Page 206 of 221 FirstFirst ... 106156196204205206207208216 ... LastLast
Results 3,076 to 3,090 of 3314

Thread: *Official* New Zealand Domestic Cricket Season 2012/2013

International Vice-Captain Mike5181's Avatar
    He'd be a good addition to the ODI team if he finds some form, and stays fit.

Both Henry and Bennett know a Champions Trophy spot is almost assured if they can cut through Ryder, Ronchi, Papps, Elliott, Franky and Jeets on Wednesday, will be an interesting battle.
    Last edited by Kippax; 11-03-2013 at 04:33 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Feral Abacus View Post
    Another exaggerated personality stereotype conspiracy brought to you by Kippax.
    NZ RAIN RADAR . TAB CRICKET OPTIONS . KIPPAX CRICKET . DOOR TO THE VAULT

I agree Bennett's action looks better, hardly Brett Lee like though! I guess you could argue he is because he isn't doing the 2 hand raise in delivery anymore. Appears sharp, 140+ by the looks of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike5181 View Post
    He'd be a good addition to the ODI team if he finds some form, and stays fit.
    Especially if he could average 40 opening the batting.

Speaking of opening the batting, what do they do about that in ODI's? Watling is not an ODI opener. Like he is not a test opener.

Give Rutherford another chance or four? Despite his poor List A record.

Bring Guptill back in (probably a good idea)?

Wait on Jesse and hope he will fix it?

Pick someone like Papps or How as a solution for the next few years, rather than throwing in a youngster?

To me - an ideal ODI team at the moment would have...

3. Williamson - Locked in
    4. Taylor - Locked in
    6. B McCullum
    8. NcCullum - Seems to be locked in
    9. Mills - Locked in
    10. McClenaghan - Locked in (if fit)

But then

1 & 2. As mentioned above - 2 of Guptill/Ryder/Rutherford/How/Papps/Worker

5. Elliot? Never been spectacular, but never really failed in ODI's
    It's a slot that needs more batsman than bowler. Looking at guys like Broom/Watling/Munro/Ronchi (as keeper or not)/Mitchell maybe? - Ryder would be good here and could bowl (but then you would want to find two openers better than him)

7. Franklin? Or is it time to pick a bowling all rounder and move on... But you're picking from Neesham/Wells (even though he has been opening?)/Ellis/Vettori would be ideal for this slot actually... Give up test cricket buddy.

11. A few to choose from Henry/Bennett/Southee/Bates, would probably leave Boult and Bracewell alone for tests if possible.

I like this...

Guptill
    Ryder
    Williamson
    Taylor
    Watling
    BcCullum
    Vettori
    NcCullum
    Mills
    Southee
    McClenaghan

7 bowling options. A bit of hitting down the order. Watling batting down the order (did an excellent job of this, then got shunted up)

My B team would be

Rutherford
    Papps
    Ronchi
    Broom
    Elliot
    Mitchell
    Franklin (he'd succeed at the next level down)
    Neesham
    Henry
    Bates
    CrapIDon'tHaveASpinner

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Guptill/Ryder is the obvious choice. Jesse can't be too far away surely?

Because of the ridiculous runs being scored in the Ford Trophy this season it won't just be a case of how many runs you score, but how you look doing so. I'm pretty confident it won't matter what Papps does because I suspect the selectors have all but blacklisted him in all formats. Jamie How has a good record but is known to be a slow starter and very boundary reliant so I'm not sure him combining with another reasonably boundary reliant batsman like Guptill is a good idea. Strike rotation wins ODIs. Anaru Kitchen doesn't have the best technique but he times the ball well. I don't know too much else about him though. Peter Fulton might also get a gig. His ODI record is respectable despite his long slump at the end of his last major stint.

George Worker and Jeet Raval might be in there too. There are almost too many batsmen scoring runs. You can't tell who has the goods and who is just cashing in on the roads.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

International Captain straw man's Avatar
    @ Jezroy - Would be tempted to fit Franklin into that A team for NcCullum.

Will also be suprised if we see Ryder any time soon.
    Last edited by straw man; 11-03-2013 at 06:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kippax View Post
    Both Henry and Bennett know a Champions Trophy spot is almost assured if they can cut through Ryder, Ronchi, Papps, Elliott, Franky and Jeets on Wednesday, will be an interesting battle.
    Bennett is surely still on restricted loads? Only bowled 6 overs in the match. I would assume this winter would be too soon.

International Vice-Captain Mike5181's Avatar
    1. Jesse Ryder
    2. Martin Guptill
    3. Kane Williamson
    4. Ross Taylor
    5. Grant Elliot/BJ Watling
    6. Brendon McCullum
    8. Nathan McCullum
    9. Kyle Mills
    10. Tim Southee
    11. Mitchell McClenaghan

Number seven is really the only problem spot. You've got Franklin, Neesham, maybe an Anderson? Ronchi if you wanted an extra bat.

Quote Originally Posted by Immenso View Post
    Bennett is surely still on restricted loads? Only bowled 6 overs in the match. I would assume this winter would be too soon.
    The Press wanted an NZC contract for him last June just months after the surgery, believe it or not.

Cricket | Pace bowler Hamish Bennett on track for... | Stuff.co.nz

The decision to snub Bennett is short-sighted and shows the selectors are looking back as much as forward.

Backing an injured player does comes with an element of risk, but Bennett seems at least a calculated one rather than an out-and-out punt.

The other cricketers who have had the major back surgery Bennett had with leading Christchurch surgeon Grahame Inglis have bounced back better and the amount Bennett is working on his recovery suggests he too will be the same.

With his height and pace, the now 25-year-old will likely play a big part in the New Zealand team's quick bowling future, especially as Chris Martin gets closer to retirement. That said, he will now be contracted with Canterbury and if he stays fit will waltz back into a contract next season.

He was also probably victim to the fact the quick bowling stocks look healthier and have more depth than ever.

Martin, Tim Southee, Kyle Mills and Trent Boult are all expected to keep contracts and Doug Bracewell is a shoo-in to earn his first. Bennett was also in contention with Wellington's Andy McKay and Mark Gillespie plus Northern Districts journeyman Brent Arnel.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha giving an injured Bennett a contract would be a 'calculated risk'. Yes I think NZC might have done that calculation.

Still bowls like a GI Joe with one of his arms stuck on backwards imo.

They didn't give Gillespie a contract last winter, because he got injured after his test heroics, and had historic fitness isuues. Really ****ing harsh IMO.

Yes I know - they passed over both injured Gillespie and Wagner to give a contract to Andy Ellis. Obviously that was ridiculous but not giving one to Bennett was a calculated non-risk.

Andrew Ellis... Hesson thinks he's a proven player in the shorter international formats. I dont know how, but with NZC concentrating on ODIs before the world cup, this fits with their (sh*t) plans.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Quote Originally Posted by straw man View Post
    @ Jezroy - Would be tempted to fit Franklin into that A team for NcCullum.

Will also be suprised if we see Ryder any time soon.
    Think we need to move on from Ryder, unless he really sorts himself out.

Thread Information