• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Draft League Round 1 Voting Thread

Please select the three best sides in your opinion

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I voted for AndyZaltz, Eds and Himmanv.

Very tough to leave Jager and Watson out.

Well done!

watson

Banned
Andy, I knew that you would eventually go for Lindwall and Lillee to open the bowling! Fred will just have to be told by Lloyd to settle down and take it on the chin.

The victorian colossal opening batsman Bill Ponsford to open with one of Australia's left handed gem Arthur Morris. Both have plenty of hunger for big runs and they used to score them big more often than not. Double centuries, triple centuries and quadraple centuries dripped off of Ponsford's broad bat and he didn't care anything in the world except doggedly keeping the ball along the ground.,,,
Absolutely no hyperbole there what-so-ever :thumbsup:

Love it!

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
watson- Rohan Kanhai and Greg Chappell partnership would be great sight; if they get going, it'll be very difficult for bowlers to contain. Adding that it was perfect pick by you to play them together

p.s. Ponsford's description was a bit over the top :ph34r:

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Andy's pace attack did it for me. Lindwall, Lillee and Trueman are absolutely potent.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Had to vote for Watson, Kingkallis and Eds as the best balanced teams that had everything I look for. Andy and Jager just missed out. One of Andy first three picks could have been used for a premeir batsman.

Props though to Blakus's top four and Andy's bowling, just amazing.

Last edited:

watson

Banned
Had to vote for Watson, Kingkallis and Eds as the best balanced teams that had everything I look for. Andy and Jager just missed out. One of Andy first three picks could have been used for a premeir batsman.

Props though to Blakus's top four and Andy's bowling, just amazing.
Kanhai is an absolute legend in the Caribbean so I think you're a bit biased Kyear.

Last edited:

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
One of two sides without a vote :laugh:

But good luck getting through the top 5 and then the 6-8 is a little bit special.

Jager

International Debutant
Eds looks a certainty to pick up 10 points here. The points slots of 6, 4 and 3 could still go any way between kingkallis, kyear2 and myself. Cabinet96 has managed to drag himself clear of the relegation zone with a vote, so Marcuss and Cevno are certainly in dangerous territory at the moment. The next two or three voters will definitely have a big say in deciding the rankings from 2-6.

Valer

First Class Debutant
Intresting voting patterns

The following players all ended up with 31-32 points in order

(Everyone else was between 24 and 30)

Cevno
KingKallis
Marcuss
------- Sadly only 3 votes.
Blakus
Cabinet96

Intrestingly all but 2 teams the 12th man would be in the 11 if I was doing the drafting.

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Daylight for me between Eds and Jager and the rest - in fact I can't split the rest, so will just vote for the two

kingkallis

International Coach
This was a good draft. Looked similar to all other drafts but ended with plenty of balanced teams...

I will vote before I leave.

kingkallis

International Coach
CricZo XI

Graham Gooch / ( 118 | 8900 runs @ 42.58 | 20 / 46; 103 )
Matthew Hayden / ( 103 | 8625 runs @ 50.41 | 30 / 29; 128 )
Rahul Dravid / ( 164 | 13288 runs @ 52.31 | 36 / 63; 210 )
Wally Hammond / o ( 85 | 7249 runs @ 58.45 | 22 / 24; 110; 83 wickets @ 37.80 )
Kevin Pietersen / ( 87 | 6915 runs @ 49.04 | 20 / 27; 53 )
Garry Sobers / o ( 93 | 8032 runs @ 57.78 | 26 / 30; 109; 235 wickets @ 34.03 )
Rod Marsh + ( 96 | 3633 runs @ 26.51 | 3 / 16; 343 + 12 = 355 dismissals )
Richie Benaud ( c ) o / ( 63 | 2201 runs @ 24.45 | 3 / 9; 248 wickets @ 27.03 | 1 / 16; 65 )
Dale Steyn o ( 55 | 279 @ 23.16 | 4 / 18; 14 )
Wes Hall o ( 48 | 192 @ 26.38 | 1 / 9; 11 )
Neil Adcock o ( 26 | 104 @ 21.10 | 0 / 5; 4 )

12th man : George Lohmann o ( 18 | 112 wickets @ 10.75 | 5 / 9; 28 )

Team Statistics

Total Tests : 938
Total Runs ( Top 8 ) : 60,470
Batting Average ( Top 6 - avg or avgs ) : 51.76
100s & 50s : 160 & 244
Total Catches : 1150 + 12 stumpings
Total Wickets : 1141
Bowling Average ( All 5 ) : 24.41
10s & 5s : 6 & 59

ATG XI Positions

World XI : Gary Sobers
Team 2 : Wally Hammond
Team 5 : Matthew Hayden & Rahul Dravid
Team 6 : Graham Gooch, Richie Benaud & Dale Steyn
Team 8 : Kevin Pietersen
Team 9 : Wes Hall
Team 11 : Neil Adcock & George Lohmann
Team 13 : Rod Marsh

NOTE : 7 out of my playing XI are in TOP 6 ALL -time Teams and the playing XI features in TOP 11 ALL-time Teams

Team Composition

And now thats the fearsome fast bowling unit...

Last edited:

watson

Banned
Excellent write-up KK. I've always liked that photo of Sobers and his square drive/cut.

Last edited:

watson

Banned
(Just before I head off to work - so the post is a bit brief)

Below are some write-ups that I use when deciding who has the strongest ATG Team. Some people may also find them useful.

I look at where (how far up or down) each batsman, bowler, all-rounder or keeper is on the various lists. When the player is not listed I do my own home-work and check out their stat's to see whether the author has made a possible mistake or not.

There are also other considerations like team balance. A long tail is frowned upon unless it is propped up by good allrounders and a wicket-keeper that can bat. Four front-line bowlers and fifth part-time bowler is a mandatory minimum. Extra points are given if the fifth bowler is strong without compromising the batting too much.

Batsman should not bat out of positon, but in their natural position. I look at where in the order the batsman spent most of his career. Although class batsman should have little trouble batting lower than normal.

The variety of bowlers is important. I like the bowlers to be of different styles (even within their own category), and will always look for a left-armer in the side.

Extra points go to good fielding sides and great captains. However, an ATG team cannot afford to carry a great captain. He must be an ATG batsman or bowler in his own right.

I try not to let my perception of the drafter get in the way of my decisions. It is only fair that I judge the team in question, not the personality of the person making the team.

Test Batsman: a look across 132 years
It Figures | Cricket Blogs | ESPN Cricinfo

Test Batsman Analysis: a follow up

A Ranking System for Test Openers

An in-depth analysis of Test Bowlers

Test Bowlers Analysis: a follow-up

Test All-Rounders: an alternative BCG view

The World's Best All-Rounder

The Best Test All-Rounders: a follow-up

Test Wicket Keepers: an analysis

Last edited:

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Great read as usual Watson. Feel especially honoured now that you voted for my team.