Page 191 of 221 FirstFirst ... 91141181189190191192193201 ... LastLast
Results 2,851 to 2,865 of 3314

Thread: *Official* New Zealand Domestic Cricket Season 2012/2013

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Haha wow I knew Arnel was excellent but I didn't think he had done that well. 52 wickets doesn't happen every season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by Immenso View Post
    I see Jamie How actually managed a decent season average of 40 in the end with a decent late run.

I never would have thought, when he was dropped 5 or do years ago, that he wouldn't be back in the team again within a year or so after sorting himself out with a bit of domestic cricket. It's very disappointing, but he just hasn't put any pressure on the selectors saying "pick me".
    Yes, I remember after he scored that 139(?) in an ODI against England in 2008 thinking he had finally cracked it and would be a mainstay of the top order. He also scored a 170 odd in a tour game later that year against New South Wales. He got hit on the head in the nets by Southee and then didn't really fire in the tests before being replaced by Guptill later in the season.

He did really well for CD when they made the IPL champions trophy in 2010. That lead to a recall for the World Cup team in 2011. He had a few chances but seemed to always get out caught on the boundary playing the pull shot IIRC. But he does seem someone who had the potential to do better at international level and is a great fielder.
    Last edited by jcas0167; 24-02-2013 at 05:42 PM.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    At least from what I've seen, his lack of a backfoot defence means he tries to defend balls slightly back of a good length off the front foot and the ball hits the splice or handle and he gets caught behind. He also has a tendency to pick the wrong delivery to drive straight down the ground, usually to an outswing bowler, and also get out caught behind.

He has hard hands too, so defensive edges usually carry and when he's in really poor nick he can reach for the ball too much.

When he's in good nick, he's still prone to brain fades in the 40s.

I'm a fan of How, and he is the best equipped opener in the country for test cricket, but he has too many flaws. He's not a polished turd but a rough cut gem and he's too old to change now imo.

International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by straw man View Post
    TOP RUN SCORER: Aaron Redmond with 941 at 55.35
    Runner up: Peter Fulton with 902 at 56.37
    heh
    Exit pursuing a beer

Quote Originally Posted by Bahnz View Post

Hopefully, the NZC puts that ICC money to good use and schedules a proper A tour later this year. Reckon a squad of 13 could include:

Raval, Redmond, Carlchopa, Broom, Mitchell, Latham (wk), Anderson, Wells/Neesham, Nethula, Milne (if fit), Wheeler (if fit), Arnel and Butler.
    Hopefully - but two problems...

1. Can NZC put the money to good use? Sound way too sensible.

2. With the way our test team is performing, would many want to play our A Team? Zimbabwe/Ireland/Bangladesh/Netherlands, maybe? Can't see many countries with good first class teams wanting to do it. Would be great to have a tour of either Australian or South African first class teams early next season, then get this next tier of players firing for next season's first class comp.

As for the team - Good mix of youth and experience. Maybe add in How, and have a squad of 15? And Flynn in there somewhere might be good. I wish Broom had been better managed - could have been a gun test number 6 by now.
    Last edited by Jezroy; 24-02-2013 at 09:38 PM.

Pretty confident Henry will tour. Post-operation Small, India A could be saying 'hey, not the ribs, not the ribs!' if we fluked a receptive track, but he probably won't tour. Sodhi probably a shoo-in to go ahead of Doull's "chronic excuse-maker" Nethula. Cribb will hope for some Tastle.

Neesham was tweeting about blundering and gullible domestic umpires btw, which he's now deleted. He's a bear with a sore head so he'll probably steel himself for a score in Queenstown now. KP to give him an approving word or two, encourage him to leave the bowling all-rounder's life behind, explore the full flourish of his sexier discipline.

Distrusting Neesham vs. Blundering Domestic Umps - YouTube
    Quote Originally Posted by The Feral Abacus View Post
    Another exaggerated personality stereotype conspiracy brought to you by Kippax.
    NZ RAIN RADAR . TAB CRICKET OPTIONS . KIPPAX CRICKET . DOOR TO THE VAULT

On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    Nah, if we can foot the bill, I can't see why any foreign board would have an issue playing us. It's not exactly as if A cricket is a big draw with the viewers. And playing our A team is hardly going to make opposition 2nd tier players go backwards as cricketers.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

The ECB wanted the England Lions to your NZ this summer, but we couldn't afford to host them. They are touring Australia instead.

They have the resources to send both test team and A team on tour at same time, with the 'Lions' in the same or similar conditions as the test team.

Not sure what it forts to host? But we hosted India A, couldn't manage both.

Cricket: CD players remain in Black Caps mix | Hawke's Bay Today

Among those who have caught the public eye is CD batsman Carl Cachopa.

"I think he's in line for the NZ A programme," Littlejohn says of the "robust" plans for a second-tier New Zealand team agenda, thanks to an injection of capital from the International Cricket Council (ICC) to help boost the Black Caps' status in the world pecking order.

While Cachopa has had a memorable and consistent year, it's imperative he maintains that standard for a couple of seasons.

"When players like him make that transition they'll have a better chance of performing."

Littlejohn feels in New Zealand there's a tendency to push players into the Black Caps squad too early.

"They get beaten up and it takes two years to get them back to where they were."

The NZ A programme, he feels, will provide the ideal platform for aspiring players to test their mettle in the subcontinent as the Black Caps prepare to tour there in the next three years.

Matches against Bangladesh, Pakistan, Afghanistan and Sri Lanka are in the pipeline to 2015.

"Putting my accountant's hat on, I'd say the New Zealand dollar will go further in the subcontinent to give us more bang for our buck," he says, revealing director of cricket John Buchanan is in the middle of negotiations with the ICC this week.

Tours to Europe and South Africa, he contends, will hit NZ Cricket's pockets much harder.

Besides, Littlejohn says it'll be a great opportunity for New Zealand's budding bowlers and batsmen to learn to play that aspect of the game from the best in the world.

"Tarun's very much in the mix as well," he says of Nethula, who toured with the Black Caps to West Indies and India but lost his continuity and, consequently, confidence with minimal game time.

"He's returned from an injury [shoulder] and is bowling really well so he needs to continue to perform because his opportunity will come as he's the best leg spinner in New Zealand."

With the Black Caps seldom employing two tweakers in the country, it often comes down to whether coach Mike Hesson wants a leggie, offie or simply a left-armer in his mix.

"I can tell you Tarun's name comes up regularly."

An injury-plagued Daniel Vettori, in the twilight years of his playing career, is unavailable while hot-again-cold-again Jeetan Patel is likely to be dropped after the recent forgettable tour of South Africa.

That has prompted suggestions of promoting short-form spinner Nathan McCullum to the test arena.

Littlejohn sees the wicketkeeping position a bigger challenge.

The calibre and quality of players such as BJ Watling, Van Wyk, Luke Ronchi and Derek de Boorder excite him.

"We need to work out who'll work well in which format of the game and stick with them.

"Mike Hesson's got to decide that but for now BJ is the incumbent and McCullum is doing it in the short form."

Watling has had a stellar stint with the bat but it's open to debate if he's the best gloveman behind the stumps.

With the Black Caps building a stable of about 10 fast bowlers, Littlejohn says Milne, who missed the South African tour with an ankle injury, remains in the equation.

"He's got back on the park as a batsman in a Hawke Cup match but we're hoping he'll be back bowling."

CD coach Alan Hunt says Milne is recovering well and is on track to begin the domestic one-day Ford Trophy campaign later this month.

A "little way off" in the scheme of things are injured CD seamers Bevan Small and Ben Wheeler and batsman and former New Zealand under-19 captain Will Young.

Quote Originally Posted by Immenso View Post
    The ECB wanted the England Lions to your NZ this summer, but we couldn't afford to host them. They are touring Australia instead.

They have the resources to send both test team and A team on tour at same time, with the 'Lions' in the same or similar conditions as the test team.

Not sure what it forts to host? But we hosted India A, couldn't manage both.
    Well hopefully this cash injection does help us - but it's only a short term thing - $2.14m over 3 years.

On reflection, I guess our A team would be quite competitive at home as they would be playing teams with very little experience of NZ conditions.

Also, we wouldn't want to send them to play Aussie state teams (for example) and see them get spanked. Don't think that would do any good.

Seem to remember the NZA team getting a bit out of this Zim tour a couple of year ago - New Zealand Cricket -
    Last edited by Jezroy; 24-02-2013 at 11:52 PM.

I wonder how much it would cost to send some players over to India to participate in a spin clinic? Matt Hayden said he particularly benefited from going to one in Chennai in 1998.

Not sure that they would fare too badly against Aussie state teams. The NZA team has been pretty competitive in the Emerging Players Tournament. I think Brownlie is someone who really demanded selection following his performances in that competition.

I remember there was a lot of hoopla about the live-in academy at Lincoln opening in the 90's. That seemed to be based on the Australian set up which had produced a number of stars. Why did that fall out of favour? Was it too expensive, or seen as ineffective? I remember Greg Loveridge who was in the original intake was critical of it, but hadn't read much else about why they moved away from that set up.
    Last edited by jcas0167; 25-02-2013 at 03:40 AM.

Martin Crowe and Iain O'Brien were pretty scathing. Phrases like 'outstanding disaster' and 'generation ruined' bandied about pretty liberally...

Martin Crowe : Martin Crowe: Why can't New Zealand score more hundreds? | Cricinfo Magazine | ESPN Cricinfo

During this time, in 1998, the New Zealand board set up an academy in Lincoln. Coaches and professors from Victoria were flown in. But any hope that the next generation would be given assistance and expertise on how to post world-class scores soon fell apart. It was an outstanding disaster.

Biomechanics became the new buzzword for New Zealand's finest batting talent. The theory passed on was that hand speed and power efficiency "through the shot" was everything. Out the window went footwork, body position, soft hands and hitting the ball late below the eyes. In came heavier bats, high backlifts, minimal footwork and going hard at the ball.
    Guest Column : Iain O'Brien: New Zealand's young attack a product of injury crisis | Cricinfo Magazine | ESPN Cricinfo

The academy took the best young players in the country and, for the winter, based them in Lincoln, Christchurch. The reward was coaching, an end-of-winter tour, and an opportunity to eat, sleep and breathe cricket for the off-season.

That all sounds great to a youngster. The issue was - and the system has now changed considerably - that all the bowlers who were sent to the academy were, in essence, turned into clones. Bowling actions were not just tweaked, they were thrown out and a complete remodelling process was started.

This "cloned" action was one based mostly on biomechanics. It was seen that this action was the most economical from an energy-output-to-pace-attained perspective. This action was seen to be the safest in relation to injury prevention. It was also seen to be the best from a technical point of view, as it allowed bowlers to swing it both ways with a similar action.

Where is the dotted line? Sign me up. This all sounds amazing. An action that won't cost me as much energy, I'd be injured less and I'd be able to swing it both ways. Too good to be true? Unfortunately it was. And for a while, New Zealand have been paying the price.

The "academy action" was implemented for all the right reasons. The statistics and the proof were there to back this programme.

But how many international bowlers have the same action? How many are clones of each other? Fast bowlers, just like their lazy spinner friends, are instantly recognisable by the often quite drastic differences and quirks in bowling actions - part of the beauty of our wonderful game.
    We don't often muddle up bowlers when we just glance up at one of them running in, because of these differences. Each bowler is different. And each bowler's body is different. Every body on this planet is different. Whether it be muscle size, limb length, or level of flexibility. We are all different. So how can we expect there to be one action to suit all types?

Making changes to reduce the risk of injury is commonplace. Usually this is done on the back of having an injury during the rehab process. I hate hearing this as often as I do.

A bowler's body has become used to doing what it does since he first let go of a ball. Take a fresh, fit 18-year-old; maybe been playing cricket since he was six and just starting out on a first-class career. He has been bowling in preparation for 12 years. His maturing body has become strong in the places in which it needs to be strong. Twelve years of associated functional strength work from bowling.

This build-up lends itself to only making tweaks to an action. Changes can, and often will, cause injury because you have made a change that a body isn't strong enough to endure, and the body doesn't have the 12 years of strength to rely upon to absorb the new forces and impacts.

Tweaks, not changes. Tweaks lead to changes, but slowly. And slowly is safely. Wholesale changes - remodelling - more than often will lead to serious injury, often stress fractures, because the body is just not used to this new action and can't absorb the new forces.

To draw an easy analogy, take muscle soreness after running for the first time in a few months. For a day or two after, we can be very sore. This is because the body isn't used to these activities. For a bowler doing something new, add in the straight line and rotational forces, the torque, the stresses, the sudden jarring and repetitive impacts, and then add up the amount of time a bowler has had to become strong in his action to be able to do this day in day out. How long will it take to make a change and then be strong enough to continue with the change before serious injury occurs?

There will be a phase where the body can absorb big changes and things can go along smoothly. Just ask three bowlers who could and should have gone on to more - Richard Sherlock, Te Ahu Davis and Taraia Robin. All remodelled by the academy, all had success, and then all came down with similar injuries within a year of each other. Three bowlers who were naturally quick, and whom New Zealand have missed out on.

It now seems that the decision, at 25, after my first season of first-class cricket, to turn down an opportunity to go to the academy was one of the better ones I have made. My action is my action. My coach was always tweaking it, I was always tweaking it, and all bowlers will make tweaks as the days, and years, go by. Tweaks are fine. Tweaks can lead to changes, but by making tweaks it is a slowly, slowly approach. The body can then adapt and become used to the new movements. Too big a change or too much time off leaves the foundations weaker and opens the door for injury.

Domestic Cricket: Bowling black mark for Wellington... | Stuff.co.nz

Wgtn requested to open with Ronchi in one-dayers by NZC, when he gets back.

Haha, more patronising and dubious commentary on the Stags...

CD's own arsenal aren't the most fearsome around. But they bowled stuff that captain Kieran Noema-Barnett could set a field to and realised the value of working in partnerships.
    Last edited by Kippax; 25-02-2013 at 01:21 PM.

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    Knew about the batting, but not the bowling. Shocking when you really think about it. All sounds good on paper but in practice...

You'd have to wonder, would it be worth setting up a new academy? Except have guys like O'Brien and Crowe teaching what they've talked about there.
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    The NZTailender Supporting XI:
    H Rutherford, T Latham, N Broom, M Bracewell, D Brownlie, BJ Watling, D de Boorder+, M Henry, B Wheeler, H Bennett, A Milne
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

First objective for the Lincoln HPC should be covered all-weather turf practice wickets (using the Dunedin Stadium technology).

I don't know what they do these days with the winter fast bowlers program. But I feel uneasy about gathering the nations most promising bowlers in one place to ruin their bodies on concrete based wickets)

Thread Information