• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand Domestic Cricket Season 2012/2013

Howsie

International Captain
Looked sharp from what I saw during Otago's first innings last week, mind you he didn't have that much work to do. Impressed a few people keeping to Sodhi in that second innings though apparently.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Seems to have picked up a decent number of dismissals already - including a few in the first couple of overs, which is usually a good sign. I'll be hoping he's in the team when ND come down to Wellington for the Plunket Shield.

Cricket CoachDB

U19 Debutant
He's been training with the ND squad all off-season and played in all their warm up games before the season started. Liked his view from behind the stumps when Ryder whacked that 40 ball 100 against ND a month ago apparently :sleep:

I think the plan with him his to allow for some more growth before throwing him into the deep end, hence the Wheater signing. Let him play some more association cricket, ND "A" etc and bring him into the mix next season. He's still at school at the moment but he's been part of the ND set up for about two years now, massive future in the game. Scored a ton of runs at school and has been talked up since he was about 13 years old.
It's fantastic to hear that he's been involved with the first team. It was a real thrill to see how he did at U18 level as it put some stats at a higher level on top what had before been just a few whispers and school scorecards. So often there's a buzz about a young kid, only for them to disappear-you only have to think about how much any person changes between the ages of 13 and 19!

Agreed that it does make sense to not rush him whilst giving him a taste in "A" cricket. That said, if he was Sri Lankan he'd probably have made the WC T20...

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
This could be the best season in ages for the Wellington Ryderbirds
Watched Karori Prems against I think Wainui on the pitch next to me.

Karori have Boam, Murdoch, and McKay. Karori scored 380 in 50 overs.

Incredible. Boam 110. Murdoch 150.

I watched Murdoch build his inning. Very cicumspect at first. He faced many maidens against a bowler who I personally felt I could have played some attacking strokes to. Instead he kept it ticking over off the other bowlers. Then with 15-20 overs to go they cut loose.

Massive 6s and 4s everywhere. But he built his inning and looked classy playing in grade cricket.

CricHQ | Matches

In Wainui's chase - some poor mongrel was facing McKay who bowled him a no ball. So on the free hit delivery McKay just bent his back and bowled a bouncer and the batsman wanted no part of it.
pretty good write up in the Dom about their partnership. Also some snippets about Boam's development of his game in off season. Sounds similar to Franklin a few years ago. Too correct, learning to smash 6s in this t20 world we live in .....

Which served him well on Fri night in a typical under-used Wellington appearance. DNB and DNB.

Kugs also got a club ton

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Badenhorst (who I think Hurricane liked in the A-Z) 10/14 against Taranaki on Saturday. :laugh:

Small played but was the dud sadly with 1/34, Mason 9/51.

Attachments

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Full strength side for opener | Stuff.co.nz

Hartmann will bat at No 5 behind openers Peter Ingram and Robinson, with captain Dion Ebrahim at three and Young at four.

The other newcomer is Hondo - a former Zimbabwean international.

A fast bowler, Hondo plays his club cricket for the Hawera United premier side and takes the one available spot in the rep team for an overseas player.

O'Neill said Hondo has fitted in well to the rep squad since arriving late last month.

"We'll use him in the pre-Christmas games on the wickets that suit him," he said.

O'Neill said Hondo hits the wicket hard with the ball, adding Hondo's experience had already proved its worth, with him passing on bowling tips to the young players in the squad.

O'Neill doesn't need telling of the importance for a team to start the cup series well. It's a competition that if you start badly and get off the pace, getting back in contention is almost impossible.

There are six teams chasing the one available spot to challenge for the cup which is currently held by Hamilton. O'Neill was yesterday talking of a first innings win against Manawatu at best.

"The wicket at Pukekura Park is as good as I've seen prepared in years for a Taranaki game," he said. "So you would expect both batting sides might be hard to get out on that. I'd be surprised if it went to an outright result." :laugh:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
And Dion Ebrahim!?

Hawke Cup rocks. Used to be such a big deal growing up in the provinces. Good to see Mason still turning out for Manawatu.
Makes me want to dig up his tribute thread. His final game ever in List A will live in folk lore.

Blain

U19 Captain
With the all rounders going round atm, and with the old/average ones in the Blackcaps (Ellis, Oram), who do you think has the most potential to take the next spot available? Basically they all need another season in domestic to get experience.

I'm fans of Boam, Neesham and probably Anderson (Looks like he's back to bowling full time, and looks handy). I think it's pretty dumb leaving Boam out of the Firebirds, and having Elliott there making 0 runs and bowling 5 overs a game. Basically keeping his spot because of experience and a big score every 5 games.

With these guys around, with the likes of Boult, Southee, Milne, Small, Henry, Bracewell, Williamson, Rutherford, Latham and the likes, that age group looks strong for the next decade.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
With the all rounders going round atm, and with the old/average ones in the Blackcaps (Ellis, Oram), who do you think has the most potential to take the next spot available? Basically they all need another season in domestic to get experience.

I'm fans of Boam, Neesham and probably Anderson (Looks like he's back to bowling full time, and looks handy). I think it's pretty dumb leaving Boam out of the Firebirds, and having Elliott there making 0 runs and bowling 5 overs a game. Basically keeping his spot because of experience and a big score every 5 games.

With these guys around, with the likes of Boult, Southee, Milne, Small, Henry, Bracewell, Williamson, Rutherford, Latham and the likes, that age group looks strong for the next decade.
Well, the bowling looks strong, not so sure about the batting...of the all rounders, none of them have really stood out yet. Your certainly right that there's a space available for whoever gets noticed first.

Last edited:

Blain

U19 Captain
The thing with thier bowling is they are all very similar, 125-130kph medium pacers. Neesham has had some good success with his bowling so far, and Anderson is only just starting up again. Jimmy is your smasher at 6, CJ is a aggressive 5 and Boam is probably a more run gatherer at 4. But as you say, they all need to be more consistant with their batting. I think Anderson scored 4 runs in his last to innings to back up his hundy, interested to see how Neesham goes.