• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand Domestic Cricket Season 2012/2013

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
As I've said before, I have found de Grandhomme's entire career in New Zealand to be rather odd. I was a very keen follower of Zimbabwean cricket around the time of Colin's move and the perception of him as a youth cricketer was that of a genuine, classy top-4 batsman. He opened more often than not and very good things were said about his technique and application. He did very little bowling at this point although I was aware that he bowled "a little bit of medium pace" and yet when he turned up in the Auckland side at first he was there for his bowling as much as his batting. That's what I first found surprising, but even now that he's become known more as a batsman-who-bowls-sometimes, he's an Afridi-style lower middle order basher. He doesn't even bat in the top four at club level very often does he?

Do you know if he made a conscious decision to change his game at some point or was I just given bad info about what sort of player he was from the start?
I saw him from ball one in NZ and he was never a top four option - apart from club cricket, obviously. He's always been very decent technically but application as we all know is where it falls over sometimes. He came to Howick for one season in 2004-05, didn't say boo to a goose, scored not a lot of runs and took not many wickets and we all thought we'd seen the last of him. He came back, boomed a ridiculous 100 in a one-day club final and went on from there. His bowling was a conscious work-on from about 2008, and he improved quite a lot - took 20-30 wickets in a four-day season from memory - but got tendonitis in a knee and had to reel it in.

I dunno if you got bad info, he could well have been in Zimbabwe. He's definitely top four at club level, opens in limited overs and four in two-dayers when available. He's too good for that level by a long way. His bowling is also good at that level, bowls away shape and a slightly heavy ball which worked well at FC level until he was injured.

Unfortunately today was another typical Colin innings. 14 off 12, four off his first ball, almost played on with his second, then plays a horrific shot to hole out off a leggie on a green one. They picked him for NZ as they backed themselves to get the best out of him but it hasn't happened yet.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
McClenaghan looks a definite rung or three below Boult and Wagner. Wonder if he could gain a bit more pace through the crease... may be restricted by previous injuries.

Boult :wub: Just bowled a testing delivery to one of the India lefties (Menaria) who had absolutely no idea and edged to slip.
That's no surprise - Mitch hasn't bowled in a match since March. He's supremely fit and carrying no injuries but is slightly rusty, and a bit bulkier (muscle wise, there's not an ounce of fat on him) than end of last season. 3-42 is a pretty damn first hitout for him, even if it was on a green one and luck went his way a bit. I was going to say he'll get quicker as the series goes on but he's off to South Africa with the Aces come next week.

And Blain, I take it the last C in CDC stands for cricketer...!

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Ah ok, didn't see those. Did see Ellis's runout - how poor was that?!

That innings was almost Van-Wyk-like :ph34r:. If De Boorder does stack up the runs this season he could make a decent case to be next in line ahead of Watling.
I didn't see the Ellis runout, what happened? Derek did used to be a run-out merchant from what I remember...sneaky lil bastard.

Haha...that innings had more class than Kruger could ever hope to have. Great use of the crease, perfectly timed innings until he unfortunately nicked one.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I didn't see the Ellis runout, what happened? Derek did used to be a run-out merchant from what I remember...sneaky lil bastard.
Ellis pushed the ball straight to cover, de Boorder came screaming down the wicket looking for a quick single, Ellis didn't move until de Boorder was halfway down, and barely made it halfway before being run out. It's difficult to know for sure whose fault it was without sound. But it was Ellis' call to make, he was clearly hesitant and there was never really a run in it, so I'm gonna say Ellis had the right to feel aggrieved.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Ellis pushed the ball straight to cover, de Boorder came screaming down the wicket looking for a quick single, Ellis didn't move until de Boorder was halfway down, and barely made it halfway before being run out. It's difficult to know for sure whose fault it was without sound. But it was Ellis' call to make, he was clearly hesitant and there was never really a run in it, so I'm gonna say Ellis had the right to feel aggrieved.
Ha, yeah I spose it is regular runout material, though you don't tend to see quite as many of this yes/no/start/stop/run/no/stay types of runouts theeeeese days. Was just a tad amusing :happy:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
That's no surprise - Mitch hasn't bowled in a match since March. He's supremely fit and carrying no injuries but is slightly rusty, and a bit bulkier (muscle wise, there's not an ounce of fat on him) than end of last season. 3-42 is a pretty damn first hitout for him, even if it was on a green one and luck went his way a bit. I was going to say he'll get quicker as the series goes on but he's off to South Africa with the Aces come next week.
Think he did bowl a little faster later in the match (though the bowler running towards the camera can also look a little faster). Does get nice shape, no doubt about that. Boult and Wagner much more consistent today though.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Haha I didn't see but I'm going to go right ahead and presume that's Derek's fault. If it's a single in Derek's mind, it's a single.

Maybe there's a wind involved as well as to why Mitch looked quicker later on? No surprise his radar was off, he'll be a big asset if it's on come October 9 in SA.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Mmm...Ellis did half take off then stop, but holy hell Derek just put his head down and ran, never thought about looking what Ellis was doing.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Hahaha I don't think no was an option. Derek had his head down like his body had been invaded by a Jamaican sprinter and he was running the first 20 yards of the 100m final.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
It was in front of square (I think) so he'd have every right to stand his ground and let De Boorder run himself out imo. Aware that it's not always that clear in the thick of things, though.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
21/2 off 9. We chose to bat first! Think Ellis fancies another lengthy innings itbt.

Broom in for Latham, Nethula for Brownlie, McKay for Boult.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Oh absolutely he does, every right in the world.

Howsie will be pleased, two very good pick-ups for ND in the HRV Cup in Foster and Croft. Both had booming T20 summers.

No word on Wellington yet, didn't Peter Clinton say the coffers were empty and they might not look at an import, or did I make that up? They could definitely do with a batsman or two, a Hodge, a Gibbs or some such. If they sign an all-rounder like Arafat or something similar, they've lost the plot.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
No word on Wellington yet, didn't Peter Clinton say the coffers were empty and they might not look at an import, or did I make that up?
Pretty sure he said this import was integral to their three campaigns despite their financial woes. An experienced county allrounder just short of England level, not available till December is what we know.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Pretty sure he said this import was integral to their three campaigns despite their financial woes. An experienced county allrounder just short of England level, not available till December is what we know.
That's right, I remember the all-rounder stuff. Is that essential? Wellington aren't exactly short of bowling options.

Good to see Rutherford not getting a duck. Flynn won't be all that pleased with his shot, I remember seeing that somewhere in the winter tours.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Good to see Rutherford not getting a duck. Flynn won't be all that pleased with his shot, I remember seeing that somewhere in the winter tours.
Well that's one way to summarise getting out for 6! Just looking for the dismissal now.

Edit: More than an hour old so couldn't find it. Saw Flynn's though - ugh.

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
50 for Broom. Good start to this season after terrible last season. I still don't particularly like quite a few aspects of his technique though.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Hah, best scalp for McKay is quite some time, not that it moved in the air or anything like Direbirds fans would hope.

Bit of a tantrum from Ellis at about 3:41pm, could even get fined for dissent like that.

Howsie

International Captain
Hmmm, Nethula getting pumped nice and well I see. I still for the life of me can't work out how he managed to pick up a national contract.