• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand Domestic Cricket Season 2012/2013

Wright

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Do you think Ronchi would be the difference in those tests?

I think he's a good player, but I just cannot bring myself to support the inclusion of someone who has ODIs for another country. The South Africans and Brownlie already made me uneasy, but they haven't represented other teams (even if only because they aren't good enough). It's an emotional thing, and in the end, emotion drives international sport.

I will never be able to support Ronchi with a silver fern on his cap.

edit: associate players don't have the stand down period (but it works the other way: Hamish Marshall had to wait to play for Ireland). It's a bit strange.
Will he be the difference, know idea, but he could be. He might not even be selected. Where do you draw the line in selecting players? Do they have to be born in NZ to play for NZ?

Thanks for the info re morgan.

Flem274*

123/5
Will he be the difference, know idea, but he could be. He might not even be selected. Where do you draw the line in selecting players? Do they have to be born in NZ to play for NZ?

Thanks for the info re morgan.
Well I grumble about Wagner and co. but eventually accept it, but someone who has already played an international for another country is too much for me.

Definitely don't need to be New Zealand born.

Wright

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Well I grumble about Wagner and co. but eventually accept it, but someone who has already played an international for another country is too much for me.

Definitely don't need to be New Zealand born.

Would be nice if we could get some decent foreigners into the team for a change rather than the mediocre ones we have been selecting, although I'm not sure which category Ronchi would fit into. I guess its one thing you can say about the Aussies they pick predominantly aussies (although they did select Grimmett).

Last edited:

jcas0167

International Debutant
Do we really want to be like England? The Morgan thing is still ick imo.

It will never sit right with me to see someone who has represented another country at 20/20-ODI-test level then represent us, not matter where they were born.

If all the first fives in NZ spontaneously combusted and Quade Cooper crossed the Tasman to play for us, would you be comfortable with that?
No, but I wouldn't mind getting Owen Farrell :p

Another example could be Brad Thorn? He represented Australia & Queensland in League then decided to come back to NZ and became a great All Black. No one seemed too bothered. Rory Fallon played in all the England youth teams before switching in his mid 20's after they changed the eligibility rules.

The Ronchi issue just doesn't bother me much emotionally. For better or for worse he soon becomes eligible. So the question is whether he would improve the team or not.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, I think it's a fairly superficial reason to be opposed to a players inclusion. Provided that he's professionally committed to the bc's I couldn't care less.

Anyway, I support the kiwi league team no problems. Half of that lot couldn't point to new zealand on a map of new zealand. Ronchi is small beer by comparison.

Last edited:

Howsie

International Captain
Meh, as long as Watling is given a fair crack I couldn't care less. I'd hate to see him given a couple of tests only to be shafted as soon as Ronchi qualifies. Especially seeing as he's practically changed his entire game for the good of New Zealand cricket.

Flem274*

123/5
How much more of being left on the sideline are some of the Wellington players going to take? Not Wellington trolling, trying to be serious for a change. Boam, Pollard, Tugaga, Friday etc must be getting pretty bored.

And on the topic of Australians playing cricket in NZ, I know Hutchinson came here because he got an offer and has always wanted to play FC, but does he have any NZ aspirations or is he just here for the fun?

Looks a decent bowler from what I've seen. I'm surprised he hasn't played Aussie stuff since he bowls at a good clip with movement and accuracy, and since Aussie Shield wickets seem to be green he would be a weapon. Which team would he play for over there and who is ahead of him?

jcas0167

International Debutant
How much more of being left on the sideline are some of the Wellington players going to take? Not Wellington trolling, trying to be serious for a change. Boam, Pollard, Tugaga, Friday etc must be getting pretty bored.
I think Tugaga will secure a starting place now with Gillespie out & Woakes being called up for England's ODI side. Would be nice to see Friday in action as he is meant to be faster.

Boam & Pollard should come in for the HRV Cup. Otherwise where could those guys go? I guess Canterbury?

Binkley

U19 Captain
A question guys - how successful have the Friday night HRV matches been in terms of attracting crowds and interest? I thought it was an awesome idea, but I have caught very little action live (either on telly or at the ground) 'cos, well, its Friday night and there are lots of other things that keep dragging me away.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The crowd looked decent in a Hamilton game I saw. But I'm expecting it to look fairly dismal tonight! I'll probably do my bit and go along, but I think any atmosphere will be lost in the mass of empty seats. They're optimistically talking about a crowd of 5000 - that leaves 45,000 or so empty.

sonnench

U19 12th Man
I'll be down there tonight, hoping for a good game.

Not going to have much sleep though, having to wake up for the t20 tomorrow morning.

Cricket CoachDB

U19 Debutant
Do we really want to be like England? The Morgan thing is still ick imo..
There's a big difference in that Ireland don't play Test cricket. It hasn't worked out for him, but he was very specific that Test cricket was the reason he switched to England. He had hit the pinnacle of the level he was playing at; van Wyk and Ronchi didn't make it (or were discarded) in the level they played at!

Plus of course we kinda made Morgan: he's had ten years coaching at Middlesex. Same with Boyd Rankin: he wasn't anywhere near the bowler he is now until Warwickshire's bowling coach Graeme Welch got hold of him.

That said, Ronchi was always going to end up in the frame for New Zealand as long as every incumbent failed miserably with the bat! Watling might do OK yet, but if not, it's bound to be Ronchi next. As far as I'm concerned he has enough of a right to do so once eligible. Thems the rules!

Cricket CoachDB

U19 Debutant
He's a Queenslander I think, and yeah he wants to play for New Zealand.
Yeah, he came out with that great contradictory quote in pre-season, something like "I've always been split 50/50 down the middle. But I've always taken my mums side and supported New Zealand". So...which is it? :blink:

EDIT: 2011 QSLD Grade averages: http://mycricket.cricket.com.au/common/pages/public/rv/cricket/bowlingav.aspx?entityid=12832

Hutchinson's wicket tally is great, but average and notably economy rate is worse than those in the State picture. He's just behind people like Exelby and Fitzpatrick, but was never going to match the quality of Cutting and McDermott. Probably not too far behind the likes of Gannon, Walter, Feldman and Gale, but behind them nonetheless.

Last edited:

Cricket CoachDB

U19 Debutant
Time for a lower-order-runfest update:

Scott Kuggeleijn 142* vs CD (maiden FC 100)
Bruce Martin 114 vs ND
Bruce Martin 56* vs CD
Tarun Nethula 108 vs Otago (maiden FC 100)
Adam Milne 97 vs Otago
Tim Southee 156 vs Wellington (maiden FC 100)
Mark Gillespie 77 vs Canterbury
Ian Butler 73* vs CD
Ian Butler 63* vs ND
Mark Craig 93 vs ND
Kyle Mills 70 vs Canterbury
Matthew Bates 59 vs CD
Ish Sodhi 48 vs Otago (FC debut knock)
Ish Sodhi 50 vs CD
Gareth Andrew 180* vs Auckland (maiden FC 100)
Ben McCord 47 vs Otago
Neil Wagner 68 vs CD
Mark Craig 63 vs CD
Scott Kuggeleijn 83 vs ND
Dane Hutchinson 45 vs ND

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
As you alluded to though, what other city would Tugaga enjoy tbh. He's not a Howsie guy obvs, not a South Island guy, not even a SteveNZ guy. If Jeet Raval is received in the provinces with disgruntlement and whispering behind hands, I kind of presume Boam would be as well.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year

A question guys - how successful have the Friday night HRV matches been in terms of attracting crowds and interest? I thought it was an awesome idea, but I have caught very little action live (either on telly or at the ground) 'cos, well, its Friday night and there are lots of other things that keep dragging me away.
It would be interesting to see some TV ratings, on a Friday night in smaller towns they might be high enough for Sky to say it's been a really big success. Home West Indies tour next season will probably F their A again a bit in terms of Black Caps playing.

I enjoy it a lot because I'm a big fan of the inadvertently farcical and semi-pro bits, combined with new guys who might actually make it. It's pretty low fare though. McGoldrick popping up to shill for upcoming Sky events every five minutes, ads for Big Ben pies and Tux in the breaks.