• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand Domestic Cricket Season 2012/2013

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
Kinda odd that there's nothing on the NZC website about the Sri Lanka tour. Perhaps the Lankans have been slack in getting it organised given they're hosting the T20 WC in a couple of weeks?

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
At least our players should be somewhat used to local conditions with the ODIs and a warmup before the tests. Still would prefer three tests obviously - just doesn't feel like a proper series otherwise.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Kinda odd that there's nothing on the NZC website about the Sri Lanka tour. Perhaps the Lankans have been slack in getting it organised given they're hosting the T20 WC in a couple of weeks?
I actually convinced myself there wasn't a tour, even when I knew there was. And when Ross told me there was on the radio yesterday. Weird by NZC.

NZ players or no NZ players, Friday night HRV is bladdy good.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
I’m really pleased they have re-jigged the domestic calendar to get rid of the separate blocks for the 3 forms of cricket.

But until I can see the domestic calendar alongside the Blackcaps calendar (SL tour, SA tour, Eng inbound tour) I will still reserve some judgement.

I read a few months David White saying something about this changing. This is the first positive move of his since taking over from Vaughan, so off to a positive start IMO.

The absolute disrespect our administration has shown to Plunket Shield and test cricket over the last decade has revealed them as an organisation geared up solely as an overseas TV money harvester. Hopefully we will now see a more balanced and sustainable approach. Because being completely useless at playing cricket puts a lot of that overseas money at great risk.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Friday nights at the Cake Tin without NZ players, pretty hopeful there.
Is it really at the cake tin. Have mixed feelings about that. The basin is tough to get to by train while the cake tin is a brief walk from the train station. So for a friday night venue it is better for me - but it will be stink sitting in a massive empty stadium.

Also the best part of the HRV cup is the black caps. You can really see the gulf, between a black cap and the other players - and it is heart warming to see crowds turn up just to see Scott Styris (former blackcap) Kane and Tim.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Ish Sodhi's Batting Heroics, U19 World Cup Quarterfinal - YouTube (yep, U19 WC video is now in the vault).

Is it really at the cake tin. Have mixed feelings about that. The basin is tough to get to by train while the cake tin is a brief walk from the train station. So for a friday night venue it is better for me - but it will be stink sitting in a massive empty stadium.
Yeah, a ghost town (even worse at Eden Park) will dictate the mood of Sky's product a lot too, but even with say $10 tickets I'm not sure they'll generate an atmosphere. May have to look at Martin Crowe and Graeme Hughes making a comeback for Friday Night Max....I mean, HRV, to make it 'showtime' and special. :happy:

Ryder and Ronchi opening up for the Firebirds, Vettori the only top-class LO bowler on the radar I can think of at this stage, this is definitely Athlai's Champions League year. :laugh:
Luke Ronchi 64(28) - West Indies v Australia 5th ODI at St Kitts 2008 - YouTube

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Bowled some deliveries at below 70kph there, interesting. Good turn, but didn't seem to be beating the batsmen outside off an awful lot which is strange.
Sodhi vs. Scotland U19 - YouTube
Certainly rips it past the outside edge of Scotland's bats in a low-key group match. :p

The late 2013 Bangladesh tour I reckon he wins (or has already won) a Test cap, Sodhi on course to have just a little bit more game than Greg Loveridge at 20.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Looks good, but no way will he get away with bowling that slowly in higher levels of cricket. That's just absurd levels of loop :laugh:

Howsie

International Captain
Joe Austin-Smellie has moved over to Australia and retired from all cricket. Big call for a 22 year old with his talent level.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Firebirds hope Englishman can right the ship | Stuff.co.nz

Firebirds hope Englishman can right the ship
MARK GEENTY

Tight financial times at Cricket Wellington haven't stopped them chasing an English import to play all three formats for the Firebirds this season.

Chief executive Peter Clinton, who will explain what is understood to be a six-figure financial deficit for 2011-12 to club chairmen tonight, confirmed CW were well advanced in negotiations with a non-international county all-rounder.

The player is available from December onward and, if signed, will stay for the rest of the summer. CW hope to make an announcement by the end of this month.

Clinton ruled out signing a marquee T20 player in the mould of Muttiah Muralidharan or Brett Lee, their headline acts of the past two seasons when they finished last and fifth, respectively. But a county pro, just outside England international reckoning, was seen as central to their hopes of winning their first trophy since 2004.

“It was a big part of our thinking for the Firebirds to be better positioned to compete across the full season, across all three formats, we really needed a player who could play all three formats," Clinton said.

"We're looking for a senior, experienced professional to blend in with that team and hopefully make an impact across the full season."

Any other T20 imports, probably from Australia, would only be considered on a game-by-game basis if injuries struck and they needed a like-for-like player.

Clearly, Clinton and second-year coach Jamie Siddons see this season as one where the Firebirds finally deliver. It wouldn't be before time.

Clinton is opening the coffers to send a 15-man Firebirds squad to Mt Maunganui for a 10-day camp, including four days of cricket against Northern Districts. That will be in mid-October, just before their Plunket Shield opener against Central Districts in Napier on October 28.

“We've gone into Plunket Shield matches a bit underdone in terms of grass [pitches], so we worked pretty hard to find something more meaningful, pre-season," Clinton explained.

Fourth in the Plunket Shield was Wellington's best finish last season, but Clinton saw significant progress under the guidance of Siddons who has two more years on his initial contract. Although current test frontliners James Franklin and Jeetan Patel will probably be seen less, a roster including internationals Andy McKay, Mark Gillespie, Luke Woodcock and Grant Elliott, along with former Australian gloveman Luke Ronchi, who is eligible for New Zealand selection in January, saw Siddons aiming high.
Ad Feedback

“I've talked to Jamie and he wants to win all three titles, of course. I don't see why we can't. I think we've got every chance," Clinton said. "You want to have plenty of players in the Black Caps at all times but with some of those players missing out it does strengthen our domestic side.

"We've got a good opportunity this year. If they're all available and fit then they're a pretty strong unit."

A decision on a captain hasn't yet been made. Elliott led the team with minimal success last summer, and Siddons previously suggested Franklin may be considered as skipper in some formats to ease the pressure on Elliott. Franklin's increased role with the Black Caps might scupper that idea.

Elliott has just returned from the Netherlands and will discuss the captaincy with Siddons and director of cricket Robbie Kerr in the next week, Clinton said.

- © Fairfax NZ News
I have no problem with an import, E.g. Neil Wagner and Jonathon Trott increased the standard of the entire competition. But this is an odd bit of recruiting IMO.

Peter Clinton, may I introduce you to Grant Elliot and Harry Boam and Luke Woodcock and James Franklin.

Wellington could do with a decent batsman (if/when Franklin & Ryder are called up to higher level),

or maybe a decent seam bowler (although I would be happy with the youngsters Kuggeleijn & Friday competing for the 3rd seam bowler spot alongside Gillespie & McKay)

They have plenty of all-rounder cover, a disgruntled grassroots, and a 100k deficit.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Pinning your strategy on a big expensive project that will apparently solve everything, while in fact neglecting the other 90% of your job where improvements are less easily defined and require hard work, is an easy way for a manager in any organisation to look like they're doing something. (How's that for a cynical sentence :-/ What a grumpy ****).

As you've pointed out, signing another all-rounder really does take the cake though.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Sounds a lot like a teammate of Jeets' doesn't it, Chris Woakes.
They used the phrase non-international though, and Woakes has played for England. Out of England reckoning would be a stretch too given he played for England about a week ago. It's possible they just stuffed that up a bit but I think it's unlikely.

I immediately thought of Chris Nash. He's been to New Zealand to play before, has improved his bowling enough over the last two seasons to be classified as an allrounder now and would arrest some of the top order issues Wellington have as he's a genuine opener. He'd fit the "experienced" vibe I think the article is sending out and he's never played for England.

Blain

U19 Captain
Yeah I dont see the use of an all rounder, top order batsman is what they are short of. Franko, Woodcock, Boam, Elliott even Ryder, what are they on about? At least 3 of them wont be playing for the Blackcaps anytime soon. Although I agree, Woodcock isnt the spinner the media thinks he is. Just a dart thrower who is a dog fighting batsman.

Is Kuggeleijn any good? Heard he is quick, anyone know how fast? Young batting talent needs to be uncovered this season. Walsh maybe? Stella season from Pollard? I hope so.

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
Nash would probably be a good bet I reckon. He didn't do particularly well for Otago in the T20 stuff a couple of years ago but certainly seemed a decent bloke for the brief period he was here.

I guess it could also be someone like Darren Stevens who was out here playing for Otago at the same time as Nash. Or perhaps ten Doeschate/Napier who Franklin would've played with at Essex.

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
Young batting talent needs to be uncovered this season. Walsh maybe? Stella season from Pollard? I hope so.
They should give Craig Cachopa a decent run in the side. Not sure how his club form was last season but he absolutely lit it up in Auckland a couple of years back.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
I immediately thought of Chris Nash. He's been to New Zealand to play before, has improved his bowling enough over the last two seasons to be classified as an allrounder now and would arrest some of the top order issues Wellington have as he's a genuine opener. He'd fit the "experienced" vibe I think the article is sending out and he's never played for England.
Yeah nice Cribb, although a Wgtn crowd will laugh if Nash is presented to them as 'just outside international reckoning', usually you try to under-promise and over-deliver on these things. Coincidently (or not! or not! or not!) the T20 finals day was recently put into our video vault, Nash making an 80.

Nash with ball
http://nzcpooch.blob.core.windows.net/0478e7ab-41c7-4703-a65f-17de59c0c207/1_016_04.mp4
Nash batting, often gets his premeditated scoop on
http://nzcpooch.blob.core.windows.net/0478e7ab-41c7-4703-a65f-17de59c0c207/2_018_01.mp4