• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand Domestic Cricket Season 2012/2013

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Plunket Shield: Kain will be able | Hawke's Bay Today

"We've been bowling enough [in the shield games] to be ready for the T20," Wheeler said, adding they had the wood on ND.

"We've got Marty Kain who's a top quality spinner so he's been practising the doosra and it's been coming out well," he said of the left-arm orthodox bowler from Nelson.

If the 24-year-old runs on then it'll be his debut in the HRV Cup.

Kain said he was getting deliveries coming back in to the right-handers from what he preferred to call "an arm ball".

"I've been practising it in the nets and I've got Dean Robinson out a few times already," he said, adding left-arm offspinner Ajaz Patel and the other boys were pretty excited, too.

Kain said it was vital for bowlers to keep thinking on their feet to bowl variation balls to be successful in a game that heavily favoured batsmen.

While Sinclair's Movember growth was "a beauty", Kain said he would have to up the tempo with the bat and keep wickets.

Mike5181

International Captain
Fast bowling unit of Boult, Southee, Bracewell, Gillespie, Wagner IMO.
Wagner's South African so he'd know the conditions over there, and Gillespie's had good success against them so that unit would make sense. Could be half useful actually.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
really unimpressed with what I've seen from Wagner.

Would prefer they give Milne a shot, and stick with Martin ahead of Gillespie.

Last edited:

Howsie

International Captain
Yep I'd take Adam Milne too, over both Martin and Wagner. Reckon it would be the perfect tour to introduce him to the test squad.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
4 quicks, bracewell and milne to take the ball after southee and boult.

...stop. I'm getting optimistic again.

Howsie

International Captain
Nope.

Erratic, does nothing with the ball whilst only being a little bit above medium pace. Massive hothead too. I've never been impressed and to be perfectly honest I can't see how anyone could be. As soon as Ben Wheeler gets over his fitness issues he'll fall behind him too I reckon.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yep I'd take Adam Milne too, over both Martin and Wagner. Reckon it would be the perfect tour to introduce him to the test squad.
I think Milne needs to do slightly more than take a 4fer on a greentop against the worst domestic batting lineup in the country before coming into serious contention for the Blackcaps. Wheeler outbowled him in that match anyway.

Also I'm not sure playing arguably the strongest batting lineup in the world in foreign conditions would be my definition of a perfect tour to debut in test cricket.

If Milne shreds domestic batting lineups this summer then maybe he could be debuted during the West Indies when they tour here next year. Moderate opposition in home conditions strikes me as an ideal scenario for a young quick to debut. It also gives Bracewell and Gillespie the time in the side that they've earned through their performances for New Zealand in the past 12 months.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think Milne needs to do slightly more than take a 4fer on a greentop against the worst domestic batting lineup in the country before coming into serious contention for the Blackcaps. Wheeler outbowled him in that match anyway.

Also I'm not sure playing arguably the strongest batting lineup in the world in foreign conditions would be my definition of a perfect tour to debut in test cricket.

If Milne shreds domestic batting lineups this summer then maybe he could be debuted during the West Indies when they tour here next year. Moderate opposition in home conditions strikes me as an ideal scenario for a young quick to debut. It also gives Bracewell and Gillespie the time in the side that they've earned through their performances for New Zealand in the past 12 months.
Howsie to make another post about x-factor players.

Blain

U19 Captain
Keep Milne in Domestic cricket imo, let him build up his record and experience. Even out of 20/20 and ODIs, let him rise to the top of domestic cricket before mounting pressure on him mentally and physically. Him, Wheeler and Small playing for CD would be awesome to watch.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Good points.

SA pitches are faster though. Might be quite rewarding for a young fast bowler, all that bounce and carry. It would also encourage him to use his pace.

On NZ pitches, the medium pace seamers seem to get a huge chunk of the rewards (see recent Ellis 6-fer and entire career of Daryl Tuffey).

You're right though, Gillespie and Bracewell have earned it, probably Martin too.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I'd definitely like gillespie on the tour, but only if fit, with overs under his belt, and on form. There's still 2 more pre Xmas games to go at least. Doesn't strike me as a good addition if things aren't quite riight.

With Bracewell's patchy form, it would be handy if he finds his mojo.
I would definitely take Gillespie if he's bowling well and is fit. Fit for Gillespie means having played three months of cricket without breaking down though.

Howsie

International Captain

Milne realistically doesn't have to do bugger all, he's quick, proper quick. Whether people like it or not having the ability to bowl 150k counts for a lot, especially in this country. His first class record is pretty handy anyway, if it stays where it is he'll be playing test cricket sooner rather than later. Certainly well before the Windies get here next summer anyway, I'd bet my house on it.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Milne realistically doesn't have to do bugger all, he's quick, proper quick. Whether people like it or not having the ability to bowl 150k counts for a lot, especially in this country. His first class record is pretty handy anyway, if it stays where it is he'll be playing test cricket sooner rather than later. Certainly well before the Windies get here next summer anyway, I'd bet my house on it.
You might be right, but just because the New Zealand cricket watching public has a serious boner for genuine pace bowlers, that shouldn't dictate selection policy. Milne still bowls a load of old rubbish. I've yet to see him bowl a spell where he doesn't consistently drop short and wide. Until he masters the fundamentals of seam bowling, international batsmen will continue to pick him apart.

Also, Milne hasn't looked genuinely fast since that T20 against Pakistan where he got boshed around at 12 rpo. He was high 130's to mid 140's in India and SL recently, which is pretty standard pace wise. Which is fine, he shouldn't kill himself trying to squeeze out a couple of 150k long hops an over. But South African and English batsmen will have no worries about playing him at that pace, especially if he continues to be all over the shop.

Last edited: