• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

T20 Cricket in Future Olympics?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I'm in the group that believes that the sports in the Olympics should be those that treat the Games as the pinnacle of their sport. Therefore, as much as I'd like to see cricket on the global stage, I don't think it should be in the Olympics.

Garson007

State Vice-Captain
I'm in the group that believes that the sports in the Olympics should be those that treat the Games as the pinnacle of their sport. Therefore, as much as I'd like to see cricket on the global stage, I don't think it should be in the Olympics.
I agree. It's not made for big sports. However if it becomes the de facto T20 World Cup, then I see no problem.

I have a problem with Tennis and Golf that treats it like a minor tournament.

cpr

International Coach
TBF to Tennis and Golf, individual sports tend to take the Olympics seriously. Murray would give anything to join Nadal, Federer, Agassi, Kafelnikov, Becker and Edberg who can claim singles/doubles golds. I'd presume the Golf players will feel the same.

Team sports dont quite feel the same to me in tearms of individual determination.

Cricket, yes for Commonwealth, probably not for Olympics. Only a handful of nations can play at a decent level - Unless it takes the Football line of u23 comp, or like boxing amateurs only.

Mind you, if Basketball can be in despite it being a one nation sport....

Garson007

State Vice-Captain
TBF to Tennis and Golf, individual sports tend to take the Olympics seriously. Murray would give anything to join Nadal, Federer, Agassi, Kafelnikov, Becker and Edberg who can claim singles/doubles golds. I'd presume the Golf players will feel the same.
Murray would still rather join Goran Ivanišević in winning Wimbledon.

cpr

International Coach
True, but he can't do that at this moment in time, so he'll focus on winning the Olympics.

Just because its not Wimbledon, doesn't mean he, or any of the others, are treating it like a minor tournament. If it was a minor tourney, they probably wouldn't compete, given how much they complain about the schedule being overcrowded/too many comps etc... One look at the roll call shows the big names come to the Olympics to win.

watson

Banned
Anything that raises the profile of cricket is good IMO. Especially if the comp. is won by a country that needs a 'booster' like the West Indies.

Also, if stuff like javelin catching and womens face-painting can make it to the Olympics with a global following of about 12 people then I see no reason why a sport followed by 100s of millions of people shouldn't be included on principle.

swede

School Boy/Girl Captain
sure... but did you see those flying pigs?
There is zero chance that the olympics would abandon sports like basketball, tennis or even its seriously second-rate football tournament.

Its only a question of time before they will want cricket included. Cricket is far too big and rich to keep out and with T20 things have really changed. Especially in many smaller countries. The year England launched T20 at the highest level there were 14 teams playing in singapore, now there are more than 100. T20 have seriously changed things. I think established cricket countries tend to forget just how absurd the idea of an 8- hour ball game sounds to others. Now that huge problem is out of the way

also, olympic recognition matters quite a lot in many places when it comes to funding.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I'd argue that international Basketball's biggest prize is the Olympics rather than World Champs or anything else.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
if T20 was to go in, I'd favour age restrictions like football

also i'd make it indoor cricket

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Anything that raises the profile of cricket is good IMO. Especially if the comp. is won by a country that needs a 'booster' like the West Indies.
Couldn't be them, as the Windies' constituent countries compete separately in the Olympics. We'd probably see teams from all the bigger nations in the (Anglophone) caribbean: Jamaica, Trinidad & Tobago, Barbados and Guyana, at least.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Should do it as a single- or double-wicket tournament IMO.

Would rule Kohli out, ideally.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Kohli's immense talent is not just limited to cricket, so going to need to eliminate swimming from the event to keep him out of the Olympics:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, can totally see it happening, with a similar structure to the hockey tournament at the current games. Actually could be quite a fun tournament, as with the carribean islands competing independently, there would be a smoother distribution of quality, as opposed to the current grand canyon sized drop-off from the big 8 to the rest.