• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand Domestic Cricket Season 2012/2013

Cricket CoachDB

U19 Debutant
Fuller is about to turn 23 and has played very little FC cricket. Flatters to deceive a bit maybe? Bowling 140kph outswing and hitting bouncers for 6 over mid-off was an impressive start.
People are gonna get sick of me posting these stat links, but it honestly was one of about 30 tabs that were open on my desktop: Cricket Records | Records | County Championship Division Two, 2012 - Gloucestershire | Batting and bowling averages | ESPN Cricinfo

Not much experience, no, but 8 Championship games is enough to consider him established for Gloucestershire now. Took his wickets at the end of the season when it was very slightly less cloudy. Came back well after some beatings in shorter stuff; he's still expensive, but he takes wickets. The batting's a bit of a bonus and obviously better suited to OD/T20.

Howsie

International Captain
Matt Quinn, Robbie O'Donnell and Phil Mustard in a 14-man squad for Auckland tomorrow.
Mustard joins Aces for Plunket Shield | Scoop News

Ben Horne would've been a strong candidate to continue the Bevan Beefcake 100* theme of this season's action tbh. I guess well done to Aces for resisting the sugar fix.
Jesus, Matt Quinn is close to playing first class cricket. Auckland must really be struggling. I can only assume Ferguson is injured or something?

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Not impressed with Mustard playing a Shield match. In for Munro.

I understand the imports for HRV, and if they are good, or depth is poor in places like Otago and Wellington then a Woakes or Trego makes sense. But a basher at number 5, and the 4th keeper in the XI. Meh. Do we really need to import strokeless hit through-the-line dashers to bat in the middle order (assuming Mustard is unchanged form his tour here in 08). Surely we have enough of them in each province.

Kitchen injured, Parlane in Northland? De Boorder unavailable? I still think O'Donnell or Horne etc would have been worth a crack. Surrounded by experience, playing very weak Canterbury. Plus it will only be 1 game until the Plunket Shield pause? ****ing piss weak Auckland. Hang your heads in shame Hopkins and Strang :dry:

Edit: and I'm not a youth for the sake of it sort of guy. I like it if players have to fight for a position within their team, and for the standard of the competition to be high. But this seems a golden opportunity for them to find out how good one of their future players currently is, and for that player to get a taste of a higher level.

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year

GENTLE RIBBING: Bevan Small fangirls lament long-term injury

Bevan Small will be bowling through the pain if he makes his return to Central Districts for their Plunket Shield game against Otago in Dunedin on Monday.

The Manawatu pace bowler has been called into the CD squad as their bowling stocks have been cut down by injury, but is still yet to have surgery on his recurring rib injury.

The injury has been a regular problem during the past couple of seasons, he is in pain a lot of the time and he was expecting it if he gets a chance to bowl against the Volts.

"It's pretty bad from ball one basically," he said.

"It's just a constant thing at the moment. I can't wait for the day that it's pain free."

The Stags have depth in their bowling department with a number of young bowlers but some are out of action.

Manawatu's Adam Milne was meant to tour South Africa with the Black Caps but pulled out with an Achilles tendon injury.

Scar tissue from an operation at the start of the year was causing him problems which led to Manawatu team-mate Roald Badenhorst replacing him in CD's Plunket Shield match against Wellington this week.

Doug Bracewell is with the national side and Ben Wheeler out for six weeks, not to mention captain and all-rounder Kieran Noema-Barnett who should be back by Boxing Day.

Small joined CD in Dunedin last night and is ready to deal with some discomfort while bowling, having done it for the past two and half years.

"I'll take a few pain killers.

"Basically I'm pretty keen to play until I have the operation, every chance I get," the brisk seamer said.

The 20-year-old will have to wait until he gets the results of an MRI scan he had during the week before the surgeon can make a final decision on when to have the operation.

Surgery will put him out for about three months but because it has dragged on so long during the past two years, he wanted to get it out of the way.

Small has been assured by medical staff he can't do any further damage if he keeps bowling.

The end of the 11th rib is damaged, a rare case which the surgeon hadn't seen any cricketers in New Zealand with.

Stand-in CD captain Jamie How is aware of the injury, so they will be able to manage his bowling and Small is confident he can stand up to the rigours of a four day game.

"For Manawatu I got 18 overs in a day," Small said.

"It's a thing you've got to truck through."

Milne is targeting CD's HRV Cup Twenty20 match on Boxing Day to return and Black Cap all-rounder Jacob Oram should be fit for the match as well.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
So Gareth Andrew over as a bowler for Canterbury now has 260 runs at 65 for them. No surprise Brownlie and Tastle were the only other run scorers for Canterbury in that 327/8 though.

Pity Andrew only has the 5 wickets at 56 - particularly when Lonsdale and Nuttall tend to look more impressive than they actually are.

Flem274*

123/5
Eek, not good figures from Marto. Considering he's going to SA I hope there were a lot of dropped catches.

Been a while since MILLS! dicked a batting line up in the whites as well. Gunnage.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Kitchen injured, Parlane in Northland? De Boorder unavailable? I still think O'Donnell or Horne etc would have been worth a crack. Surrounded by experience, playing very weak Canterbury. Plus it will only be 1 game until the Plunket Shield pause? ****ing piss weak Auckland. Hang your heads in shame Hopkins and Strang :dry:

Edit: and I'm not a youth for the sake of it sort of guy. I like it if players have to fight for a position within their team, and for the standard of the competition to be high. But this seems a golden opportunity for them to find out how good one of their future players currently is, and for that player to get a taste of a higher level.
De Boorder definitely available but has been pushed back in the queue for turning down a contract, even though he was assured that wouldn't be the case. Been in rampant mood in club stuff but probably won't play again.

I can't see the harm in playing Mustard. You want your overseas player in nick going into the competition you signed him for and simply on run-scoring ability, he's a better option than an 18-year-old. O'Donnell is one for the future. Horne hasn't been scoring club runs and didn't get any at the World Cup either. At the end of the day, they're still trying to win a competition and Mustard is probably the best middle order bat to contribute to a total.

Agree with Howsie on Matt Quinn though, he's average. And it is summer, so Lochie is probably injured.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Northern with an absurdly strong batting lineup and Wellington missing most of their frontline bowlers. Should be a massacre at Karori Park.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Northern with an absurdly strong batting lineup and Wellington missing most of their frontline bowlers. Should be a massacre at Karori Park.
Both openers gone now. I'm pleased to see Tugaga getting a game, he seems like a talented player with bat and ball.

Last edited:

Immenso

Tugaga is a bit left field, where is Friday?

Hutchison will need to keep it tight with both Kugs and Tugaga playing. Got a wicket each so far though. Good opportunity for Tugaga, 3 (maybe 4 if Friday injured?) bowlers ahead of him in the queue falling over.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Tugaga is a bit left field, where is Friday?

Hutchison will need to keep it tight with both Kugs and Tugaga playing. Got a wicket each so far though. Good opportunity for Tugaga, 3 (maybe 4 if Friday injured?) bowlers ahead of him in the queue falling over.
I've heard Friday is really fast, he also has a contract but never seems to get a game.

Immenso

Auckland need some Dean Bartlett. I would back his pace and bounce, and nagging areas to have gotten through this Canterbury tail. Both bowling openers hitting the ton, no Munro, and CdG as 3 rd seamer.

De Boorder at 5, with his off breaks in for Mustard. Bartlett in for Singh. Maybe I'll eat my hat in day 4 though ....
This selection for this match just doesn't cut the mustard ... (I'll get my coat ..)

Immenso

I've heard Friday is really fast, he also has a contract but never seems to get a game.
Boam and Friday, under Siddons. Thou shalt not play.

But to be fair maybe he's injured, and Boam hasn't taken his few chances this year (and it always seems to be the captain who is out if form, Elliot last year & Murdoch this year, so hard to drop)

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I'm originally from wellington but I want to see a massive partnership here.

I also want to see Ryder play a tight innings against a good bowling attack.