• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Big scores in tests

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Well done Amla.

Triple centuries are rare, and this one was magnificent

311 not out off 529 balls. Remarkable.

I always feel slightly disappointed when a batsman has a massive score and a declaration is made, it'd be good to see how far they can go. It seems like when a batsman gets over 200 everything gets easier for them.

This innings has made his average jump from 46 to over 51, which incidentally goes to show (in part) why Bradman's average was so high.

Bradman had-

2 scores over 300s (plus one 299no)
10 scores over 200 (not including the two 300 plus)
6 scores over 150 (not including the above)

In all he passed 150 in tests 18 times (from 80 innings), plus ten other scores of 100 plus.

Last edited:

watson

Banned
If it wasn't for the Bodyline Series Bradman's last innings duck against Hollies wouldn't have meant a thing. His average would have already been way over a 100.

Red

Amla's score is extra noteworthy considering England's much vaunted bowling attack.

What's the pitch like?

smash84

The Tiger King
Amla's average did jump up a fair bit.......5 points is a lot of gain....wow

Amla was showing a lot of talent.....let's see if this run continues

Red

I'm fascinated by the fact that no one in an extensive career has come within 40 runs of Bradman's batting average.

Commonsense would suggest that even if Bradman has the highest avg at 99, there should be a few batsman averaging in the 60s, a few in the 70s, and few in the 80s....

But, NONE!

60 is absolutely brilliant, anything in the 50s is brilliant, high 40s is considered very very good.

It's an amazing piece of statistical weirdness, that 99.94.

watson

Banned
Amla's score is extra noteworthy considering England's much vaunted bowling attack.

What's the pitch like?
It's obvious that England are missing Tremlett, or even Finn.

Anderson, Broad, and Bresnan are all good bowlers in their own right, but none of them are a true 'spearhead'. So, once Smith, Amla or Kallis has their 'eye-in' against Anderson then they also have their 'eye-in' against the other quicks because they are all so similar. It would be like facing the same pace bowler over and over again. Rhythmn city.

Against a top notch batting side you really need someone who can attack the batsmans ribs from just short-of-a-length, or bowl a bouncer that can cut him in half. In other words, a bowler that can unsettle a batsman so James Anderson can go to work properly with his swing.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
It's obvious that England are missing Tremlett, or even Finn.

Anderson, Broad, and Bresnan are all good bowlers in their own right, but none of them are a true 'spearhead'. So, once Smith, Amla or Kallis has their 'eye-in' against Anderson then they also have their 'eye-in' against the other quicks because they are all so similar. It would be like facing the same pace bowler over and over again. Rhythmn city.

Against a top notch batting side you really need someone who can attack the batsmans ribs from just short-of-a-length, or bowl a bouncer that can cut him in half. In other words, a bowler that can unsettle a batsman so James Anderson can go to work properly with his swing.
errr what?

Are you saying that an attack of Anderson, Broad, Swann and Bresnan isn't top notch?

Spark

Global Moderator
The whole attacking-with-bounce is wildly overrated. Far better to just get the bastard out. Sure, it's good to push them back with judicious bouncers but it definitely shouldn't be any bowler's MO. Besides, if they do need a more aggressive type bowler, that's what Broad is for... if he actually bowls at full steam.

Ruckus

International Captain
Always love when a genuine fast bowler successfully pulls off that tactic though. Absolutely painful to watch if they are getting smashed everywhere and should just be bowling line and length, but when a batsman gets intimidated by short stuff and is forced to second guess, it makes for great viewing. Exactly what Morkel did to Pietersen yesterday.

Spark

Global Moderator
Oh yeah, but Morkel didn't overdo it, that's the thing, and his wicket taking ball was pitched up anyway. It can be really easy to get into bouncer-bouncer-bouncer mode and all it does is get the batsman set - see a certain innings at Cape Town last year.

Ruckus

International Captain
Yeah I agree it should rarely be used by itself, unless you're Joel Garner or something. I think as well, a lot of the time, rather than being a bad tactic, bowlers just don't actually bowl the short ball well enough. So it sort of just ends up sitting up for the batsman to smash. Gotta be really fired up for it to work well.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Morkel's wicket taking delivery wasn't actually all that special, it was more or less gunbarrel straight.

The way he'd set Pietersen up beforehand was what'd earned him his scalp.

Pietersen looked very gun-shy to me too; dereliction of his duty if I were feeling sanctmonious. & I am.

NEway, big scores. Aside from the obvious concentration and stamina they require, I think they lay down a marker for the oppo. They make a statement of what a player can do and, whilst I don't think they'll be physically quaking at the very sight of him, there will be a scintilla of concern when he next faces up.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah I agree it should rarely be used by itself, unless you're Joel Garner or something. I think as well, a lot of the time, rather than being a bad tactic, bowlers just don't actually bowl the short ball well enough. So it sort of just ends up sitting up for the batsman to smash. Gotta be really fired up for it to work well.
Yeah precisely. A slightly misdirected short ball is a pie, a slightly misdirected full pitched outswinger is still a full pitched outswinger, and even if it gets cover driven for four it's not the worst result ever.

Ruckus

International Captain
It's one of the things that's pretty exciting about Cummins actually. Looks like he has a really well directed, venomous short ball. Plus he seems to have the brains to mix it up as well. Think he set up Kallis perfectly (or it might have been someone else) like that in the SA series.

Spark

Global Moderator
Nah, his spell to Kallis was for the most part good-length outswingers with serious heat.

Ruckus

International Captain
From memory he sent down a barrage of short stuff in the previous overs and had Kallis really on his toes, and then he got him with an outswinger. But like Morkel yesterday, a lot of it was the set up that did him.

watson

Banned
errr what?

Are you saying that an attack of Anderson, Broad, Swann and Bresnan isn't top notch?
South Africa being 2 down for about Avogadro's Number would seem to indicate that.

There was obviously something lacking in the Anderson, Broad, Bresnan pace combo. Probably pace.