• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand doom and gloom thread

Flem274*

123/5
I was a bit wrong with my runs predictions. I also forgot Ryder and Redmond existed.

Cachopa 466 @ 77
Munro 446 @ 148 (lol)
Fulton 435 @ 72
Redmond 405 @ 50
Ryder 368 @ 92
Papps 337 @ 67 (two thirds in one innings)

Those are the 300+ after three and a half rounds (Canterbury have only played 3 matches). Brownlie is next on the list with 297 @ 49.50, with two hundreds and nothing else in 6 innings.

You get the feeling Munro at home will do some serious damage this year.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
We've now won two tests away from home in less than 12 months. I can't remember for sure when was the last time that we managed this (not counting zim and bangladesh), but I can't think of any occasion more recently than when we beat England 2-1 in 1999 (obviously on that occasion the victories were slightly closer together.

In fact, I can think of only one away test match victory between 1999 and Hobart - when Bond knocked over a miserable Windies side in 2002. If this is accurate (cbf checking) then that is a remarkable failing of what was (until 2007 at least) still a pretty strong side.

I guess it says a lot about how much the team has changed in the past 10 years. Fleming had an usually solid batting lineup (with competent batsmen from 1-10) for much of his reign. However, after the injuries to Nash, Vettori and Cairns in 1999/2000 the side's bowling attack was a little pedestrian. Even when Bond came into the team, we only really looked likely to consistently grab 20 wickets with the advantage of home conditions. But the batting was so solid that we still performed credibly, with drawn series in Australia, SL and India from 2001-2003.

It's too early to say for sure, but it's beginning to appear that we now have the opposite problem. Our batting is so weak, that we're unlikely to score enough runs to be competitive with any consistency. As a result, even at home, we'll lose most test series that we play (especially when they're 3 matches long) - and by bad scorelines too. But with New Zealand now apparently only able to secure 2-test match tours, our bowlers will give us a chance to pinch the odd match, and thereby draw test series with what are (on paper at least) much stronger sides.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
We've now won two tests away from home in less than 12 months. I can't remember for sure when was the last time that we managed this (not counting zim and bangladesh), but I can't think of any occasion more recently than when we beat England 2-1 in 1999 (obviously on that occasion the victories were slightly closer together.

In fact, I can think of only one away test match victory between 1999 and Hobart - when Bond knocked over a miserable Windies side in 2002. If this is accurate (cbf checking) then that is a remarkable failing of what was (until 2007 at least) still a pretty strong side.

I guess it says a lot about how much the team has changed in the past 10 years. Fleming had an usually solid batting lineup (with competent batsmen from 1-10) for much of his reign. However, after the injuries to Nash, Vettori and Cairns in 1999/2000 the side's bowling attack was a little pedestrian. Even when Bond came into the team, we only really looked likely to consistently grab 20 wickets with the advantage of home conditions. But the batting was so solid that we still performed credibly, with drawn series in Australia, SL and India from 2001-2003.

It's too early to say for sure, but it's beginning to appear that we now have the opposite problem. Our batting is so weak, that we're unlikely to score enough runs to be competitive with any consistency. As a result, even at home, we'll lose most test series that we play (especially when they're 3 matches long) - and by bad scorelines too. But with New Zealand now apparently only able to secure 2-test match tours, our bowlers will give us a chance to pinch the odd match, and thereby draw test series with what are (on paper at least) much stronger sides.
Excellent post by Sir Sunshine and Rainbows

Flem274*

123/5
I found some doom and gloom guys. Eeyore mentioning Fleming's side reminded me of something. This era is surely the weakest Canterbury has been in its entire history. The home of Paddles produced Fleming, Cairns, Bond, Astle, McMillan, Martin and Harris who all were a big part of NZ international sides in our last good era. Now their openers are imports, their best batsman is an Australian import and their two best quicks by quite some distance are currently injured. Since Bond their recent contributions to the top side have been Papps, Fulton, Ellis, Latham and Tastle.

Wellington are making steps in the right direction by importing kiwis who can't get a go for their home sides, along with playing young guys like Pollard and Boam, but for their population and their centralisation they aren't pulling their weight.

You look at the team and upcoming players now and it's all products of Central and Northern Districts. McCullum, Jeets and Guptill are the only exceptions currently in the test eleven consistently. Ryder plays for Wellington now but he was produced in Gods own district. A combined ND/CD eleven would wipe the floor with an eleven made from the other four combined.

edit: hang on did I just say Canterbury being **** was a bad thing? Someone infract me asap.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
@Flem it is time for your annual analysis where you compare the blackcaps batsman's averages against their FC averages to see if they are over or under performing in Tests...can you do it again?

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
So top order for SAF:
Avg
McCullum 37
Guptill 25
Williamson 32
Brownlie 31
Flynn 30
Franklin 25

Quality.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fabulous.

Although our most recent Test is one of the best performances I've from NZ in a long time, I've never felt doomier and gloomier.

Meridio

International Regular
Same. Genuinely am wondering why I bother now. Have put up with so many bad performances over the years, yet I've always supported us, and have been pissed off at fair weather fans that have given up after a few bad games. Now though, am just feeling hollow.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah so we're completely and utterly ****ed

Tune in again in 2017 to see if we're just starting to get over this....

jcas0167

International Debutant
Yeah so we're completely and utterly ****ed

Tune in again in 2017 to see if we're just starting to get over this....
New to this thread, but have to say I am very optimistic. The pace attack seems the strongest it's been since Cairns, Nash, Doull & Allott were around. Potentially it's better.

In terms of spin I think Sodhi looks very promising.

Top order: I thought Guptill was making good progress after his county stint but seems to have regressed again. I'm hopeful Jeet Raval will find some form with CD. Rutherford seems to have found his feet at FC level. Williamson should become world class.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
New to this thread, but have to say I am very optimistic. The pace attack seems the strongest it's been since Cairns, Nash, Doull & Allott were around. Potentially it's better.

In terms of spin I think Sodhi looks very promising.

Top order: I thought Guptill was making good progress after his county stint but seems to have regressed again. I'm hopeful Jeet Raval will find some form with CD. Rutherford seems to have found his feet at FC level. Williamson should become world class.
You're doing it wrong.