Page 26 of 221 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676126 ... LastLast

Thread: *Official* New Zealand Domestic Cricket Season 2012/2013

I think Blain's probably right about wrist spinners being separate and distinct in them needing to learn to land the ball consistently and feel a freedom to experiment with variations without brutal repercussions. In fairness to the point though, in the game against the U19 Scots Wellalbidarned noted he was almost taking the piss with loop and toying with their limitations.
    Sodhi vs. Scotland U19 - YouTube
    Quote Originally Posted by The Feral Abacus View Post
    Another exaggerated personality stereotype conspiracy brought to you by Kippax.
    NZ RAIN RADAR . TAB CRICKET OPTIONS . KIPPAX CRICKET . DOOR TO THE VAULT

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Does anybody know Ben McCord's bowling style, batting number/hand and date-of-birth?

On another note-has de Boorder officially taken over as Otago skipper? It was Redmond last time I checked, but given his poor form last season, it would make sense for someone else to have a go.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Also, no mention of van Beek in that Canterbury article: he has a contract, so I'd expect him to be in the equation along with Nuttall (who doesn't).

State Vice-Captain BackFootPunch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricket CoachDB View Post
    Does anybody know Ben McCord's bowling style, batting number/hand and date-of-birth?

On another note-has de Boorder officially taken over as Otago skipper? It was Redmond last time I checked, but given his poor form last season, it would make sense for someone else to have a go.
    McCord is right arm, not super fast so I guess that'd make him fast-medium? I get those terms confused. Probably around 125-130 I'd guess. Bats right handed as well. No idea on date-of-birth though sorry.

And yeah de Boorder is the full time captain now. Redmond has scored runs in pre-season games so hopefully he'll continue that in the coming weeks.

International Vice-Captain Mike5181's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFootPunch View Post
    McCord is right arm, not super fast so I guess that'd make him fast-medium? I get those terms confused. Probably around 125-130 I'd guess. Bats right handed as well. No idea on date-of-birth though sorry.

And yeah de Boorder is the full time captain now. Redmond has scored runs in pre-season games so hopefully he'll continue that in the coming weeks.
    Late 120s-early/mid 130s is medium-fast, I guess. Fast-medium is for guys in the 135-140 range.

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket CoachDB View Post
    No, but I do know his parents (and his sister), and will be staying at their motel in a couple of weeks' time for a week, so could get an idea of his age...

17/08/1987, and open to an Ireland call-up apparently.
    Client List - Ben McCord
    The Home of CricketArchive

Some quality Stags culled | Hawkes Bay Sport | Surfing, Rugby, Soccer, Football, Cricket in Hawkes Bay

2012-13 four-day Plunket Shield competition at Nelson Park, Napier, from this Sunday (from): Kieran Noema-Barnett (captain), Roald Badenhorst, Doug Bracewell, Carl Cachopa, Jamie How, Andrew Lamb, Andrew Mathieson, Tarun Nethula, Jeet Raval, Mathew Sinclair, Kruger van Wyk, Ben Wheeler, William Young.

"It looks a little green at the moment and that'll depend on the weather in the week. We have all things covered. It would be unlikely, I think, that we'll go with four front-line seamers plus the two allrounders but we'll know more nearer the time."

That talking point during the long weekend was unwanted Black Caps bowler Tarun Nethula, who came across more as a front-arm medium-pacer rather than the classic behind-the-head action indicative of leg spinners.

"His action has changed and he sees that as a positive thing. He's probably got his arms higher than what he had historically but he's happy with the way it's coming out.

"I think it's something he's got to persevere with and he's happy with that. He landed it pretty well while we were training today [Monday] at lunch time," Hunt says.

Hawke's Bay senior men's coach Lincoln Doull dropped Nethula from his line-up for the Chapple Cup-winning final on Monday, opting instead for Taradale left-arm offspinner Ajaz Patel, although Patel was not required after the seamers skittled Manawatu for 90 to become one-day inter-district champions.

Patel, who has arrived here from Auckland, and left-armer Marty Kain, of Nelson, are the back-up spinners in the CD squad.

"Ajaz has done everything right since he's decided to come down to the Bay and have a shot.

"We're very pleased with him and, equally, Marty Kain's done well when we were down in Lincoln [Christchurch] recently," Hunt says, adding they are different type of bowlers but will probably play some part in the CD campaign this summer.

Former Northern Districts seamer Andrew Mathieson is the other new face in the equation.

"He's under contract so we brought him here to bowl fast.

"He's showing us a lot of good things so we've named 13, with an extra bowler, so he fits into that squad well."

Mathieson's a bit different to the others because, like Roald Badenhorst, he's a right-arm swing bowler who will be juggled with left-arm swing bowler Ben Wheeler.

"Andrew brings a different type of pace as an into-the-wicket bowler."

Former Wellington Firebird Andrew Lamb, who plays in the Horowhenua-Kapiti region, brings "a bit more experience" with his right-arm pace deliveries.

"He brings a different dimension and is very much a third seamer but bowls in the right areas and has done very well since he's been with us."
    Last edited by Kippax; 24-10-2012 at 08:23 PM.

International Vice-Captain Howsie's Avatar
    Super Mario Rampage 1 Champion!
    I wouldn't be surprised if Mathieson came in and dominated right away. He should've been playing first class cricket full time two or three seasons ago.
    Northern Districts
    Proudly supporting KS Williamson, TG Southee, TA Boult, DR Flynn, BJ Watling, CJ Anderson and IS Sodhi

Dump Nethula and go four-pronged!

Fits in with 'what the opposition wants least' theory, Sodhi's figures aside I was looking forward to that 2/200 pressure release from Nethula.

Cricket: Ryder named in Wellington squad | Otago Daily Times Online News : Otago, South Island, New Zealand & International News

Stephen Murdoch (c), Michael Papps, Mike Pollard, Jesse Ryder, Grant Elliott, Luke Woodcock, Luke Ronchi, Jeetan Patel, Andy McKay, Mark Gillespie, Scott Kuggeleign, Dane Hutchinson.
    Brodie axed! Boam out before Woakes even arrives.

Pretty surprised to see Pollard in ahead of Brodie and Boam personally. Papps and Elliott.. well they were always going to be there.
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Papps and Elliott... talk about dead weight. Boam is a more talented, younger version of Elliott imo. Pollard scored some runs in the warm up to get his nose ahead of the others. There will be a bit of competition for the firebirds this season!

McCord went to my school actually, was never that quick but was a good batter. Either Medium or Medium-Fast.

International Vice-Captain Howsie's Avatar
    Super Mario Rampage 1 Champion!
    Wellington are a blight on NZ cricket. How many of those players are born and bred Wellingtonians? I count five. Don't win anything, don't produce anything. Seriously, why bother with them?

We are bang to rights on being Chelsea and serving theatre-goers rather than guys who grew up to know their Reid Gate from their Dempster Gate, but is ND's niggly, small-ball mentality that much better for New Zealand cricket? Is opening with Yovich serving our cricket that much better than opening with Joe Carter? Denying Mathieson games for years you say for the sake of 'bad in the big picture, good in the small picture' guys like Aldridge and Arnel?
    Last edited by Kippax; 25-10-2012 at 05:26 AM.

On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    Quote Originally Posted by Howsie View Post
    Wellington are a blight on NZ cricket. How many of those players are born and bred Wellingtonians? I count five. Don't win anything, don't produce anything. Seriously, why bother with them?
    Reckon it has a bit to do with how wealthy and middle-class the city is. There are plenty of talented young kids playing high school cricket, but then they all go off to focus on their university careers and only a small portion stick to cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

Thread Information