• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand Domestic Cricket Season 2012/2013

Mike5181

International Captain
That bad thing about our first-class bowlers atm is that most of the promising ones are seriously injury-prone. Milne, Small, Wheeler, Henry, Bennett etc all miss more games than they play. When they are all out, the standard of our bowling attacks isn't great.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yep, and it's been a huge problem for CD in particular the last three years running. Really makes me wonder about the quality of their medical staff and practice facilities.

On the other hand, u23 fast bowlers are always more vulnerable to breaking down than anyone else.

Mike5181

International Captain
Yeah I dunno. Inexperience maybe? There's some pretty youthful attacks out there I guess.

Just had a look at the most runs chart, and of the 10 guys with over 300 runs and averaging 50+, 9 are top six batsmen. A lot of them are names we've seen before though.

Munro
Redmond
Carlchopa
Ryder
Papps
Fulton
Yovich
Anderson
Craigchopa

With Andrew being the sneaky lower order hero in there, and Tastle, Brownlie and Will Young just outside it.

Cricket Records | Records | Plunket Shield, 2012/13 | Most runs | ESPN Cricinfo

edit: looking at that list brings it home to me just how relatively easy it is to have awesome stats at the halfway mark of the season. One big innings and some okay scores sees you up there.
You'd have to say, with the exception of Will Young, there's not much to be excited about batting-wise.

Flem274*

123/5
@ mike: Yeah I only really think Brownlie, Carlchopa, Anderson and Young have it in them to make the step up, and they are far from the finished article atm.

Haven't seen enough of Craigchopa to comment obvz.

It's interesting looking at the most runs/wickets because on our diet of Kippax vids and our own browsing of the highlights site, I never would have picked some of the guys who have the best stats to have the best stats.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I mean Gareth Andrew has been making hay. It's sad. And that's having faced plenty of bowling from NZ internationals - Martin & Mills, Arnel & Aldridge. ND only got him out with a run out FFS.

M0rphin3

International Debutant
There's something wrong, and it's not good news for New Zealand cricket when the centuries are being scored by guys deploying brute force and ignorance. If we went by Domestic results, we'd be batting with a team of #8s with Jesse Ryder thrown in. Exceptional strike rate guaranteed, but would be ripped apart by a team of international bowlers.

Why is it that these 140km/h pacers can take top order wickets but not lower order wickets? This isn't a flash in the pan thing, it's the story of the season.
Yeah surprising tstl.Can't be the case of bowlers being unable to cop the pressure of leaking quick runs, surely? Or dire captaincy? Dire stuff either way - as much as like Southee et al doing well etc.

Binkley

U19 Captain
I think I pretty much agree with all that has already been said here. The bowling has definitely improved in the past few years - although maybe there are too many bowlers trying to take wickets with every ball, accuracy seems to have gone missing - while batting has been static at best.

I am really glad we seem to have left the days of the Michael Masons behind, those were truly dire times for first class cricket.

As for the batting, well we have lost some domestic stalwarts, the Parlanes and so on and the NZ players are away. But most of the batsmen left do seem terribly out of form. Which is a bit stink really. But Munro, Cachopa et al have shown that runs can be scored at the top of the order.

Flem274*

123/5
Michael Mason, along with O'Brien and Adams, was unlucky not to be five years younger tbh. Seriously underrated bowlers until O'Brien proved us all wrong about the perceived journeymen. They were unlucky to be around during a time when we had reasonable depth, though some wtf bowlers like Butler mk I were picked ahead of them.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
:happy:

Will be interesting to see what the delivery was like. Ryder's approach to batting in the Plunket Shield won't work at test level.
He chopped on trying to late cut a straight one. Wasn't good. Test cricket says 'hello'.
Edit. which was a shame as I would have loved to have seen some decent Rydeer v Southee action.

And yes, Mitchell was fielding at slip. His catch off Papps was a screamer.

Kugs looked seriously competent with the bat. Not tempted to get some slogging revenge on Southee :)

I just popped down to walk the dog and catch the last half hour.

Last edited:

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Nah I think the batting is the same as it was in the last 5 years or so, it's just now the bowlers are 140kph on fair pitches* and opposed to 120kph on roads and most can't cope.

So rather than appearing to have heaps of batting dept h, we are being told the truth. Hopefully the bump in bowling talent will see the batsmen adjust, but that will take some time.

*Colin Munro Park excepted.
I think this theory is pretty good. The pitches are fantastic nowadays, the bowling has responded to this change and now got better, now how will the top order batsmen respond. It's good times IMO. It is one tick for good work done by NZC and the Players Association.

I don't think all the bowlers at this level have the stamina to bowl as well late in the day, with the old ball etc. That's part of what separates the best from the rest. Especially young bowlers coming in as their is no decent 2nd XI comp. E.G this would have been a big jump in intensity for Tugaga today, while Kuggeleijn is probably playing above his level at this stage of his career, but Siddons is a big fan. Wellington depth tested today.

During the last decade - by the time of the 5th round of Plunket Shield takes place, it is March, all teams have 2 spinners, everyone's keeper is batting in the top 5 or 6 etc as the batting is goooood.

This years domestic schedule will shake up some of the 'norms' of the last decade.

Last edited:

Binkley

U19 Captain
Michael Mason, along with O'Brien and Adams, was unlucky not to be five years younger tbh. Seriously underrated bowlers until O'Brien proved us all wrong about the perceived journeymen. They were unlucky to be around during a time when we had reasonable depth, though some wtf bowlers like Butler mk I were picked ahead of them.
Adams and O'Brien were good players, but Mason was nothing more than a dobber. I can't remember him taking bags except on a greentop.

Binkley

U19 Captain
Yeah, he was so dire he even took 5fers on his home ground Napier.
Okay, okay - he wasn't the worst bowler in the world. Line and length has its virtues. But, admit it, he never, ever, got your heart racing with a vicious bouncer or searing yorker did he? Unlike Ian Butler in his young pomp...