Page 27 of 221 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777127 ... LastLast

Thread: *Official* New Zealand Domestic Cricket Season 2012/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket CoachDB View Post
    Also, no mention of van Beek in that Canterbury article: he has a contract, so I'd expect him to be in the equation along with Nuttall (who doesn't).
    He is playing, done in by Nuttall's club form apparently.

Opener Michael Davidson played numerous pull shots to the mid-wicket boundary in his knock of 79 and was ably assisted by Ben Cant (38), Dean van Deventer (28) and Scott Duggan (26*), who along with 35 extras provided the backbone to their total.

Sydenham's reply never really recovered after a disastrous start, with van Deventer (4-32) capping a fine all-round performance by ripping through their top order.

Old Boys-Collegians produced a stunning turnaround to defeat opening-round winners East Shirley by 65 runs at Burwood Park.

OBC set a modest 144, which was propped up by Matt McEwan (44) and Todd Astle (35), before they produced a disciplined bowling performance to rout Easts for 79.

Canterbury trio Ed Nuttall (4-19), McEwan (2-23) and Logan van Beek (2-24) were the chief destroyers for OBC, with Nuttall picking up his second four-wicket haul from as many games this season.
    I've watched a bit of Nuttall now and I think he may be this season's McClenaghan in surprise LFM (or LMF) performance, consistently swinging the ball back in for inside edges and LBW shouts etc., a lot of his runs conceded when he dropped short and attempted to be a 130kph dimestore hood like Wagner. Definitely expect he'll a better guy for the Cantabs than his World Cup stats suggested.
    Last edited by Kippax; 25-10-2012 at 03:10 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Feral Abacus View Post
    Another exaggerated personality stereotype conspiracy brought to you by Kippax.
    NZ RAIN RADAR . TAB CRICKET OPTIONS . KIPPAX CRICKET . DOOR TO THE VAULT

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Cheers for the info on Ben McCord

I think I'd be going for Brodie ahead of Pollard and Papps if I was running Wellington. Same probably goes for Boam over Elliott. Interesting to hear that Rance has gone there.

Lots of seamers in the shake-up for CD including the (for me) surprise of Lamb: is Bevan Small injured?

Interesting thoughts on Nuttall, Kippax. I've learnt that it is easy to get completely the wrong picture of a player by judging them on statistics in one short competition like a World Cup. I think I tend to give more credence to U18 and club stats than I do an U19 WC. Similarly Kurtis Patterson relatively disappointed there, but a Shield ton on debut is worth so much more.

Matt McEwan is another interesting name-some good all-round figures in pre-season. I'm surprised he hasn't gone to Wellington too to join the All Rounders Club, but I think he's a Kiwi so fails to conform to their transfer criteria..

International 12th Man
    Few left-armers to look at this season. Saw Wheeler bowl in Napier a couple of seasons ago and he was top-class. Swung it late at a very good clip. Mitch has the chance to step up with another big season and an injury or two (not to himself, of course). Boult continuing to rise hopefully, Wagner wanting to prove he's not a FC bully, McKay trying to prove he's being overlooked simply on his lack of hair, Nuttall, Ronnie Hira trying to become a FC option (doubt it) etc.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNZ View Post
    Few left-armers to look at this season. Saw Wheeler bowl in Napier a couple of seasons ago and he was top-class. Swung it late at a very good clip. Mitch has the chance to step up with another big season and an injury or two (not to himself, of course). Boult continuing to rise hopefully, Wagner wanting to prove he's not a FC bully, McKay trying to prove he's being overlooked simply on his lack of hair, Nuttall, Ronnie Hira trying to become a FC option (doubt it) etc.
    and Lonsdale. Had a good last season.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Kippax View Post
    For those who suspected the rise of Jeets and Franklin was Athlai dabbling in the dark arts, everything in the sig of the President of T.I.T.S. has now aligned.

Bangladesh Cricket News: Tamim Iqbal signs up for New Zealand T20 side Wellington Firebirds | ESPN Cricinfo
    MUAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA ITS ALL COMING TOGETHER

YEssssSSSS
    Direbirds FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

Also good to see Gillespie back in the team. Bit tiffed at the lack of Boam and Brodie is a bit of a harsh one. But we'll always have this problem till we can get rid of Elliott and Papps.

Also someone else besides me should run a T20 domestic selector. Always gets a bit of interest going in the HRV cup on here.

State Vice-Captain BackFootPunch's Avatar
    Picks for upcoming season (first game starts tomorrow)

Plunket Shield: Otago
    One day: Wellington
    HRV Cup: Northern Districts

Highest FC run-scorer: Neil Broom
    Highest FC wicket-taker: Brent Arnel (yuck)
    HRV Cup MVP: Scott Styris

Batting 6 in Test team at end of summer: Daniel Flynn
    Current nationally contracted player who gets dropped from FC team: Tarun Nethula

International 12th Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Immenso View Post

and Lonsdale. Had a good last season.
    Yup, very much so. So much more than a sweat band, which he was originally.

Plunket Shield: Otago
    Ford Trophy: Wellington
    HRV Cup: Auckland

Auckland know how to win in 20-over format, you can't overlook that. Otago will have wicket-takers coming out of their posteriors and Wellington are well overdue for a trophy. Can't wait for tomorrow

State Vice-Captain BackFootPunch's Avatar
    Heard rumours last season that Lonsdale had quite a fan in John Wright. He apparently thought Lonsdale would play for NZ in the next 2-3 years, so will be interesting to see how he progresses with Wright out of the picture.

International Vice-Captain Howsie's Avatar
    Super Mario Rampage 1 Champion!
    Plunket Shield: Northern Districts
    One day: Central Districts

James Baker for highest first class wicket taker.
    Northern Districts
    Proudly supporting KS Williamson, TG Southee, TA Boult, DR Flynn, BJ Watling, CJ Anderson and IS Sodhi

Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    [Picks for upcoming season (first game starts tomorrow)

Plunket Shield: Wellington

Highest FC run-scorer: Jesse Ryder
    Highest FC wicket-taker: Woakes

Batting 6 in Test team at end of summer: Fanko
    Current nationally contracted player who gets dropped from FC team: Tarun Nethula

Also regarding HRV selector - I can maybe run it - but want a show of hands who would enter, last two drafts we abandoned as only me and athers were keen.

Athers
    hurricane
    who else need 6 peeps.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

International 12th Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    [Picks for upcoming season (first game starts tomorrow)

Plunket Shield: Wellington

Highest FC run-scorer: Jesse Ryder
    Highest FC wicket-taker: Woakes

Batting 6 in Test team at end of summer: Fanko

Also regarding HRV selector - I can maybe run it - but want a show of hands who would enter, last two drafts we abandoned as only me and athers were keen.

Athers
    hurricane
    who else need 6 peeps.
    If Ryder goes near the top of the FC charts he'll play for NZ. Woakes isn't playing more than two Plunket matches, if any, is he? Agree on all the rest though - seeing Tarun's already been dropped from Hawke's Bay, makes sense he may miss CD at least on a green one early season.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveNZ View Post
    If Ryder goes near the top of the FC charts he'll play for NZ. Woakes isn't playing more than two Plunket matches, if any, is he? Agree on all the rest though - seeing Tarun's already been dropped from Hawke's Bay, makes sense he may miss CD at least on a green one early season.

3 games for Woaksey according to Cricinfo. He's good, he might go close..but nah. If he was playing all season, I'd have decent money on it though.

Isn't Tarun a "medium pacer" now? At least in his approach to the crease according to the piece on page 26. Should go well on green pitches! I get the feeling the selectors took one look at his reworked action and immediately contacted Astle without Tarun having a chance to use it: the "go back to domestic cricket" comments allude to him needing to try it out at a lower level than International. Which at least lends a soupçon of rationality to an otherwise harsh seeming dropping.

Banned
    Kiwi's have a domestic season?

Thread Information