• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand Domestic Cricket Season 2012/2013

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Central need to get Ryder out now. 45 overs left and 170 needed. If Ryder stays, Wellington should win easy.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
It was somewhat inevitable but Ryder's form will present a dilemma fairly soon. Either:

- Put him back in the NZ team soon (SA tour) - risk that he hasn't 'done the time', may not have sufficiently demonstrated that he really wants to be part of NZ team, only back in because BCs need him and may contribute to attitude that he can do whatever the hell he feels like.

- Leave him in domestix for most or all of the season - risk that he finds it far too easy to slap around domestic bowlers, loses the mindset required to tough it out against better bowlers, and develops technical flaws or shortcuts that will be exposed at higher level.

Mike5181

International Captain
It was somewhat inevitable but Ryder's form will present a dilemma fairly soon. Either:

- Put him back in the NZ team soon (SA tour) - risk that he hasn't 'done the time', may not have sufficiently demonstrated that he really wants to be part of NZ team, only back in because BCs need him and may contribute to attitude that he can do whatever the hell he feels like.

- Leave him in domestix for most or all of the season - risk that he finds it far too easy to slap around domestic bowlers, loses the mindset required to tough it out against better bowlers, and develops technical flaws or shortcuts that will be exposed at higher level.
Apparently it's up to Ryder when he comes back. If he made himself available for the South African series they said they would seriously consider him.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
The Herald article said it was up to Jesse when he came back, based on an interview where his manager basically said nothing. And to be fair, his manager has no idea how to play the media game.

It's a non-negotiable that Jesse goes to Africa. Just as Ben Cousins got a million chances because he was a rare talent, just as Dan and Richie get to bugger off and have sabbaticals because they are special, Jesse gets the same. Argue right or wrong, but we cannot afford to be without him. Then you have to find the right management, support and people around him to make it work.

Hell, if someone does a hammy tomorrow I'd take him to Sri Lanka. Tell him he's had plenty of time for mental recovery and get on that plane.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Hell, if someone does a hammy tomorrow I'd take him to Sri Lanka. Tell him he's had plenty of time for mental recovery and get on that plane.
Nah, as great as Ryder's been in this match, it is only one match. He needs to show that he can play like this consistently for a couple of months, before coming back into the international reckoning. Not just saying this because he's single handedly winning this match for Wellington. :ph34r:

Ouch, after a wicket first ball, Tarun's figures are looking a nightmare. Can't help but feel real sorry for the guy, he desperately needed a match against a lower standard of opposition, and instead runs into Ryder in murderous form. 150 up now, and an outside chance of a double if he hogs the strike.

EDIT: Ryder immediately bashes 20 runs in eight balls to turn an outside chance of a double into a dead cert if he stays until the end.

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Hi, we're Wellington and we suck, but we have Ryder.

CD to feel a little aggrieved having declared both their innings.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Argue right or wrong, but we cannot afford to be without him. Then you have to find the right management, support and people around him to make it work.
If he was fit (mentally and physically) then sure, NZ could really do with him. However, as much as he is a good batsman, the last time he was in the side he was clearly not in a good 'headspace', was a major distraction and far more trouble than he was worth. NZC and others can try to put right management, support etc in place, however outsiders can only do so much - ultimately the success or otherwise of Ryder's return will be determined by him and his desires.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
And he's out now. Should be a stroll for Wellington from here, but you never know with this team.

Cricket CoachDB

U19 Debutant
Well I think that's an emphatic indication that the break has done Jesse Ryder good! The bloke can't do much more than he has short of taking wickets with the ball too.

On cricketing ability, it's a no-brainer that he gets in the international side.

Redmond slightly upstaged in the first-game headlines. For the stats fans, his recent record:

2011/12: 157 runs from 11 innings at 14.27
2012/13: 256 runs from 2 innings at 128.0.

As turn-around's in form go, that takes some beating.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
In the movie money ball they picked one player who had a party reputation (i think been a while since I saw it), and other teams wouldn't touch that player. All they cared about was whether he could get on base.

Saying this with regards to Ryder obvs.

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
In the movie money ball they picked one player who had a party reputation (i think been a while since I saw it), and other teams wouldn't touch that player. All they cared about was whether he could get on base.

Saying this with regards to Ryder obvs.
Jeremy Giambi was the bloke. And yeah all they cared about was performance, though they ended up trading him because he didn't perform.

I think with Ryder the issue is that his off field stuff was actually having an impact on how he performed. I don't think it's unreasonable that we'd wanna get the best out of a bloke like Ryder - he really could be the best batsman in our team.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ryder - such a good player. Still, not exactly great signs from Wellington as a unit, even if they did get the win on the board. Not bowling out CD even once isn't a great sign.

Not that I won't take the win, mind!

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
The Northern Knights have announced their side for the opening clash of the HRV Cup, against the Otago Volts in Hamilton on Friday night.

Scott Styris - captain Waikato Valley
Graeme Aldridge Bay of Plenty
Corey Anderson Bay of Plenty
Brent Arnel Counties Manukau
Steven Croft Overseas Player
Anton Devcich Hamilton
Daniel Flynn Bay of Plenty
James Foster Overseas Player
James Marshall Northland
Daryl Mitchell Hamilton
Bradley Scott Hamilton
Brad Wilson Northland

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
If he was fit (mentally and physically) then sure, NZ could really do with him. However, as much as he is a good batsman, the last time he was in the side he was clearly not in a good 'headspace', was a major distraction and far more trouble than he was worth. NZC and others can try to put right management, support etc in place, however outsiders can only do so much - ultimately the success or otherwise of Ryder's return will be determined by him and his desires.
Absolutely it will be determined by him. I don't know what head space he's in at the moment so it's hard to say..but I don't know what 3 more months of first-class will achieve apart from inch Wellington closer to more expectancy and heartbreak and boost his runs tally. Maybe Sri Lanka is overcooking it but he needs to go to SA if his form continues.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Absolutely it will be determined by him. I don't know what head space he's in at the moment so it's hard to say..but I don't know what 3 more months of first-class will achieve apart from inch Wellington closer to more expectancy and heartbreak and boost his runs tally. Maybe Sri Lanka is overcooking it but he needs to go to SA if his form continues.
Jesse Ryder Shows Tons of Class - cricket - sport | Stuff.co.nz

Sounds like Ryder is unlikely to make an international comeback before the England tour.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
We'll see. If he continues to make a bag full of runs, I can't see why waiting until England arrives makes a lick of difference. But they may decide it does