Cricket Player Manager
Page 215 of 221 FirstFirst ... 115165205213214215216217 ... LastLast
Results 3,211 to 3,225 of 3314

Thread: *Official* New Zealand Domestic Cricket Season 2012/2013

  1. #3211
    State 12th Man Immenso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    792
    **** Henry is good. Looking forward to the video.

  2. #3212
    International Vice-Captain Mike5181's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    City of Sails
    Posts
    4,196
    I personally don't see how you can leave Matt Henry out of the ODI squad now. What's his record now? 35 wickets @ 14 or something similar. Throw in the fact he's averaging 18 with the ball in first-class, and he can be useful with the bat at times. He has to at least make the squad.

  3. #3213
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Swimming in the cry water of Antarctica
    Posts
    29,066
    Yep he's freakish atm. Came into FC and OD as a teenager and dominated from the word go.

    Any word on whether McCullum, McClenaghan and Vettori will be good to go for England yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

  4. #3214
    Cricketer Of The Year Bahnz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    Posts
    8,111
    Oh Blarg. Can we just hurry up and get Henry in the Black Caps already?!
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.


  5. #3215
    International Captain straw man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    l
    Posts
    6,355
    Yeah we should totally give Henry the Tim Southee treatment

  6. #3216
    Cricketer Of The Year Bahnz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    Posts
    8,111
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I don't think Milne should be playing ODIs atm. Gets smashed enough in the HRV Cup and Ford Trophy.
    I think ODI's is certainly a better bet for him than T20's. And he's actually done alright in List A's. 9 wickets in 4 matches at 26 and with an econ rate of 6 isn't bad (given how ridiculously high scoring this seasons Ford Trophy has been). Not a patch on Henry or Mills though.

  7. #3217
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Swimming in the cry water of Antarctica
    Posts
    29,066
    I can't even remember how Southee went when he first came into the Plunket Shield.

  8. #3218
    Cricketer Of The Year Bahnz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    Posts
    8,111
    Quote Originally Posted by straw man View Post
    Yeah we should totally give Henry the Tim Southee treatment
    Southee really hadn't done anything spectacular when he was called into the Black Caps. Had taken about 30 wickets at 28 apiece when he was called in, iirc. Good for a 19 year old, but nothing out of the ordinary (Milne, Small and Wheeler have all done comparably well in their first couple of seasons and none of them are anywhere near a test callup). The real reason he was brought into the side was because of his performance in the U19 World Cup (which really should've counted for sfa given how low the standard in u19 cricket is compared to FC cricket).
    Last edited by Bahnz; 26-03-2013 at 10:33 PM.

  9. #3219
    International Captain straw man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    l
    Posts
    6,355
    True, it was more based on U19s. And Henry is 21, not 19 like Southee was.

    Do we think it's a good idea to have him play ODIs first or wait for tests? I'm torn on this issue though usually in favour of saving for tests. I tend to think most bowlers' test performances are affected negatively by playing ODIs however for a few (e.g. Bond) I think it helped them.
    Last edited by straw man; 26-03-2013 at 10:41 PM.

  10. #3220
    State 12th Man Immenso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    792
    That U19 World Cup. Our bowling attack was Southee, Boult, Bracewell, Anderson.

    In Malaysia. Was hard to stop the ball swinging IIRC.

  11. #3221
    Cricketer Of The Year Bahnz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    Posts
    8,111
    Quote Originally Posted by straw man View Post
    True, it was more based on U19s. And Henry is 21, not 19 like Southee was.

    Do we think it's a good idea to have him play ODIs first or wait for tests? I'm torn on this issue though usually in favour of saving for tests. I tend to think most bowlers' test performances are affected negatively by playing ODIs however for a few (e.g. Bond) I think it helped them.
    I would say play him in ODI's... he has sustained success in the format and it's less likely to lead to injuries during this tender phase of his career (he's already had a back stress fracture, don't want to risk another).

    But I wouldn't include him at all unless there was a new ball spot available. So I'm really not sure whether there's a place for him atm, with Southee and Mills frontlining the attack.

  12. #3222
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Swimming in the cry water of Antarctica
    Posts
    29,066
    Nick Beard and Greg Morgan played more of a part then Dougeh iirc. The next WC was when Dougeh's bowling came into its own. Wheeler, Small, Bracewell, van Beek, Johnston, Anderson, Neesham and Boam in the team at once.

    A team of allrounders.

  13. #3223
    Cricketer Of The Year Bahnz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    Posts
    8,111
    Does anyone know why Henry wasn't included in that 2010/11 squad? Later this season he began his demolition of domestic FC batting lineups. Was he already too old, or did he miss out due to form?

  14. #3224
    U19 Debutant jcas0167's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    378
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahnz View Post
    Southee really hadn't done anything spectacular when he was called into the Black Caps. Had taken about 30 wickets at 28 apiece when he was called in, iirc. Good for a 19 year old, but nothing out of the ordinary (Milne, Small and Wheeler have all done comparably well in their first couple of seasons and none of them are anywhere near a test callup). The real reason he was brought into the side was because of his performance in the U19 World Cup (which really should've counted for sfa given how low the standard in u19 cricket is compared to FC cricket).
    Southee came in for the England T20 matches before the under 19 WC along with Ryder and made a big impression. I remember McCullum saying he was disapointed Southee was going to miss the ODI series because he was then off to the Under 19 WC. He was the player of the tournament and debuted in the third test on his return when Mills got injured.

    I think he had been earmarked as a future Chris Cairns so was fast tracked in.
    Last edited by jcas0167; 26-03-2013 at 11:10 PM.

  15. #3225
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Swimming in the cry water of Antarctica
    Posts
    29,066
    Might have been the timing. Milne never played a youth world cup either.



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. The man who revolutionised cricket
    By C_C in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 16-06-2011, 12:23 AM
  2. Replies: 32
    Last Post: 08-10-2009, 11:51 AM
  3. New cricket gear for the new season
    By Jakester1288 in forum Coaching and Equipment Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-08-2009, 04:52 AM
  4. Surrey 2002: A Cricket Captain Diary
    By SIX AND OUT in forum General
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 17-02-2005, 09:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •