• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand Domestic Cricket Season 2012/2013

jcas0167

International Debutant
Wasn't that the series were Warne took 40 wickets at 20?
Heh. Yes, he averaged 19.92 in the 2005 Ashes with 40 wickets compared to 25.79 in the 1993 series with 34 wickets, when he delivered the ball of the century. I guess England won so it's easy to think they must have sorted out a way to handle Warne.

Last edited:

Chubb

International Regular
I may be leaving Invercargill to take up a job in Wellington in the new year.

Since I moved to NZ I haven't lived in large cities and don't know much about cricket there. I've played senior reserve in Timaru without success, done well in North Otago second grade and okay in Southland senior reserve. Ideally I'd want to keep playing at the same level I am at now. I know the standard here will be crap compared to Wellington.

I don't want to play 2020 bashy stuff, I want to play "proper" cricket with people who are taking it reasonably seriously, like village cricket in England, but I know I won't be good enough for the top grades.

There seems to be a wide range of different types of cricket played up there. I also know some of the guys at my potential new workplace play cricket so perhaps they will introduce me to a club but what can you guys tell me about it?

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member

jk, with a foreign passport and the ability to land it on the cut strip, you'll probably be bowling for Wellington by the end of the season.

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Wondered if Southee might have played a semi-controlled batsman-like attacking innings but nah, from that it just looks like good slogging. I liked the bounce in Patel's approach to the crease at the start of the vid btw.

And yeah, Tugaga looks good - haven't seen him before - nice action and shape. But I guess if he's not being chosen every week in the Wellington side he must not be getting the results.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I can get you a club, don't you worry about that... :ph34r:

And since the reforms to the Pearce Cup eligibility last season, pretty much any club here worth its salt has a Pearce Cup team. If you're worried that the standard in Pearce might be a bit high, then the big clubs tend to have teams in the top two leagues.

Top grades play ODers, two dayers and 20:20s at different times of the year.

Alternatively, just find your way to the pub. Better than most other Wellingtonians round here can achieve it seems. :ph34r:

Meridio

International Regular

Since I moved to NZ I haven't lived in large cities and don't know much about cricket there. I've played senior reserve in Timaru without success, done well in North Otago second grade and okay in Southland senior reserve. Ideally I'd want to keep playing at the same level I am at now. I know the standard here will be crap compared to Wellington.

I don't want to play 2020 bashy stuff, I want to play "proper" cricket with people who are taking it reasonably seriously, like village cricket in England, but I know I won't be good enough for the top grades.

There seems to be a wide range of different types of cricket played up there. I also know some of the guys at my potential new workplace play cricket so perhaps they will introduce me to a club but what can you guys tell me about it?
HDS, Voltman, Bahnz, Meridio to comment
They made a whole heap of changes to Wellington club cricket this season; I'm not there anymore so don't know exactly how they've panned out, and I think the structure has changed quite a lot. I think the top grade (Pearce Cup) now has about 12 teams in it, and then below that there's a Reserve grade with all those clubs' second teams (Heef to confirm). After that there's about six more grades, with a few smaller clubs thrown in, and a few local T20 leagues.

Pearce Cup is a decent standard, though having said that, when I was in Wellington there was a big gap between the top three teams and the rest. I'd say Southland Reserve etc. would be lower standard that Wellington Reserve grade, so you're probably best aiming a bit below that.

Obviously what club you join will depend on where you live, though make sure you follow the golden rule: don't join Easts.

Chubb

International Regular
One of the few things I did know about Wellington club cricket is to avoid Lance Dry!

Thanks for the info guys.

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
One of the few things I did know about Wellington club cricket is to avoid Lance Dry!
I did wonder if you wanted to learn how to be the least popular person in Wellington club cricket (and most successful).

I would highly recommend Taita CC. Guaranteed to find a spot in a team there. Good bunch of guys too - especially now I'm not playing.

Meridio

International Regular
Didn't you play for Easts? I'm sure Ch00baka will advocate signing for them to allow learning from Lance Dry.
Oh, God no. Heeded your warning when I arrived in Wellington and stayed well clear. Biggest bunch of ****s I've ever played against - plenty of teams have one or two ****s, whereas Easts have several.