Cricket Player Manager
Page 7 of 221 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Thread: *Official* New Zealand Domestic Cricket Season 2012/2013

International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Looks good, but no way will he get away with bowling that slowly in higher levels of cricket. That's just absurd levels of loop
    Exit pursuing a beer

Super Mario Rampage 1 Champion!
    Joe Austin-Smellie has moved over to Australia and retired from all cricket. Big call for a 22 year old with his talent level.
    Northern Districts
    Proudly supporting KS Williamson, TG Southee, TA Boult, DG Brownlie, BJ Watling, CJ Anderson and IS Sodhi

Firebirds hope Englishman can right the ship | Stuff.co.nz

Firebirds hope Englishman can right the ship
    MARK GEENTY

Tight financial times at Cricket Wellington haven't stopped them chasing an English import to play all three formats for the Firebirds this season.

Chief executive Peter Clinton, who will explain what is understood to be a six-figure financial deficit for 2011-12 to club chairmen tonight, confirmed CW were well advanced in negotiations with a non-international county all-rounder.

The player is available from December onward and, if signed, will stay for the rest of the summer. CW hope to make an announcement by the end of this month.

Clinton ruled out signing a marquee T20 player in the mould of Muttiah Muralidharan or Brett Lee, their headline acts of the past two seasons when they finished last and fifth, respectively. But a county pro, just outside England international reckoning, was seen as central to their hopes of winning their first trophy since 2004.

“It was a big part of our thinking for the Firebirds to be better positioned to compete across the full season, across all three formats, we really needed a player who could play all three formats," Clinton said.

"We're looking for a senior, experienced professional to blend in with that team and hopefully make an impact across the full season."

Any other T20 imports, probably from Australia, would only be considered on a game-by-game basis if injuries struck and they needed a like-for-like player.

Clearly, Clinton and second-year coach Jamie Siddons see this season as one where the Firebirds finally deliver. It wouldn't be before time.

Clinton is opening the coffers to send a 15-man Firebirds squad to Mt Maunganui for a 10-day camp, including four days of cricket against Northern Districts. That will be in mid-October, just before their Plunket Shield opener against Central Districts in Napier on October 28.

“We've gone into Plunket Shield matches a bit underdone in terms of grass [pitches], so we worked pretty hard to find something more meaningful, pre-season," Clinton explained.

Fourth in the Plunket Shield was Wellington's best finish last season, but Clinton saw significant progress under the guidance of Siddons who has two more years on his initial contract. Although current test frontliners James Franklin and Jeetan Patel will probably be seen less, a roster including internationals Andy McKay, Mark Gillespie, Luke Woodcock and Grant Elliott, along with former Australian gloveman Luke Ronchi, who is eligible for New Zealand selection in January, saw Siddons aiming high.
    Ad Feedback

“I've talked to Jamie and he wants to win all three titles, of course. I don't see why we can't. I think we've got every chance," Clinton said. "You want to have plenty of players in the Black Caps at all times but with some of those players missing out it does strengthen our domestic side.

"We've got a good opportunity this year. If they're all available and fit then they're a pretty strong unit."

A decision on a captain hasn't yet been made. Elliott led the team with minimal success last summer, and Siddons previously suggested Franklin may be considered as skipper in some formats to ease the pressure on Elliott. Franklin's increased role with the Black Caps might scupper that idea.

Elliott has just returned from the Netherlands and will discuss the captaincy with Siddons and director of cricket Robbie Kerr in the next week, Clinton said.

- © Fairfax NZ News
    I have no problem with an import, E.g. Neil Wagner and Jonathon Trott increased the standard of the entire competition. But this is an odd bit of recruiting IMO.

Peter Clinton, may I introduce you to Grant Elliot and Harry Boam and Luke Woodcock and James Franklin.

Wellington could do with a decent batsman (if/when Franklin & Ryder are called up to higher level),

or maybe a decent seam bowler (although I would be happy with the youngsters Kuggeleijn & Friday competing for the 3rd seam bowler spot alongside Gillespie & McKay)

They have plenty of all-rounder cover, a disgruntled grassroots, and a 100k deficit.

International Captain straw man's Avatar
    Pinning your strategy on a big expensive project that will apparently solve everything, while in fact neglecting the other 90% of your job where improvements are less easily defined and require hard work, is an easy way for a manager in any organisation to look like they're doing something. (How's that for a cynical sentence :-/ What a grumpy ****).

As you've pointed out, signing another all-rounder really does take the cake though.

Sounds a lot like a teammate of Jeets' doesn't it, Chris Woakes.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Feral Abacus View Post
    Another exaggerated personality stereotype conspiracy brought to you by Kippax.
    NZ RAIN RADAR . AGRIBUSINESS MONITORING . KIPPAX CRICKET . DOOR TO THE VAULT

Quote Originally Posted by Kippax View Post
    They used the phrase non-international though, and Woakes has played for England. Out of England reckoning would be a stretch too given he played for England about a week ago. It's possible they just stuffed that up a bit but I think it's unlikely.

I immediately thought of Chris Nash. He's been to New Zealand to play before, has improved his bowling enough over the last two seasons to be classified as an allrounder now and would arrest some of the top order issues Wellington have as he's a genuine opener. He'd fit the "experienced" vibe I think the article is sending out and he's never played for England.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a man’s right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of one’s own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain one’s life and to keep the results of one’s own efforts.

Yeah I dont see the use of an all rounder, top order batsman is what they are short of. Franko, Woodcock, Boam, Elliott even Ryder, what are they on about? At least 3 of them wont be playing for the Blackcaps anytime soon. Although I agree, Woodcock isnt the spinner the media thinks he is. Just a dart thrower who is a dog fighting batsman.

Is Kuggeleijn any good? Heard he is quick, anyone know how fast? Young batting talent needs to be uncovered this season. Walsh maybe? Stella season from Pollard? I hope so.

State Vice-Captain BackFootPunch's Avatar
    Nash would probably be a good bet I reckon. He didn't do particularly well for Otago in the T20 stuff a couple of years ago but certainly seemed a decent bloke for the brief period he was here.

I guess it could also be someone like Darren Stevens who was out here playing for Otago at the same time as Nash. Or perhaps ten Doeschate/Napier who Franklin would've played with at Essex.

State Vice-Captain BackFootPunch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blain View Post
    Young batting talent needs to be uncovered this season. Walsh maybe? Stella season from Pollard? I hope so.
    They should give Craig Cachopa a decent run in the side. Not sure how his club form was last season but he absolutely lit it up in Auckland a couple of years back.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    I immediately thought of Chris Nash. He's been to New Zealand to play before, has improved his bowling enough over the last two seasons to be classified as an allrounder now and would arrest some of the top order issues Wellington have as he's a genuine opener. He'd fit the "experienced" vibe I think the article is sending out and he's never played for England.
    Yeah nice Cribb, although a Wgtn crowd will laugh if Nash is presented to them as 'just outside international reckoning', usually you try to under-promise and over-deliver on these things. Coincidently (or not! or not! or not!) the T20 finals day was recently put into our video vault, Nash making an 80.

Nash with ball
    http://nzcpooch.blob.core.windows.ne...7/1_016_04.mp4
    Nash batting, often gets his premeditated scoop on
    http://nzcpooch.blob.core.windows.ne...7/2_018_01.mp4

I saw him in a few limited over matches, wasnt very impressed.. Played some dumb shots and looked out of his depth. He's young though.

Is Kuggeleijn any good? Heard he is quick, anyone know how fast? Young batting talent needs to be uncovered this season. Walsh maybe? Stella season from Pollard? I hope so.
    He's got some pretty decent wheels, was clocked at 140k as a school boy a couple of seasons ago.

International Vice-Captain Mike5181's Avatar
    Yeah I dont see the use of an all rounder, top order batsman is what they are short of. Franko, Woodcock, Boam, Elliott even Ryder, what are they on about? At least 3 of them wont be playing for the Blackcaps anytime soon. Although I agree, Woodcock isnt the spinner the media thinks he is. Just a dart thrower who is a dog fighting batsman.

Here's some footage of Kuggeleijn bowling:
    Scott Kuggeleijn - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Kippax View Post
    I heard Peter Trego was coming out to New Zealand this summer, so he was my initial guess. Turns out he's signed with CD however.

International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5181 View Post
    Here's some footage of Kuggeleijn bowling:
    Scott Kuggeleijn - YouTube
    Really short paces in his run up which is weird, but his actual action looks powerful.

Page 7 of 221 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Thread Information