• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Unlucky Australia Cricketers during the golden era under Taylor/Waugh

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, Moody a good shout. Was shoehorned into opening the batting against SL after they dropped Taylor, got a couple of shocking decisions and one Test on a really green deck in SL, therefore not good enough to be considered for the team again apparently.

Spikey

it's kinda annoying to think that (Super) Dom Thornely smashed 1000 runs in a season but no-one really thought much about it, and now players who hit half of that are bright new hopes or w/ever

What I'm saying is, Super Dom should make a shield come back

Debris

International 12th Man
Always came across as both a bit of a div and massively up himself in interviews.

Didn't Katich score something like 4000 test runs? Pretty decent career, IMHO.

If one includes him there's also a case for Hussey sr. Has had a good run at tests now, but was 31 (IIRC) before he debuted.
I almost included Michael Hussey in there as well. His career was affected as well but at what point is the cutoff. You could even argue cricketers like Mark Waugh and Matthew Hayden broke into the team later than normal because the side was so strong.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I wonder if Bichel would actually walk into the Test team now. I rate Siddle (obvs) and Hilf above him so unless you like his extra batting I doubt he would actually walk into this team.

I also question Matt Elliott being unlucky. He played over 20 Tests and got dropped deservedly, obviously the injury he sustained in the collision with Waugh didn't help but someone like Jamie Cox is seen as more unlucky by most.

morgieb

I almost included Michael Hussey in there as well. His career was affected as well but at what point is the cutoff. You could even argue cricketers like Mark Waugh and Matthew Hayden broke into the team later than normal because the side was so strong.
Mark Waugh didn't make his debut until 1990/91, and Australia didn't start to come good until the 89 Ashes. I dunno if he broke into the side later than normal, regardless of how good his FC stats were.

Last edited:

morgieb

At my CC we have 2 sets of 5 brothers and 1 set of 3 brothers.

There is a trophy each season for the most underachieving brother of those 13 guys. "The Dean Waugh Award". It's pretty prestigious.
Now that's classic :laugh:

Debris

International 12th Man
Mark Waugh didn't make his debut until 1990/91, and Australia didn't start to come good until the 89 Ashes. I dunno if he broke into the side later than normal, regardless of how good his FC stats were.
Mark Waugh is at the other extreme where his career was only affected a little bit. I do seem to remember thinking when they picked him that it was a couple of years overdue.

Spikey

as opposed to steve waugh, who was sorta kept in the test team during the time between his debut and Mark's debut on his OD form.