• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gavaskar urges Australia to take lead in improving cricket

Eclipse

International Debutant
Gavaskar urges Australia to take lead in improving cricket
By Lyall Johnson
December 2, 2003

Indian cricketing legend Sunil Gavaskar, the game's greatest Test century-scorer, has suggested Australia should lead the way in seeking changes to the rules of cricket to make the game more interesting for spectators and fairer for batsmen.

Speaking at the Melbourne Press Club lunch yesterday, Gavaskar said Australia had always been at the forefront of innovations to the game, such as coloured outfits and fielding restrictions during limited-overs matches, and he listed further innovations he believes would be beneficial to the game.

Gavaskar said cricket must evolve into a more interesting and exciting game in order to ensure its survival internationally as it comes under more pressure from other sports.

"The cricketing world looks to Australia to lead the way in giving world cricket innovations that make the game more attractive," Gavaskar said.

"There is plenty of competition for cricket - not so much in India, perhaps, but in the rest of the world - from other sports and therefore it is most important that the game becomes more attractive and that we have more and more younger players coming in to play the game.

"If left to me, I would look at a few changes in world cricket, starting with wides for example. I think wides on the off side should pretty much be the same as the wides that are called in limited-overs cricket.

"It is very important because you tend to overlook the fact that if wides down the leg side can be a negative practice, then wides on the off side also can be negative and can be pretty boring for the spectators."

Gavaskar, who scored 34 Test centuries at an average of 51.12, also called for a revision of the front-foot no-ball rule. He believes the umpire is not in the best position to make a judgement on where the front foot has landed and that the batsman does not have enough time to adjust his shot to take advantage of the call.

But Gavaskar's most radical suggestion was to allow captains to choose when they employ fielding restrictions, thus making the one-day game more tactical.

At present, only two players are allowed out of the circle during the first 15 overs. Gavaskar's idea is that the fielding captains would be able to back their bowlers and nominate when the restrictions apply.

Some, in the hope their bowlers got wickets early, might opt for restrictions to come into force late in the game - a tactic that could backfire if wickets don't fall early.

Gavaskar also praised Steve Waugh, saying the Australian Test skipper had made a "very tough decision" but would leave the game in style because he had chosen his own time to go.

"I'd like to wish Steve, who has been a tremendous player for Australia, happiness in his retirement and I hope that he can continue on the great work he has been doing," Gavaskar said. "He has been doing some wonderful charity work in India."

What do you guys think about some of his suggestions??

I am interested in the feilding restriction rule but I am not sure how it would work.

hourn

U19 Cricketer
Eclipse said:
make the game more interesting for spectators and fairer for batsmen.
I'm sorry how is the game unfair on batsmen??

- front foot no ball rule
- field restrictions (in one dayers)
- bouncer rules
- covered pitches
- helmets
- protective gear like your going into war

I'd say that batsmen don't need the game any more "fairer" on them ;)

as for the rest of the article, i only skimmed through, the idea about fielding restrictions seemed rather complicated, but interesting at the same time.

Off-side wides being the same in tests as one-dayers would be another death in the bowlers coffin...

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
The front foot no ball rule needs to be changed so that the call gets to the batsman earlier. Richie Benaud has been talking about this issue for years but I can't remember the exact details.

The wides should be left alone.

The fielding restrictions bit looks too complicated. The restrictions employed during ING games should be brought in. 2 outside the circle up to 15 overs, 3 for overs 16-30 and then 5 for the rest of the innings.

The game is going along nicely. What is really needed is another good side to challenge Australia. That would get more interest back.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
For me, no-balls should be simple as:
Detected by a Cyclops-like device scanning the crease with exact exactness, detecting every no-ball (some Cameramen have estimated 20-30 no-balls missed per day).
Umpire has a device in his pocket that vibrates when a no-ball is bowled.
Upon a no-ball, the Umpire signals dead-ball; the ball that is just delivered does not count, regardless of what has happened.
The next ball is a free-hit, which the batsman knows about beforehand. Nothing can be done about changing the field as a fielder being a millimetre from where he was the previous ball is a field-change. You can't differentiate between "positions", they're just part of jargon. There is no definition as to where one ends and the next begins and until there is you can't have any fair rules regarding "field changes".
The "free-hit" ball does not count towards the tally of the over (eg if a no-ball is bowled third ball, the ball after the "free-hit" is the third legit. delivery).
The next ball is the next ball and all is back to normal. In National League or ING Cup that ball would also be a free-hit, but it would count towards the tally of deliveries.
One run (or two depending on the competition) is added to the extras before the free-hit delivery.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Richard said:
For me, no-balls should be simple as:
Detected by a Cyclops-like device scanning the crease with exact exactness, detecting every no-ball (some Cameramen have estimated 20-30 no-balls missed per day).
Umpire has a device in his pocket that vibrates when a no-ball is bowled.
thats actualy not a bad idea.