this bowling lineup. I know South Africa have probably the best batting lineup in the world, but conceding 520 for 8 at 3.5 rpo on the same pitch on which you fall to 40/6 is as much a reflection on your bowlers as it is on your batsmen.

banquetbear

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
...did anyone read the Richard Boock article today in the Hearld?

Ross Taylor NZ Cricket Richard Boock | Stuff.co.nz

This is the "new meme" thats being trotted out, there was another article earlier this week with similar sentiment on the radio today as well.

I know that Boock has inside information from the team: and he has been on the attack against Taylor since he made his "Taylor is abusive" allegations a few weeks ago.

If, according to Boock, Taylors abuse of players was so bad it had become an employment issue, why is he in such a rush to get Taylor back into the side? The truth of course, is that Richard Boock is trolling: but he is IMHO expressing the "opinions" of some in the team, and I really want to know who these people are.