• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand Domestic Cricket Season 2012/2013

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Bowling, Woaksey. Good to see the Bears combo in suffocating form :D Although no way should Kuggeleijn be above Woakes in the batting order! Hmm, I suppose this makes me a Wellington fan for the season..not sure how I feel about that :unsure:

Why's Trego not bowling I wonder?
They said he wasn't 100% had a bad foot.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Maybe not the best bowler "in this form of the game" (heh heh), but he really stepped up to the plate for Somerset during their injury crisis in the County Championship this season: Cricket Records | Records | County Championship Division One, 2012 | Most wickets | ESPN Cricinfo

11th highest wicket-taker in the top flight..not too shabby.
Yeah I know he had a good championship season; I made several posts about how surprised I was that teams were conspiring to let him have such good figures. Doesn't mean he doesn't bowl pies though. :p

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
As dominant as Ryder is in t20, I much prefer watching him play the line of the ball. The across the line swipes are impressive, but when he's playing those cover drives and back foot punches in test cricket he looks like a real world class batsman.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Anyone following the Gillette cup. seifert with a ton already. He is a 6th former right? I wonder if he will bother going to school next year or just try to play FC cricket instead?

jcas0167

International Debutant
Anyone following the Gillette cup. seifert with a ton already. He is a 6th former right? I wonder if he will bother going to school next year or just try to play FC cricket instead?
Sounds like someone with a big future. Interestingly, the guy whose records he's breaking at St Peters previously belonged to Olympic javelin thrower Stuart Farquhar who was apparently a good fast bowler as well.

cricket Cambridge St Peter's School Tim Seifert | Stuff.co.nz

Slippaah

U19 12th Man
How big are these schools like CHBS, PNBHS etc. ? Kings , the defending Gillette champs from 2010 and 2011, have 920 kids, 180 of whom are girls. AGS in Auckland has 2600 boys.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
I think that would be a pretty easy decision. School.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I think that would be a pretty easy decision. School.
I thought Duffy said he hadn't attended school in ages and he is a 7th former.

Back in my day you could get into university after 6th form - so I would go play FC cricket as long as had the grades in year 12 to get into uni later in life.

Immenso

If high school teachers like Aldridge and Scott can fit in thier jobs and then also get a paid sport during summer holidays, then I reckon a 16 year old can manage school and not throw it away for a 30k retainer.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
I thought Duffy said he hadn't attended school in ages and he is a 7th former.

Back in my day you could get into university after 6th form - so I would go play FC cricket as long as had the grades in year 12 to get into uni later in life.
and oldies always try to tell us how they had it hard compared to us. Academic inflation has gone through the roof, leaving in year 12 with the intention of going to uni is a massive risk for very little reward, even if you have the grades.

Last edited:

Immenso

Crazy how many FC players are high school teachers.
It dovetails perfectly. It's only semi-pro really below the top 20 odd on central contracts. So you either want to be a teacher with decent summer holidays, or a uni student, or some other income stream

Blain

U19 Captain
and oldies always try to tell us how they had it hard compared to us. Academic inflation has gone through the roof, leaving in year 12 with the intention of going to uni is a massive risk for very little reward, even if you have the grades.
You're all missing the point. Why go to Uni when you cant drink in your first year?? :unsure:

Na but seriously, if you finish 6th form with decent grades you can do most Diploma subjects. Maybe NZC Should try and do something like in the NRL, the Juniors have to be in some sort of training/part time work role along with playing. They probably already do.

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah they do. They have this young training camp thing over the winter where you get some coaching and you also have to show you're doing something for yourself outside cricket, whether that be school, uni or a regular job.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Hmmm, no Milne for CD. Are they just resting him ahead of the SAF tour, or has he broken down with injury again?

Immenso

Really disappointed so many of the CD quicks are out of this match, as would have been a good gauge against a strong looking Wellington batting lineup.