• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

When and Who will break the world record????

Tres21

Cricket Spectator
Hi :D New member so be kind :p Huge Somerset and Trescothick fan so looking forward to finals day!!

Just wondered when you think the batting world record will be broken and by who (400* Lara)

Personally I think it will be broken quite soon and probably on the subcontinent or when bangladesh visit South Africa/England.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Never, literally if any batsman even gets to 400, then they want shooting for not playing for their team because in all likelihood they won't be scoring fast enough to define the match or will take too much time out of the game doing so.

Ponting was quite right when he referred to Lara's 400 as selfish.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Lara's 375 was a much better innings.

If someone breaks the 400 it will be in a dead game against a bowling attack offering nothing, so I probably won't care much.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
There's a difference between making runs for the team and making runs for records, the 400 was the latter.

Eds

International Debutant
3-0 down in a four match series, and he's standing little to no chance of ever really getting out. And it's not as if he was plodding along either - SR of 70 for the 400*. When you're on the verge of a whitewash, to come out with the incredible publicity West Indies cricket got from his achievement, I don't think anyone involved would really be complaining.

AlanJLegend

U19 Vice-Captain
I agree that going on to make ridiculously large individual scores is somewhat selfish, but I certainly think that if a team is batting first (or second after bowling the other team out within the first day) and you can rack up 400+ within two days then it's fair game.

As to who will do it, it's impossible to say. Somebody like Sehwag or Gayle even Warner could do it on a flat track against a weaker side. Somebody like Clarke or Cook could rack it up too.

I'm sure that within the next few decades it will be beaten though.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Hi :D New member so be kind :p Huge Somerset and Trescothick fan so looking forward to finals day!!

Just wondered when you think the batting world record will be broken and by who (400* Lara)

Personally I think it will be broken quite soon and probably on the subcontinent or when bangladesh visit South Africa/England.
It was bull**** when Hayden scored 380 odd against Zimbos. What was he trying to prove. Likewise if someone smashes 402 against Bangers I will be suitably unimpressed.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Lara's 400 deserves to be ahead of Hayden's 385, so at least justice was served there.

Wasn't there a mooted timeless Test for a Test Championship final?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
A team batting first, and a player batting in the top 4-5, could definitely score a 400 and not kill the game.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Never, literally if any batsman even gets to 400, then they want shooting for not playing for their team because in all likelihood they won't be scoring fast enough to define the match or will take too much time out of the game doing so.
if Clarke had pushed onto 400 I don't think anyone would have been calling him selfish. He really could have batted on

Lara's 400 will be broken at some point. It might just be 402*, but it'll go

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
A team batting first, and a player batting in the top 4-5, could definitely score a 400 and not kill the game.
Or batting second if you've skittled the oppo. Time is even less of an issue then in some ways.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
The biggest rammifications will be felt if Tendulkar is the man to break the record. Endless comparisons to Bradman etc.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Or batting second if you've skittled the oppo. Time is even less of an issue then in some ways.
Or Sehwag could do it anyways. Don't think it would have been a issue if he had converted 3 of his 250 + into a 400..

Tres21

Cricket Spectator
Interesting views guys :p

I see where you're coming from saying that if you make 400 then you are playing for yourself and not the team, e.g. If Amla had batted on against England he could have easily made 400 in my opinion, but SA wouldn't have had the time to bowl England out and so wouldn't have won :D

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Or Sehwag could do it anyways. Don't think it would have been a issue if he had converted 3 of his 250 + into a 400..
Yeah, a couple of years back I'd have said Sehwag was the man most likely to. Opens, scores quickly and goes big when he's in.

Does seem to have jumped the shark slightly of late tho.

Maybe Gayle? Similar MO to Sehwag and also has two triples already

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Wasn't there a mooted timeless Test for a Test Championship final?
There might have been, but you'd think that in all likelihood the quality of attack would mean a huge score would be impossible (he says in light of Amla at The Oval)

stumpski

International Captain
What about a batsman playing for a team following on, or batting again with a huge first-innings deficit? Two days to go, no chance of setting a feasible target, I'm thinking of something like the Hanif 300 against West Indies. Although that was a 6-day match IIRC, he batted something like 16 hours so at modern scoring rates could easily have done it.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Once Kallis retires, perhaps ABdV will move up to 4 and could be in with a shot. He definitely scores quickly enough.