• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

John Bracewell interview

Kent

State 12th Man
Hi guys,

I just found this site after doing a search on Richard Sherlock, and was pleased to find some discussion on the NZ domestic scene.

Am I allowed to put up this address for an interview with John Bracewell? It's a download so you can use the rewind-fast forward options, and can listen offline -

http://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/audio2/28130932.wma

I'd like to see what people make of this comment - "Looking at the balance of the NZ (ODI) side, we have some real game-breakers in the lower middle-order, that are actually being used as game-savers. It's a wasted resource....the guys have got to understand and commit themselves to the position they're in, bury their ego, and commit themselves to the point that they mightn't be the ones that win the game but they're the ones that set it up."

To me it sounds like he's hellbent on that Spearman/Harvey style he had at Gloucester. McMillan or Cairns in the top 3 from now on?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Welcome Kent :)

I can only think that means he wants to focus on team spirit and whole being greater than the sum of the parts - like at Gloucestershire - though NZ are fairly strong on that at present.

He was fairly keen on getting Spearman back into the International fold, so I would expect someone like McMillan/Cairns (or McCullum?) in the top 3.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Kent said:
Hi guys,

Am I allowed to put up this address for an interview with John Bracewell? It's a download so you can use the rewind-fast forward options, and can listen offline -

Hi, Kent

By all means, post links (just as you can post links to Cricket Web elsewhere).

anzac

International Debutant
welcome aboard........

your quote from Bracewell supports my comments re his anticipated approach to his being NZ coach as being similar to that he had in English County cricket - I'm just waiting to see some evidence of it happening............

:)

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I also read an article over at stuff.co.nz where Bracewell said along the lines: "If a player gets home sick or is no good under pressure, then they're really no use to me".

I wouldn't rule out a few players in the current NZ team falling under that bracket...not everyone will be safe I think...namely someone like Lou Vincent who never seems to be able to hang around too long when the team really needs him.

Kent

State 12th Man
Thanks for the welcome, and for that link Tim. Might divert my travels this morning and check out his first spell. Pity the Basin's wicket block still appears to be a dog!

As for Vincent, it seemed to me as soon as someone gave him the simple motto 'just win every ball' (I heard him repeat this about 5 times in an interview), it was as if he suddenly knew how to be a test opener. One-day batting really puts an emphasis on your own ingenuity, and I don't know if Bracewell will be that interested in someone that seems in constant need of having their hand held.