• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand Domestic Cricket Season 2012/2013

Flem274*

123/5
Most of them are what we'd consider slightly sub-FC in standard really. I'd say the Dutch would be capable enough in shorter formats-they were actually looking like potential semi-finalists in the English CB40 this season before they got worked out a bit towards the end. I think they'd win the odd game but be second bottom at best in 4 day in New Zealand. Same goes for Scotland (who beat Bangladesh recently).

Namibia is a really interesting one in that they play in the SA semi-pro second tier (which is FC). They generally finish bottom but bloody a few noses, with their best 4 or 5 players delivering the sort of numbers that mark them out as good enough to be reasonable players in County or NZ domestic cricket. Again, I wouldn't see them anything other than bottom as they don't have the depth.

UAE are just the definition of inconsistency-they'll beat Afghanistan one game and lose to Nepal the next. Every so often Khuram Khan might win a game on his own, but he's a bit ancient now.

But if you were to pick an XI out of the slightly lower Associates, they'd give any domestic NZ side a good game. Nepal's best spinner wouldn't be far off Kiwi international honours..and I'd say most of the top 10 Associates sides would do really well in a 2nd XI competition. Chapman's in that "just under FC" level as a top HK performer-only that was almost 2 years ago when he was still a child!
Wellington to read this and start hiring.

its funny because its true

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Hah, as soon as people notice Cachopa he chalks up a couple of failures. It's like the cricket equivalent of the Heisenberg uncertainty principle. Failure only becomes certain when people start watching. If we all just stopped watching the Blackcaps, they'd start racking up 500+ in every game.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
In the Seiffert discussion few pages ago, mentioned playing fergus-hickey trophy. Probably the talking point of that weekend was ex Wellington player D Bowden getting two 6 wicket bags for Northland. (Seiffert got a first baller, and a run-a-ball 20 odd in his games).

Edit: and N Parlane playing for Northland?
I know he turned down Auck contract, will this mean he is available for northern ( if work permits)?

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Some 2006 Franklin Wickets - YouTube (recent arrival in the vault, only Franklin's overs were upped, itstl)

Canterbury vs. Wellington, Day 1 - YouTube Best reverse-sweep by a No. 11 ever probably. Meanwhile Ryder continues looking a bit like a guy in the nets without any pads on, consciously trying to keep his front leg out of the way.

Kippax, would I be able to request Cachopa and Brownlie tons plz?
Tons take 30 mins to play through and then about 400MB down then up. Which is fine, but are Cachopa and Brownlie worth 80c. ;)

Here's a bit of Cachopa for those new to him.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43rD2tHam5c

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
:lol: Gillespie showing Wellington how to bat on a green top.

Brownlie and Fulton must have batted bloody well to last against Gillespie, McKay and Kugglejuggle on that. Even if one or all turned up on a bad Wellington attack day the pitch would still negate the terribleness somewhat and they're all pretty sharp.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Quite impressed Siddons rewarded Kuggs for his good HRV game and action improvements by putting him in the side. In hindsight Hutchinson's stock in-nippers perfect for that pitch just like Ellis.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Speaking of action improvements, I reckon Nethula has abandoned his and reverted back to his old one. Judging by video of his recent plunket matches

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
That was some vicious seam movement for Ellis to get Boam and Ronchi. Looks a difficult pitch unless you're Gillespie!

Flem274*

123/5
Are Franklin's knees gone nowadays or something? I mean there he actually runs in with purpose, gets in a perfect side-on position for outswing and has some semblance of a follow-through...
Yeah they are. After the 2007 world cup he got injured and was supposed to make a full recovery that took ages, but when he came back he was this version.

If he could still bowl like he does in the video he'd have 200 test wickets by now and would be in no danger of being dropped.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah; in some ways it's a shame that he's as good a domestic batsman as he is. If he didn't make six or seven comebacks and a batsman like he has, his legacy as a genuinely good Test bowler wouldn't be as tarnished as it is. He was a serious bowler before his injury.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah they are. After the 2007 world cup he got injured and was supposed to make a full recovery that took ages, but when he came back he was this version.
Who's requested the footage then and what are they hoping for, I wonder. The fact Bond (or Hesson, or someone) has recently requested vintage Franklin video suggests they think they can get more. Much more. :cool:

Flem274*

123/5
Haha yeah I hope so. Someone might have given him the tap on the shoulder to say even if he does somehow manage to become a test standard number six (har), he needs to offer something more than the likes of Anderson, Munro and Neesham can promise.

Getting back the bowling that got him 79 wickets at 27 in test cricket would be a good start.

We've heard it all before though. Every season he smokes some poor county blokes with the ball and we get our hopes up, only for him to trundle in and average 40 in the Plunket Shield. It must be constantly overcast during the English summer or something.

Meridio

International Regular
Haha yeah I hope so. Someone might have given him the tap on the shoulder to say even if he does somehow manage to become a test standard number six (har), he needs to offer something more than the likes of Anderson, Munro and Neesham can promise.

Getting back the bowling that got him 79 wickets at 27 in test cricket would be a good start.

We've heard it all before though. Every season he smokes some poor county blokes with the ball and we get our hopes up, only for him to trundle in and average 40 in the Plunket Shield. It must be constantly overcast during the English summer or something.
Can confirm that is indeed the case.

Have actually been reminiscing recently about Franklin's days as a good bowler. Don't really think there'll be any serious attempt to turn him back into one though. Having said that, while it's pretty obvious he just runs through the crease these days, I do think he can do a bit more than he currently does. What I'd like to see is him swinging the ball - haven't really seen him do this recently, and even if he trundles in at 125 km/h, it could still be useful in the right conditions.

lockton2skipper

U19 Debutant

that was on a good day last summer.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Vintage Franklin vs. Recent Franklin - YouTube

Tim Seifert, Peter Montgomery interview

Cricket: Knights struggling in Plunket Shield | Stuff.co.nz

wicketkeeper/batsman BJ Watling will be available for the next round and allrounder Daniel Vettori is eyeing the encounter as his first-class return from injury.
Cricket: CD more comfortable now topping shield... | Stuff.co.nz

But it's Twenty20 cricket that's now on the agenda for the Stags, when they're hosted by ND in Hamilton on Friday. Star import Peter Trego might be in their lineup, although there's still some negotiation going on there.

The Somerset allrounder isn't officially due till next month, but could be on deck, Hunt said.

Black Caps allrounder Jacob Oram won't be, having made himself unavailable for personal reasons.

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Personal reasons, ie he wants to play with his dog. And see his family. I could be wrong and if it's something wrong, I'd be embarrassed but that's the way it seems with him.

You know what - that's fine. No one can ever begrudge him that. But give the game up. You're contracted by NZC and part of that is making yourself available for your province. Otherwise you're just going through the motions to keep the pay rolling in.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Yes it's a long way from:

Jacob Oram said:
"If it means cutting the finger off, if that's the last resort, I'll do that, there's no way I'm missing this,"
to:

Jacob Oram said:
"I'd probably rather be at home with my son, my family and my dog right now than touring the world playing cricket."
Clearly his heart is not in it any more and so the right thing to do would be to retire.