• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket In America

Arachnodouche

International Captain
It will always be patronized by sub continental expatriates, so it's very hard to be excited about it...more of the same old. The American psyche will never lend itself to something as arcane, old-world, and "un-american" (whatever be the history of the game in the country) as cricket.

On the other hand, I'd read somewhere that China was investing some time in the game. That would be a much more interesting development to follow.

BeeGee

International Captain
It will always be patronized by sub continental expatriates, so it's very hard to be excited about it...more of the same old. The American psyche will never lend itself to something as arcane, old-world, and "un-american" (whatever be the history of the game in the country) as cricket.

On the other hand, I'd read somewhere that China was investing some time in the game. That would be a much more interesting development to follow.
AWTA.

Cricket in the USA is like Baseball in India.

jan

State Vice-Captain
Cricket is always expat business outside the group of traditional cricket playing countries, right? At least in continental Europe it is.
But I cant think of better country to develop cricket than US - there are thousands of expats, lots of money and some parts of the country have really cricket-friendly climate.

True about China. They have invested horrible amount of money into cricket in the past 4 years. Check the ground in Guangzhou. Remember when they started to take over olympic sports and hoarding gold medals?

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
The USACA has been worthless, on top of having a corrupt past. That's where the problem begins. There are several cricket leagues throughout the country, many competing against each other for grounds. Put someone competent in charge of USACA, and something might actually happen.

Fusion

Global Moderator
The USACA has been worthless, on top of having a corrupt past. That's where the problem begins. There are several cricket leagues throughout the country, many competing against each other for grounds. Put someone competent in charge of USACA, and something might actually happen.
But all those cricket leagues are still dominated by expats, and in particular subcontinental expats. Until the sport can reach a broader "American" audience, any governing council is going to have a tough time being successful. Just my opinion, but I don't think Cricket will ever succeed here. It's too foreign and too long for the average American sports fan.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
The key will be the extent to which the second and third generations of the migrants to America continue to play cricket. I'd hazard a guess that most will be consumed more by the local sports, and it will continue to be a niche sport, no matter the size of the American-subcontinental population.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
The key will be the extent to which the second and third generations of the migrants to America continue to play cricket. I'd hazard a guess that most will be consumed more by the local sports, and it will continue to be a niche sport, no matter the size of the American-subcontinental population.
Dunno, think you're maybe underestimating the tribal pull of some sports.

The Socceroos seem to have been built on the second and third generation Italian/Greek/Yugoslav communities for a good coupla decades now.

Judging by some of the AFL/NRL surnames a fair few have "gone native" with their sport choices, but I'd guess there's still a big over-representation per capita wise in the association footballing ranks.

Fusion

Global Moderator
I agree. As NP mentioned, there are many cricket leagues around the country. Those leagues, while well organized and full of passionate players and fans, consists of more than 90% 1st generation participants and do not have a broad following. When I look at the 2nd or 3rd generation kids around me, I see them barely interested in cricket at all. I think the most popular sport for the sub-continental kids is basketball. There are subcontinental basketball leagues that are as popular and full of talent as some of the lower division college leagues. The basic reality is that kids adapt the sports culture they grow up with (in school, and via friends) and sadly cricket is not part of that life.