• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand Domestic Cricket Season 2012/2013

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just saw that! I google'd and found this O'Connor played an under-18 match last year, so I'm guessing it's a youngun. Shanes son perhaps? :unsure:
I don't think so. Sean Brendan O'Connor, born Wellington 1993.

About the right vintage, but don't think Shayne based himself in Wellington at any point.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
I think he is an off-spinner, I think. He almost played a Plunket Shield game last season,?. The first round v CD. Or was it the J O'Conner of CD who almost played that game? Can't remember

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Yep I'll say, that 0:25 ball will come up about 146 on the gun on Sunday and suddenly Rigor will be all heyyy, despite the fact it would appear Small's economy secret at the moment relies in a good part to being rapid and random, without being say 10 wides random. Sort of like a small boy trying to hold a fireman's hose that's snaking and blasting all over the place.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Thanks Kippax. I had this going on repeat for a while.

Here is my detailed arm chair commentary.

His right foot lands in the danger area after his delivery stride. That may prove an issue for him. Sometimes it is fine.

Watch where Lillee lands his right foot in this clip by comparison

Dennis Lillee vs Pakistan 1976/77 - YouTube

In addition Lillee like Small approaches the bowling crease from an angle but in the last few Strides Dennis straightens his run up out.

I would also like to see a more aggressive front arm from Small.

Still a good action. And the fact he can swing it is a good sign.

Great video.

cnerd123

likes this
I don't really like his action.

It looks like he's floating the ball down, albeit at some pace, and not hitting the deck.

He twists his lower back as he releases the ball, looks prone to injury there.

Looks like a mixed action.

He runs in well, but i feel he's not using putting all that momentum into the ball and is instead generating force with his arm and back. He isn't bracing his front foot well. He lands his left foot on the side, and not straight, kinda like Morne Morkel, but the bowls and follows through in a side on style.

Compare Morne here with Bevan:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo0SvaQRBes

Lillee, Steyn, Bond all used to move their left foot in front of them, land in around the centre of the pitch, bowl over it, and follow through. Morne lands his left foot left to the left of the pitch, and follows through over it. Bevan lands his foot on the left, but follows through straight, if you get what I'm saying.

Meh, but what do I know.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I don't really like his action.

It looks like he's floating the ball down, albeit at some pace, and not hitting the deck.

He twists his lower back as he releases the ball, looks prone to injury there.

Looks like a mixed action.
I agree. I'm sure previously when I saw Small bowl he had a smooth easy outswinger type of action, similar to Doug Bracewell, however he'd clearly moved away from that (still looks like Bracewell in the run-up). This mixed action probably more difficult to generate swing with as well.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Bevan Small, early '12 vs. early '13 - YouTube

So there are no deliveries in the last week where he's running past the umpire closer than that, and he's splaying his left arm out through the action into more of a big bird position than he was.

Probably saying 'gagf, I'm doing a job for my team and whatever's least painful' right now obvs, I'll try to do another one next season after the surgery, which actually may entail cutting a portion of the rib right out.

Paceman seeks pain-free season
GEORGE HEAGNEY
Last updated 12:00 18/07/2012

A fully-fit body isn't too much to ask for fast bowler Bevan Small ahead of the upcoming summer, is it?

Currently at the New Zealand Cricket high performance centre in Lincoln as part of his national winter contract, Small has beaten one injury but is still struggling with what has been his biggest problem during the past couple of years.

He has recovered from the dislocated shoulder that prematurely ended his season in March, and he is awaiting results on scans on a rib that has troubled him over the past few seasons.

"It's just quite annoying how it's such a big pain and it seems like you should be able to do something to get rid of it; but nothing's been able to fix it so far," Small said.

The end of his 11th rib is damaged, which has repeatedly stopped him bowling at 100 per cent the past two and a half years. So it is likely he will have a portion of the rib removed.

A surgeon has looked at it but wanted a second opinion.

Small had an injection in the rib to keep him pain free. But there are still things that need to be figured out because the rib is right over his bowels and there are potential risks with surgery.

He also has to consider when to have the surgery because it will put him out of action for three months.

"I have to talk to the [Central Districts] Stags' management whether I have it done now and miss quite a big portion of the season, or bowl through the season with pain," he said.

His recurring dislocated shoulder was fixed for now - he straps it for training and has put a big emphasis on getting it rehabilitated.

He hasn't tested his injuries out fully with his bowling, but he has started working with Central Districts coach Alan Hunt to start their winter programme, which is mainly batting at the moment.

"I've had a couple of talks with him and he's reassured me the CD group are right behind me with the recovery," Small said.

Small and Adam Milne arrived in Lincoln on Monday for the New Zealand Cricket winter contract programme and will be there for nearly two weeks.

They have already had one camp that was mainly fitness and "pretty bloody tough" according to Small.

It included mountain runs, but this camp is more cricket-orientated as the season approaches.

Milne and Small are there with other up-and-coming cricketers from around the country like George Worker, the former Manawatu and Central Districts opening batsman but now with Canterbury, Hamish Bennett, Corey Anderson, and Ben Wheeler.

They have had people from New Zealand Cricket speak to them about what they expect from the young players in the future.

CD name their contract list for the season this weekend, and Small - who was awarded his first contract last year - was confident of receiving another even with all his injuries, especially with contract numbers increasing from 12 to 14.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
So, there are no 3 day games at all in the Provincial A comp? Not even a pre-Lincoln match between the neighbours?

Dumb.

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
Can any Welly/Easts cricket fans tell me more about Ben Orton? Scoring consistent runs in CC and now for the 2nds.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Andrew crucially taken out of the play in just the 11th by Small, Phlegm looking good to avoid an embarrassing twin hit to the nuts by the Wizards.

Flem274*

123/5
I wonder what the pitch is like. Both sides have two spinners and Canterbury have dropped arguably their best seamer to accommodate it.

Both teams look a batsman light on paper as well. Canterbury have 7 bowlers and two part timers.

Nethula at seven for us makes me pretty nervous. We're so top heavy. Gutted Taylor hasn't returned for us yet as well.