• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Under 19 World Cup 2012

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
nah **** that he is right. Putting guys early in situations above their comfort level accelerates their growth
Except when it doesn't. Tim Southee, for instance, is realistically no better now than he was when he was 19 (for much of the last 12 months he's been worse).

uvelocity

International Coach
yeah but he sucks

seriously maybe it doesn't always. But the best of the best in so many fields are operating at the top level very young.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Haha haven't read this one (don't intend to, either).

Chand should be nowhere near to Internationals in the near future, Harmeet is a good find but there's time of a few years before he plays Internationals (if he does). I think the pace bowler (Sandeep Sharma?) should be closer to India A team than these 2 guys (mainly due to the lack of quality pace bowlers).

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Haha haven't read this one (don't intend to, either).

Chand should be nowhere near to Internationals in the near future, Harmeet is a good find but there's time of a few years before he plays Internationals (if he does). I think the pace bowler (Sandeep Sharma?) should be closer to India A team than these 2 guys (mainly due to the lack of quality pace bowlers).
I don't think there'd really be anything wrong with putting any of them in the 'A' team. While I've always been very vocal about picking Test and ODI teams in the present rather than the future, you don't select A teams to win, you select them to give players you rate more opportunities to impress and more experience in different conditions against tougher opposition. There should definitely be a few spots reserved in A sides for players to grab on proper domestic performance alone but it doesn't have to be all eleven.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
The key is fast tracking them into FC cricket, which India have already done with those two players. Then 'A' team, then full internationals, if they preform at the FC and A Level.

Another example of player that was fast tracked and it failed was Kapugedera. There still many people in Sri Lanka believe if he was given one season playing domestic cricket before been throw into A side and then National Side, he would be a lot better player now and be able to play big innings and know how to dominate attacks.

When players skip U19s and FC cricket go straight into the A Team and National squads. They don't learn how to build innings with bat or bowl. All they learn is how to look good in the nets or practice matches. They don't end of making the sides on the weight of runs or wickets in competitive match situations.

There are a few special cases where it has worked. But there is plenty more where they failed. Just looks half the Bangladesh debutants from 2000s onwards.

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think there'd really be anything wrong with putting any of them in the 'A' team. While I've always been very vocal about picking Test and ODI teams in the present rather than the future, you don't select A teams to win, you select them to give players you rate more opportunities to impress and more experience in different conditions against tougher opposition. There should definitely be a few spots reserved in A sides for players to grab on proper domestic performance alone but it doesn't have to be all eleven.
I made my post with this exact thing in mind. (For example, I don't think Rahul Dravid or VVS Laxman should play in the A team :p ) There are definitely players more deserving and more in need of those opportunities than Chand or Harmeet. Grooming a pace bowler like Sandeep Sharma in the A team will be more helpful than Chand or even Harmeet.

You don't play people in the A team when you want to include them in the International team 5 years down the line - you generally want those players to play who have a realistic chance of making it in 1-2 years.

Last edited:

uvelocity

International Coach
can't believe anyone from the country which gave us tendulkar would argue against getting guys into tests asap

uvelocity

International Coach
Key point is Tendulkar did play a season of FC cricket before playing Tests.
I'm sure he was a ****load better than those two as well. yeah agree with an idea of progressing through the ranks too, but if someone is doing well at a level get them up quickly.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
can't believe anyone from the country which gave us tendulkar would argue against getting guys into tests asap
Haha lol.

Given India's present scenario, I'm all for getting promising pace bowlers into test sides asap because
1. Our pace bowling attack isn't world-class.
2. Pace bowlers don't play till the late 30s generally. They pick earlier than batsmen and spinners.

However, I am strongly against getting very young raw batting and spin talents into test cricket asap because for them neither of the 2 pointsare valid. We have plenty of big batting talents (Rahane, Tiwary, Badrinath etc etc) in the mid-late 20s/early 30s who have consistently ricked in FC and can serve us better for quite a few years. Similarly in spin department, we have people like Harbhajan Singh and Murali Karthik sitting out, among other FC champs.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
The key is fast tracking them into FC cricket, which India have already done with those two players. Then 'A' team, then full internationals, if they preform at the FC and A Level.
This, plus the plan should be different for batsmen, spinners and pace bowlers. At present, I'd recommend at least 2-3 years of FC for batsmen, 3-4 years for spinners before they come make their test debut for India, irrespective of how well they perform (unless they average 99.94 with the bat or 9.94 with the ball :p )...But I don't mind a promising young pace bowler playing test cricket after one full season of FC.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Your probably better playing a spinner or batsmen straight from U19s into the National team the a fast bowler. Fast bowlers bodies don't develop fully until they are in the mid 20s. If you played them straight from U19s or early 20s, they will breakdown every 2nd tour. Just have a look at the Australian fast bowlers, Cummins, Pattinson and Starc.

Then again they probably only has 2-3 seasons of injury free cricket in their mid to late 20s. Then they are injury prone again, unless they are happy to bowl at 120km/h and become medium pacers. So you may as well play them whenever they are fit and bowling fast.