Page 190 of 221 FirstFirst ... 90140180188189190191192200 ... LastLast
Results 2,836 to 2,850 of 3314

Thread: *Official* New Zealand Domestic Cricket Season 2012/2013

Congrats to CD. Good effort Otago, kept the pressure on until the last day.

Not sure if it was a choke, as there was no ****ing video scorecared

So a bit of a Plunket Shield summary? Highlights?

He only played 3 games, but probably Ben Wheeler for me. Also good to have D Bracewell in the comp for a decent amount of games and doing well with bat and ball.

With the bat: Ronchi. The guy is obviously motivated and determined for a crack at test cricket.
    Of the youngsters good to see 21 year olds Craig Cachopa and D Mitchell rack up numbers. Good to see consistency from Raval even if his ton came too late to really put pressure on selectors to pick him (should be his goal for next year)

Disappointments;
    T Boult not playing a single game of domestic red ball cricket. T Astle, and B Martin's post-SA numbers (huge opportunity for a spinner to step up).
    Ronchi's injury at just the wrong time after putting huge pressure on selectors and incumbent.
    Carl Cachopa sine the T20 break.

Edit: Bartlett's injury was a disappointment to me. I was really interested to see how he would go with a decent run in starting 11
    Last edited by Immenso; 24-02-2013 at 03:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Immenso View Post
    T Astle, and B Martin's post-SA numbers (huge opportunity for a spinner to step up).
    Nethula, Jeets and to a degree Sodhi did, tbf.

Not sure what exactly B Martin has done to oust Jeets since SA, but whatever. If they're thinking that Bruce would have done better than Jeetan bowling with those pitiful runs on the board and against that batting lineup on those pitches...well they must rate him very highly.

International Captain straw man's Avatar
    I see Jamie How actually managed a decent season average of 40 in the end with a decent late run.

I never would have thought, when he was dropped 5 or do years ago, that he wouldn't be back in the team again within a year or so after sorting himself out with a bit of domestic cricket. It's very disappointing, but he just hasn't put any pressure on the selectors saying "pick me".
    I agree - always rated How quite highly. It's the captaincy curse I tells ya. At 31 now he'll probably hang around in the domestic scene for a couple more years before a Sinclair/Fulton/Bell-like last hurrah at age 34 when we're desperate... with about as much success.

Congrats to CD. Good effort Otago, kept the pressure on until the last day.

Not sure if it was a choke, as there was no ****ing video scorecared
    Oi Flem, didn't you say something about Gillespie's celebrations after getting a wicket in this match? Where did you see?

So a bit of a Plunket Shield summary? Highlights?

He only played 3 games, but probably Ben Wheeler for me. Also good to have D Bracewell in the comp for a decent amount of games and doing well with bat and ball.

With the bat: Ronchi. The guy is obviously motivated and determined for a crack at test cricket.
    Of the youngsters good to see 21 year olds Craig Cachopa and D Mitchell rack up numbers. Good to see consistency from Raval even if his ton came too late to really put pressure on selectors to pick him (should be his goal for next year)

Disappointments;
    T Boult not playing a single game of domestic red ball cricket. T Astle, and B Martin's post-SA numbers (huge opportunity for a spinner to step up).
    Ronchi's injury at just the wrong time after putting huge pressure on selectors and incumbent.
    Carl Cachopa sine the T20 break.
    Agree with all of that. Add continual injuries to Milne, Small, Henry, Wheeler, Anderson as big disappointments. Would have liked more FC runs out of Neesham and Wells too.

Worker and Brodie poor as well, in a year when Papps, Redmond and Fulton scored big runs.

Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    Not sure what exactly B Martin has done to oust Jeets since SA, but whatever. If they're thinking that Bruce would have done better than Jeetan bowling with those pitiful runs on the board and against that batting lineup on those pitches...well they must rate him very highly.
    Yeah who knows. I wish Bartin all the best but have very low expectations.
    Last edited by straw man; 24-02-2013 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    Nethula, Jeets and to a degree Sodhi did, tbf.

Nethula already blew his opportunity be being dropped for discipline reasons, whatever they were. So, he blew it the most IMO.

So his decent season was I guess a step in his comeback for contention, and good on him for putting in the performance. But he obviously isn't going to get straight back in.

Discipline reasons?

I thought it was simply that he bowled so terribly in that West Indies warmup match that he was not considered again.

Agree with all of that. Add continual injuries to Milne, Small, Henry, Wheeler, Anderson as big disappointments
    In some ways, I take it as a positive. At this age, getting through with only niggles is OK, avoiding career threatening back or knee injuries.

I want these guys still in the game at 23, 24, 35. Then look out I reckon.

Although not sure how serious shin splints are?

That Milne spell would count as a season highlight, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by straw man View Post
    Discipline reasons?

I thought it was simply that he bowled so terribly in that West Indies warmup match that he was not considered again.
    Apparantly, that was reason given when Astle selected. Although it could be as minor as too much experimentation in the nets and stubbornly ignoring coaches. E.g. His experimental run-up and action for NZ A v India that Kippax highlighted.

I've read of no other juicy discipline issue

In some ways, I take it as a positive. At this age, getting through with only niggles is OK, avoiding career threatening back or knee injuries.

I want these guys still in the game at 23, 24, 35. Then look out I reckon.

Although not sure how serious shin splints are?

That Milne spell would count as a season highlight, actually.
    Well those eternally optimistic Ozzies (who are sounding more and more like NZ fans every week as they plot the steady upward trajectory of their young injury prone bowling attack), reckon that once a young bowler hits age 24ish and is keeping himself very fit and strong the injury problems should rapidly decrease. And this imo has some truth.

I think though that you're going to lose 2 of every 5 to injury before getting to that point, possibly more. Not necessarily injured out of the game but instead end up bowling at reduced capacity for the rest of careers like Arnel or Butler.

I would be very happy if three of Milne (20), Wheeler (21), Anderson (22), Small (21), Henry (21) could mature into bowlers that aren't injured much and so have a chance to get somewhere near their potential. (though I think Anderson's bowling should be limited to avoid injury and give his batting a chance to improve)
    Last edited by straw man; 24-02-2013 at 03:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by straw man View Post
    Well those eternally optimistic Ozzies (who are sounding more and more like NZ fans every week as they plot the steady upward trajectory of their young injury prone bowling attack), reckon that once a young bowler hits age 24ish and is keeping himself very fit and strong the injury problems should rapidly decrease. And this imo has some truth.

I think though that you're going to lose 2 of every 5 to injury before getting to that point, possibly more. Not necessarily injured out of the game but instead end up bowling at reduced capacity for the rest of careers like Arnel or Butler.

I would be very happy if three of Milne (20), Wheeler (21), Anderson (22), Small (21), Henry (21) could mature into bowlers that aren't injured much and so have a chance to get somewhere near their potential. (though I think Anderson's bowling should be limited to avoid injury and give his batting a chance to improve)
    Yeah, think I read the same Aussie sports science article. Which has adjusted my expectations for bowlers in this age group.

Nethula already blew his opportunity be being dropped for discipline reasons, whatever they were. So, he blew it the most IMO.

So his decent season was I guess a step in his comeback for contention, and good on him for putting in the performance. But he obviously isn't going to get straight back in.
    I don't even rate him that highly as a bowler, but it was shocking how he went from back-up spinner to having a batsman/part timer picked over him (sorry Tastle). There was one point when I genuinely thought they were going to give him a shot over Patel, and then bang he was out of the team.

The disciplinary things...quite frustrating really. They always say things like "not fitting into the team culture" and crap like that...I do believe in making players responsible for their own actions, but really it's also a management issue if young promising players are having disciplinary issues.

International Vice-Captain Mike5181's Avatar
    Young player Plunket Shield career update:

Bowlers:
    Matt Henry 37 wickets @ 18.51
    Tim Southee 96 wickets @ 22.50
    Bevan Small 24 wickets @ 23.24
    Trent Boult 73 wickets @ 24.39
    Ben Wheeler 44 wickets @ 26.15
    Adam Milne 29 wickets @ 26.41
    Anurag Verma 14 wickets @ 33.07
    Doug Bracewell 65 wickets @ 36.49

Batsmen/allrounders:
    Kane Williamson 1763 runs 56.87 + 34 wickets @ 37.79
    Daryl Mitchell 756 runs @ 50.40 + 8 wickets @ 31.00
    Craig Cachopa 907 runs @ 47.73
    Hamish Rutherford 1347 @ 40.81
    Jeet Raval 2337 runs @ 38.95
    Will Young 376 runs @ 37.6
    Harry Boam 1170 runs @ 35.45 + 33 wickets @ 39.69
    Corey Anderson 1246 runs @ 33.67 + 19 wickets @ 44.84 (First good season with the bat, averaged 51. Didn't do much damage with the ball.)
    Thomas Latham 1171 runs @ 32.52
    Jimmy Neesham 665 runs @ 25.57 + 35 wickets @ 34.28 (Averaged 40 with the bat, and 33 with the ball this season.)
    Last edited by Mike5181; 24-02-2013 at 04:24 PM.

On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    Frustrating season from a developmental point of view, none of the young openers really put their hands up, and only Raval and Rutherford managed decent returns. And none of the young quicks could stay fit for more than a few games. From my limited understanding of shin splints, it's a bit like a stress fracture, though not quite as serious. Milne will be out for a while, but I don't think his career is in any jeopardy.

It was good to see Anderson getting through a season without any serious injuries (broken finger aside). I suspect he's probably lost the potential to develop into a genuine wicket taker at the top level, but he's still got plenty of class with the bat, so I suspect he'll be back in the NZ team before too long. To come back after virtually no first class cricket in 3 years, and still average close to 50 is a good effort.

Hopefully, the NZC puts that ICC money to good use and schedules a proper A tour later this year. Reckon a squad of 13 could include:

Raval, Redmond, Carlchopa, Broom, Mitchell, Latham (wk), Anderson, Wells/Neesham, Nethula, Milne (if fit), Wheeler (if fit), Arnel and Butler.
    Last edited by Bahnz; 24-02-2013 at 05:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahnz View Post
    Hopefully, the NZC puts that ICC money to good use
    and you call me a hopeless optimist
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Cbf going back and digging up predictions for this season but:

TOP RUN SCORER: Aaron Redmond with 941 at 55.35
    Runner up: Peter Fulton with 902 at 56.37
    Highest average (qual 400 runs): Colin Munro with 623 at 124.60

TOP WICKET TAKER: Brent Arnel with 52 at 25.78 (might include a couple from NZ A game)
    Runner up: Mark Gillespie with 45 at 31.37
    Lowest average (qual 20 wickets): Ryan McCone with 37 at 19.43

WINNER: CD

I picked Arnel but didn't get CD and I doubt anyone thought Redmond would top the runs this season.

Thread Information