• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Big Bash League 2012/13

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah it is obvious, Homebush is like a 45 hour drive west from the SCG and in the heart land of Western Sydney, although I agree maybe it would have allowed the common man who didn't know where they played the games to identify them. But people living in Sydney would definitely know as soon as they found out where they play the games.
Would you say people support the teams more because of the location or because of who is playing?

I'd imagine that whichever Melbourne team has Shane Warne playing for it would probably have more fans, regardless of location.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
And I think a reason why they didn't name it Western Sydney is the same reason why you would call it Western Sydney... it would alienate the people who didn't live in Western Sydney but still liked the team. And same with the Sixers, if you call them the Eastern Sydney Sixers it alienates the Westies. It would have been ideal from a forming a rivalry aspect, but not necessarily an attracting supporter aspect.

benchmark00

Would you say people support the teams more because of the location or because of who is playing?

I'd imagine that whichever Melbourne team has Shane Warne playing for it would probably have more fans, regardless of location.
Before any of the players were announced I said I would support the Sixers because they played at the SCG. I know I'm not unique in this, although I know there would be some who would do it just because of the players. So a bit of both.

benchmark00

Your point is spot on about the Victorian teams though (no surprise that they're pieces of ****). They are located right next to each other so there really is no way to form a rivalry like Sydney can. What a disgraceful organisation Cricket Victoria is.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Your point is spot on about the Victorian teams though (no surprise that they're pieces of ****). They are located right next to each other so there really is no way to form a rivalry like Sydney can. What a disgraceful organisation Cricket Victoria is.
I dunno how else you'd brand them, though. Slightly South Melbourne Renegades?

Anything but the Stars, I guess.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Not sure why Benchy lies all the time. About where he lives, about who he supports etc.

Spikey

and yeah the main problem in forming a rivalry for the Sydney teams is that everyone knows the Thunder suck. Sorta like Aus-NZ cricket back in the 30's, 40's. 50's etc

Spikey

Spikey legitimately said he supported the Thunder. That has been lost in all of this.
I support both teams. It's not like they're competing against each other. thunder fkg suck. sixers rock. i just wanna see the kids do well. and buck rogers