• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand Domestic Cricket Season 2012/2013

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Might venture on some season-opening XIs...

Brodie vs. How
Papps vs. Raval
Murdoch vs. Cachopa
Ryder vs. Sinclair
Elliott vs. Noema-Barnett
Woodcock vs. Young
Ronchi/Papps vs. van Wyk
Boam/Friday/Hutchinson/Gillespie vs. Bracewell
Jeets vs. Nethula
Kuggs vs. Small
McKay vs. Wheeler/Mathieson/Badenhorst

I'd be hopeful Jeets can make his a 10-8 round tbf.

Last edited:

Cricket CoachDB

U19 Debutant
That's been said about him by lots of people ever since he was a kid; I think it's as much about people not really rating his bowling as highly as his performances dictate as it actually about his batting though. The fact that he's come into county cricket and immediately become an almost unparalleled opening bowler at that level across his career has been quite a surprise, even to those who rated him as the next big thing.

His batting has always been perceived to have more natural talent about it; Nick Knight went on record to say that he was the second best young batsman he'd ever seen come out of Warwickshire after Ian Bell, and that the gap wasn't very large.

Yes, Vaughan for one doesn't seem to particularly rate his bowling. I've heard many TMS comments about how he "lacks the pace to trouble international batsmen". Which is utter hogwash IMO: sure he's suited to swinging it in English conditions, but he's a genuine RFM-and smart. His 6/45 versus the Aussies was ample evidence of that. If anything may hold his bowling back, it's the persistent injuries he's had.

His batting came later in terms of results-he was very much a number 8/9 early on, but has always played with freedom and belief. He's undergoing something of an Emburey-like rise through the batting order, and he would be a top 6 at most Counties by now (we have a stupidly deep order at Warwickshire). I don't think he'll ever be a genuine Test class batsman, but he is already superior to Bresnan, Broad and co, and would do great at 7 with someone like Prior ahead of him. Then we might be able to talk about a truly balanced England team for the first time post-Flintoff, especially on the Subcontinent. I'd have him on the tour of India now for that reason.

As a lifelong Bear, I am of course massively biased :wub:

Last edited:

Cricket CoachDB

U19 Debutant
Might venture on some season-opening XIs...

Brodie vs. How
Papps vs. Raval
Murdoch vs. Cachopa
Ryder vs. Sinclair
Elliott vs. Noema-Barnett
Woodcock vs. Young
Ronchi/Papps vs. van Wyk
Boam/Friday/Hutchinson/Gillespie vs. Bracewell
Jeets vs. Nethula
Kuggs vs. Small
McKay vs. Wheeler/Mathieson/Badenhorst

I'd be hopeful Jeets can make his a 10-8 round tbf.
I'd forgotten about Dane Hutchinson. Some pretty impressive Grade statistics last season that make you wonder if he wouldn't have deserved a Futures chance: http://mycricket.cricket.com.au/common/pages/public/rv/cricket/bowlingav.aspx?entityid=12832

It'll be interesting to see how he goes: although I think he'll be behind Kuggeleijn, if Gillespie isn't back, I think he'll start ahead of Friday.

Cricket CoachDB

U19 Debutant
You'd have to hope that bringing in quality will lead to the bar being raised and people having to push themselves even harder to keep their place, healthy competition. Plus of course Woakes might bat at 6...although then it's an all-rounder/batsman missing out. Either way, if you were to pick an ideal County signing, Woakes would probably be it.

I've got a hunch that Hutchinson is going to do well, and with Kuggeleijn's pace and age on his side, there's plenty more to come from him. It's a strangely put together side, and it could all fall to pieces. But when you factor in Ronchi, and with Ryder and Murdoch not interesting the national selectors, they look better set up this season than they have for a while.

Howsie

International Captain
Do Wellington have any intentions of playing Tipene Friday this season? Still can't believe he's only managed the one first class game so far in his career. Every off-season he seems to make the NZ academy with half a dozen regular first class youngsters, yet he can't seem to get a game with the Firebirds.

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
McKay making that NZ A four-day side was a pity for Friday, and everyone really. People will now persist with the idea his 'different angle, quicker' point of difference makes him integral to the Wgtn attack, but he's rarely an LBW threat, so nothing ever comes of it.

Not a real season-opener, it does come just one round in. Howsie to probably correct.

Wilson vs. Vincent/Parlane
Yovich vs. McIntosh
J Marshall vs. Kitchen
Flynn vs. Hopkins
Hatwell/Mitchell vs. de Grandhomme
Anderson/Devcich vs. Munro
? vs. Young
Aldridge vs. Bates
Sodhi vs. B Martin
Arnel vs. McClenaghan
Baker/Hampton vs. C Martin

Last edited:

Cricket CoachDB

U19 Debutant

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
It sound's like it's just in the Plunket. Possibly a tacit acknowledgement that Elliott is no longer a guaranteed starter in their best 4-day side? That could just be me writing someone off based on a mediocre statistical season again though :unsure:
Yeah, looks like it is the Plunket side.

I guess it makes sense, Elliot had a poor season last year but couldn't really be dropped even though Wellington have an abundance of similar players (Franklin, Boam)

If Elliot found the captaincy a distraction, then makes sense to split the responsibilty.

However it does sound spookily similar to A de Boorder's new role at the start of last season; promising batsman - but with only 2 decent seasons under his belt, not guaranteed pick in all forms .... I hope it works out better for Murdoch. At least the season structure is better this year.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Ajaz Patel is a slow left-arm orthodox, incidentally. Don't know DOB. Used to bowl left-arm swing and changed. Quite a decent T20/limited overs bowler.
Cricket: Lincoln Doull spoilt for choice | Hawkes Bay Sport | Surfing, Rugby, Soccer, Football, Cricket in Hawkes Bay

"Ajaz bowled well in the twenty/20 tournament a fortnight ago. He slides the ball nicely and doesn't spearhead the ball but gives it good flight so he has a good chance of playing for CD depending on how Tarun goes with New Zealand Cricket this summer,"

CD sounding like they're at virtually full-strength heading into this long weekend tourney amongst themselves.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
It sound's like it's just in the Plunket. Possibly a tacit acknowledgement that Elliott is no longer a guaranteed starter in their best 4-day side? That could just be me writing someone off based on a mediocre statistical season again though :unsure:
Grant Elliott
Nickname: Shunt.

Need we say more?

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
and Magic! :@ Boam will need to implore to Siddons that he's the future of NZ cricket (more than Elliott is) and a former U19 top 4 bat.

Boy, Cantabs. Was Jarvis available to mitigate the ****ness of another heavily depleted side? :p
Gareth Andrew (3 Balls) - YouTube

http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/sport/7836187/Wizards-conjure-all-round-cover

Canterbury Wizards conjure all-round cover
MATT RICHENS

Injuries to key quick bowlers have forced the Canterbury cricket side to enlist the services of a little-known import.

English 28-year-old Gareth Andrew joins the side on Monday and will play the first half of the season including the domestic Twenty20 competition.

Andrew, a bowling all-rounder, will help plug a gap left by injuries to Hamish Bennett and Matt Henry.

New Canterbury coach Gary Stead said Bennett is out for at least the first two Plunket Shield games while The Press understands Henry's recovery is on track but he is unlikely to feature in any way before January.

Cricket CoachDB

U19 Debutant
and Magic! :@ Boam will need to implore to Siddons that he's the future of NZ cricket (more than Elliott is) and a former U19 top 4 bat.

Gareth Andrew (3 Balls) - YouTube

Cricket | Canterbury Wizards conjure all-round cover... | Stuff.co.nz
He had a great season in 2011, coming 2nd in the PCA's MVP Rankings, but a rough time by comparison in 2011: he dropped to 89th in MVP's (not brilliant for an all-rounder). His bowling dropped off so much in 4-day that, with Worc's batting line-up crumbling as they tumbled to relegation, they toyed with him being picked in the top 6 (at least one position too high).

I might just be bitter still after he did this to us: Warwickshire v Worcestershire: Gareth Andrew seals thrilling win in the dark | Warwickshire v Worcestershire, Friends Life t20, Edgbaston Report | Cricket News | ESPN Cricinfo

He's much more useful in the shorter formats, where his weakness against the short ball isn't exposed quite so often and his power can come into it's own.

It could be an inspired signing. It all depends which Gareth Andrew turns up! The 2011 vintage was a different beast entirely to that seen last season.

I guess this means no Mitch Claydon for Canterbury this season?

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
For those who suspected the rise of Jeets and Franklin was Athlai dabbling in the dark arts, everything in the sig of the President of T.I.T.S. has now aligned.

Bangladesh Cricket News: Tamim Iqbal signs up for New Zealand T20 side Wellington Firebirds | ESPN Cricinfo

Tamim Iqbal will play for Wellington Firebirds in this season's HRV Cup. Tamim will join the New Zealand domestic side after Bangladesh's series against West Indies, and is expected to play seven games in the Twenty20 competition.